PDA

View Full Version : Honda Civic "Genuine" body kits = "Mugen"?

ib3nji
03-02-2008, 04:26 PM
Hello all.

First off i am quite new to this forum and i admit i am finding it very helpful seeing what people have done to their civics and how people are going with them. I thinking of purchasing one which will be my first car.

And yes some of you have very good looking Civics :D

Well my question is probably going to be one of those "are you stupid?" type of questions. Basically i am for $29K thinking of getting a VTI-L Manual in sparkle Grey drive away WITH Honda "genuine" accessories. including:

Front and rear under spoiler
Side Skirts
Boot spoiler
Fog Lights
Exhaust pipe finisher
Interior L.E.D lights
Mat set
Sill garnish set
window tinting

My question though is these body kits that are from Honda are they re-branded "mugen" body kits totally stupid question i am sure but many people seem to mention "Mugen". I am sure Honda get the design or get them from somewhere and just re-brand it as their own??? or am i wrong?

On another note has anyone personally got a VTI or VTI-L (even sports) with the genuine body kits from Honda? I have seen plenty of VTI-L's around but only once with the body kits on.

Ben

shadou
03-02-2008, 04:38 PM
I'm pretty sure genuine Honda body parts are of Modulo design and not Mugen.

JaCe
03-02-2008, 06:29 PM
99% of the kits you buy from Honda will most likely be Modulo. Unless they specifically and explicitly mention "Mugen", it's not. I know in some markets (e.g. Malaysia, and USA) it is possible to get either factory or dealer-fit genuine Mugen kits, this is not the case in Australia I believe. Some dealers MAY be able to source the kit and fit it for you if you request it- but it's definitely not a standard option.

As for the Modulo kit- I've seen a few here and there, but I didn't feel it was worth it since it looked relatively subtle, yet the price definitely was anything but that.

ps. Your price seems alright- if it was me though I wouldn't get the Modulo spoiler and would go Mugen :)

ib3nji
03-02-2008, 07:13 PM
99% of the kits you buy from Honda will most likely be Modulo. Unless they specifically and explicitly mention "Mugen", it's not. I know in some markets (e.g. Malaysia, and USA) it is possible to get either factory or dealer-fit genuine Mugen kits, this is not the case in Australia I believe. Some dealers MAY be able to source the kit and fit it for you if you request it- but it's definitely not a standard option.

As for the Modulo kit- I've seen a few here and there, but I didn't feel it was worth it since it looked relatively subtle, yet the price definitely was anything but that.

ps. Your price seems alright- if it was me though I wouldn't get the Modulo spoiler and would go Mugen :)

ah k yep yeah the price seems quite decent to me. I believe they also can get "talon" cheap stuff but i have said no to that. And thanks yeah i will consider that option, from memory actually my dealer had a brochur on mugen stuff.

I think i will stick to the genuine body kits but i will look at the spoiler :)

FallenAngel
03-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Yep price seems pretty good. I know of a friend who has a VTI with the modulo kit (the one your getting) and it doesn't look too bad..

ib3nji
03-02-2008, 09:18 PM
Yep price seems pretty good. I know of a friend who has a VTI with the modulo kit (the one your getting) and it doesn't look too bad..

Yeah i been seeing civics around (funny i been seeing them a lot more since i been researching into them lol) and i never have seen one with the body kits on (that is the genuine Honda Body kits). Until the other day i came across one parked in a Sydney underground car park in this sports ground and i looked at it and just went "wow". sure there are body kits out there that are way better but i thought it looked quite decent.

It was hard to go off the pictures in the Honda brouchure they can be deceiving at times.

Foxtail
04-02-2008, 07:44 AM
Anyone have links to where after market body kits can be purchased in OZ?.

denot
04-02-2008, 09:28 AM
Anyone have links to where after market body kits can be purchased in OZ?.

yeah... http://www.google.com.au

or ebay, or hot4s or traders in ozhonda...

search search search ppl... :p

JaCe
04-02-2008, 05:24 PM
I personally think the Honda brochure is angled in such a way that it makes the car look considerably lower/deeper than it really is. If you're negotiating on bodykit, aim for around $500 for the spoiler, and under $1700 for the rest of the kit.

As for aftermarket body kits, apart from the Mugen one which can be bought from JDM Concept here (or on eBay), it's quite hard to source. I have a guy who can get the INGS kit but he works on a 'mates basis' kindof thing so if you want him to order for you, he may require a considerable upfront deposit to protect himself.

ib3nji
04-02-2008, 05:27 PM
I personally think the Honda brochure is angled in such a way that it makes the car look considerably lower/deeper than it really is. If you're negotiating on bodykit, aim for around $500 for the spoiler, and under $1700 for the rest of the kit.

As for aftermarket body kits, apart from the Mugen one which can be bought from JDM Concept here (or on eBay), it's quite hard to source. I have a guy who can get the INGS kit but he works on a 'mates basis' kindof thing so if you want him to order for you, he may require a considerable upfront deposit to protect himself.

exactly the brochures can be very very deceiving at times but yeah i am gtrying to negotiate lower than $29,000 but i been told for all of that which obviously also requires labour $29,000 is a good price.

JaCe
04-02-2008, 09:04 PM
exactly the brochures can be very very deceiving at times but yeah i am gtrying to negotiate lower than $29,000 but i been told for all of that which obviously also requires labour $29,000 is a good price.

Good price especially if you don't intend to change to any other brands/makes of aftermarket kits.

pboi
14-05-2011, 10:41 PM
http://webservices.honda.com.au/resources.ashx/Accessories/209/ImageZoom/245E4074A7CC5F0AAF3D2F223B82406D/Mod_FrontSpoiler.jpg
anyone know how much this front add on cost through honda?

ekay1
15-05-2011, 02:32 PM
I'll be guessing around the 1k mark?

stevo1210
21-05-2013, 10:08 PM
http://webservices.honda.com.au/resources.ashx/Accessories/209/ImageZoom/245E4074A7CC5F0AAF3D2F223B82406D/Mod_FrontSpoiler.jpg
anyone know how much this front add on cost through honda?

I understand this is a 2 year old thread, but to answer your question (and for others to refer to it), the price for that front under spoiler is $450 with GST. They come painted from the factory. Installation give or take around $100.
The rear under spoiler is also $450 with GST, side skirts are an extra $10 at $460 with GST. Installation for ALL three bits is $220.