PDA

View Full Version : 2002 V6 auto question

Rattlehead
04-02-2008, 09:11 AM
Hi guys,

I just purchased a 02 Accord V6-L and I noticed the auto is a bit 'different' to other autos.
Just wanting to know if this behaviour is 'normal' in this model.

Firstly, the car seems to shift from 1st to 2nd at roughly 4k rpm on what I would say is normal throttle.

Secondly, when I'm in say 3rd or 4th gear and I floor it, it seems to rev to 4k rpm, downgear, revs drop to 3.5-3.7k rpm and then go. It happens pretty fast but it's noticeable.

So is this normal or am I a victim of a common auto transmission problem?

The car is still under warranty, so if it's an issue, I'd like it addressed asap.

Thanks! :)

SiReal
04-02-2008, 09:22 AM
you've got the last of that particular model. those accords arent known for having terrible transmissions..how many k's does it have?

i have a 4cyl and we are prone to transmission failures as well...but my 1st to 2nd shift happens were i want it to happen. so just lke any auto, i can shift at 2.5K or 3K usually, or up until red line at 6.2K.

if i'm in 3rd or 4th, i would assume , lets say going around 70kms. I floor it, the car would jump down into second and go from there.. it would go into second gear up until i have over 100km/h or thereabouts... But for the car to rev up a little before shifting is normal, the computer is thinking about how to process the change in throttle...

How are your shifts? Are they smooth? and are you using genuine honda auto tranny fluid ? Gen Honda ATF works absolute wonders for your dogbox..so if unsure, go get a full tranny service using the genuine stuff...

If your tranny is gone, the D4 indicator on your instrument cluster will flash.

Rattlehead
04-02-2008, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the response!

I've been reading the V6 auto's are prone to problems, but it seems ok...like the shifts are smooth and power delivery is fine. Just the flooring it part seems a bit whacked. It feels like it bangs into gear because of the revs dropping after it shifts down.

Tonight I'll be driving a friends '01 Accord that is auto and I'll see if it does the same thing. He says it doesn't do the rev drop after the downshift ... so if mine is unique in anyway, I'll take it back to the Honda dealer I got the car from and demand a auto service or something.

Since the car was bought from a Honda dealer (courtney & patterson) I assume it's serviced with gen Honda oils and stuff. Plus it's got 3 year warranty, so if there's a problem, be nice to fix it now.

SiReal
04-02-2008, 12:21 PM
i would suggest that you do not hesitate driving it as much as you can in the first 3 years - not only to enjoy, but also to ensure all teething problems (no pun intended) are addressed.

it shouldn't 'bang' into gear, so get that looked at. it should shift smoothly and then u would feel the surge in acceleration, as well as a change in engine note.

if you're into photoshoots and cruises, i'm keen to organiise a CG/CK accord event. We have approx 4 to 5 members here with that car ...

would be something different.

EuroDude
04-02-2008, 02:31 PM
Perhaps an ECU reset and Tranny Fluid change will help, or perhaps the speed sensor has a problem.

aaronng
04-02-2008, 03:50 PM
I'd change the ATF for sure. Use only Honda ATF.

Rattlehead
05-02-2008, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the advise...

I reset he ecu last night and this morning whilst driving into work I noticed an extra shift point from 1st to 2nd at around 2.5k rpm. I haven't floored it yet...

I'll get the auto serviced sometime soon. Thanks again for the help!

mykool_itr
10-02-2008, 06:48 AM
Since the car was bought from a Honda dealer (courtney & patterson)

:wave: x2 from buying car from there hehe, man i been driving for a while nows. theres something wrong with my idling and speedo.

can someone help me with this one as its annoying me abit when i drive it

Rattlehead
10-02-2008, 09:03 AM
I went to another Honda dealer to buy some parts (some prick tapped my tail light) and I asked one of the mechanics about the auto and stuff and he said that when I get my car serviced next time to get the fault codes removed or reset or something. He says it's different to resetting ecu.

Does that make sense to anyone and if that will make any difference?

amato2
11-02-2008, 11:15 PM
Hey since i pretty much have th same car, i notice to sometimes that when im taking off from 1st sometimes the car just holds that gear until 4k and i am not moving anywhere really fast, my guessin is the ratios of the gears or perhaps maybe our slightly less meaty mid range power... have a look at v6performance.net, they have a lot of info about the issues with our car aswell as heaps of other cool stuff... yeah my car just hit 40k now n just got the major service done so much smoother with a fresh tank of gen Honda ATF

Hope this helps :)