PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Civic VTi - Knocking Noise

nuffsaid
04-02-2008, 09:16 AM
Hi all

The car is only 250kms old and what I have noticed is soft knocking noise coming from the engine/tranny area when:

- car is on a slight hill, and you step on the accelerator gently to get the car going up the hill at a very slow speed

It normally does this after the car is warm and has been driven around.

Has anyone experienced this? is it normal? I find it quite frustrating as the car is practically brand new.

Thanks

warwick108
04-02-2008, 12:57 PM
my kinda does that aswell.. its a once off knock right?...
sounds like its coming from a spring??
and happens when you go from like a drop.. not exactly a drop..
but from a step..
=(.. i took mine back. and its still happening.. I gotta brng mine back

nuffsaid
05-02-2008, 08:17 AM
Nah its more like a knock knock knock until some more speed or revs are picked up

gerard
05-02-2008, 09:12 AM
RU describing Pinging?
If so, return it to the dealer ASAP

From Wiki: "pinking or pinging)— colloquially detonation—in internal combustion engines occurs when combustion of the air/fuel mixture in the cylinder starts off correctly in response to ignition by the spark plug, but one or more pockets of air/fuel mixture explode outside the envelope of the normal combustion front. In non-diesel combustion engines, the fuel-air charge is designed to be ignited by the spark plug only, and at a precise time in the piston's stroke cycle designed for the engine. When Detonation (Knocking) occurs two or more combustion fronts will exist and their resultant collisions produce a sudden rise in cylinder pressure and a shock-wave which will reverberate around the cylinder[1]. The peak of the combustion process no longer occurs at the optimum moment for the four-stroke cycle. The resulting shock-wave reverberates in the combustion chamber, creating the characteristic metallic "pinging" sound, and pressure increases catastrophically. It can range from hardly noticeable to complete engine destruction."

oniononline
05-02-2008, 09:34 AM
I have both engine knocking and spring knocking issue, I guess many people have them. Then engine knocking happens at low rpm (still within acceptable rpm/speed range, eg: on 2nd gear @ 1800rpm, its like vroo..vrooo vroo.. then after more gas applied, vrooom....

For spring knocking, happens when I accelerate from stationary a little fast, or break at low speed and turning at the same time. Feels like you've hit something.

denot
05-02-2008, 09:49 AM
mine make a soft knocking sounds when I drove it under heavy rain this morning (5am-ish)... dunno where it comes from though and when i drove it to work today (8.30am-ish) its gone...

nuffsaid
05-02-2008, 09:58 AM
Pinging is more like a tinny, 'rock in a tin can' type sound is it not?

warwick108
05-02-2008, 12:59 PM
well if its rock in a tin.. and it doesnt happen often.. ive got that problem aswell.. it seems like something in loose right? instead of somethig thats broken..=((.. all the dealer did. was tighten my springs. but i have the same problem still

jckidz
05-02-2008, 04:01 PM
i have the exact same noise (soft knocking from the engine) when I go up a hill in a very low RPM.. If I give more RPM, the knocking's gone.. I think most people have it yeah?

Maybe for FD owners, try to drive up a steep slope from a stand still, with your windows down, I think you can hear the knocking when your RPM is low..

My Question; Is it a serious problem?

NeoNode
05-02-2008, 08:24 PM
The Civic doesn't have a great deal amount of torque (174Nm @ 4200rpm), going up a hill at very low rpms and probably in the wrong gear is a very bad idea.

nuffsaid
06-02-2008, 02:19 PM
i have the exact same noise (soft knocking from the engine) when I go up a hill in a very low RPM.. If I give more RPM, the knocking's gone.. I think most people have it yeah?

Maybe for FD owners, try to drive up a steep slope from a stand still, with your windows down, I think you can hear the knocking when your RPM is low..

My Question; Is it a serious problem?

That's it! pretty sure its not pinging but yeah even a hill at a very slight slope (like just my driveway or a small slop hill on a road)

Its a real soft knock from stand still up to idle speed, it will go away when there are more revs and anything faster that idle speed

Im wondering whether this is a common issue perhaps with the autobox or engine for all FD owners. As above, if anyone else can give it a shot and get back to us that would be terrific.

warwick108
11-02-2008, 04:14 PM
i know what the knocking sound is.. its from the steering mate.. I had mine when I just bought it.. u can just hear the knocking sound when its idling.. bring it back.. and mine was fixed within a day.. =) I have a auto aswell..

warwick108
11-02-2008, 04:15 PM
The dude that fixed is.. said its some steering problem.. its the 2nd one hes seen happen.. mine and someone elses.. I got the late 07 model.. =).. hope this helps.. its nothing major..

FallenAngel
12-02-2008, 07:16 AM
Not sure if this is actually true but it works for me... :)

Mine actually occurs after i drive with a full car/heavy load. When the "knocking" noise occurs more often, on my next refill i use 98RON. Normally i use 91 but it does indeed solve the problem to me. :confused:

nuffsaid
12-02-2008, 07:53 AM
The dude that fixed is.. said its some steering problem.. its the 2nd one hes seen happen.. mine and someone elses.. I got the late 07 model.. =).. hope this helps.. its nothing major..

Will have to get them to check it out, I was informed by Honda at Peter Warren (not where I boguht it) that it is a fan belt tensioner problem.

Need to bring it into a Honda dealer, get them to confirm, and then order parts (3-4 weeks delivery), geez aye

DR HONDA
12-02-2008, 11:13 AM
Take it back to the dealer as there is a service bulletin repair to be carried out. Good luck.

Dr :honda:

nuffsaid
12-02-2008, 12:11 PM
Take it back to the dealer as there is a service bulletin repair to be carried out. Good luck.

Oh so you know of a TSB for this fault Dr Honda? or are you saying it sounds like a possible TSB?

DR HONDA
12-02-2008, 02:23 PM
Oh so you know of a TSB for this fault Dr Honda? or are you saying it sounds like a possible TSB?
Yes there is a tsb. Good luck.

warwick108
12-02-2008, 04:15 PM
thats it.. its a belt.. =).. exactly what happened to mine. =).. fixed within a day.. =)

fab4272
12-02-2008, 09:23 PM
Yes there is a tsb. Good luck.

Hey Dr Honda....

Is there a site that we can access these TSB's? I have tried looking, but only find sites that apply to american cars....

s2o0o
12-02-2008, 09:31 PM
No, you cannot access Honda Dealer Campaigns.

fab4272
12-02-2008, 09:36 PM
No, you cannot access Honda Dealer Campaigns.

Ok. So how do we know if there is a 'potential' problem that our car may have, that could possibly become a problem after the warranty period expires, but 'might' have been rectified with a fix via a TSB?

:o

DR HONDA
13-02-2008, 07:59 AM
Ok. So how do we know if there is a 'potential' problem that our car may have, that could possibly become a problem after the warranty period expires, but 'might' have been rectified with a fix via a TSB?

:o
Your dealer should be educated enough to see what TSB'S are available. Unfortunetely Honda AU will not post TSB'S about there market issues to the public. By the way I discovered the fix for this concern which in turn become a TSB.

warwick108
13-02-2008, 11:36 AM
before their is future problems.. take it back to your dealer and get it fixed.. -_-"..

ms700
13-02-2008, 11:41 AM
Or even just tell your dealer at service time. So if it turns into a major problem down the road, you can say "i reported that problem back at the 80K service" and it should be covered if its found to be the same problem.

if that all makes sense....... lol

nuffsaid
24-02-2008, 09:20 PM
Okay news from dealer, issue with fan belt tensioner , common in alot of civics, parts coming in soon for replacement

jckidz
24-02-2008, 10:11 PM
Okay news from dealer, issue with fan belt tensioner , common in alot of civics, parts coming in soon for replacement

+ rep for pm-ing me so promptly about the issue..

didibabawu
25-02-2008, 12:16 AM

My car has this problem too, thanks god they find a way to fix it.

ahmondjai
25-02-2008, 01:45 AM
Recently, I've heard some ka ka sound somewhere from the car, I've check the tyres, get those rock wedges out, and still, it's there when my speed goes up to 50-55km/h to 75ish, is this the one you guys are talking about??

jckidz
25-02-2008, 04:01 PM
Recently, I've heard some ka ka sound somewhere from the car, I've check the tyres, get those rock wedges out, and still, it's there when my speed goes up to 50-55km/h to 75ish, is this the one you guys are talking about??

no, its not.. the one we're talking about is, when we accelerate after the car is at a stand still or going up a slope..

ahmondjai
26-02-2008, 01:10 AM
what about when standing still or under light throttle from stand start, there is a little vibrating feel and sound? does it sound like what you guys experiencing??

didibabawu
26-02-2008, 10:56 PM

ok, this is what I am talking about.:(

ahmondjai
27-02-2008, 12:03 AM
well, I've got it booked in at the dealer for a check up relating to the above problem, will keep you guys inform~~

ahmondjai
27-02-2008, 12:53 PM
just got back from the dealer, the noise on mine was caused by the little balancing lead which got loose. Fixed~~

jckidz
27-02-2008, 03:59 PM
just got back from dealer.. Dropped my car at 1 PM and went to lunch.. came back at 2 PM to pick my car but it isn't ready. They were still test driving my car and checking where the problem is..

At 3.30, the mechanic came to me and told me that there is nothing wrong with my car.. THe only noise that he can hear during test drive is from my tyres.. I was thinking WTF? Then I told him that I will drive and show him the noise (There was a ramp in the service centre).. When I drove and when the knocking occured, he denied hearing it..

"Nuffsaid", which dealer did you go to? Mine is JBH.. Always load of crap and Crazy price for service.. I just want to make sure that we got the same problem.. Also, do anyone know whether I can get other dealer to check my car for me?

warwick108
27-02-2008, 04:07 PM
jckidz.. when u go over the ramp. is their like a *clonk* sound?.. Ive got that sound.. =S.. I took it to the dealers.. all he did was take the suspension out and put it back in.. but I still got the problem.. =((

jckidz
27-02-2008, 04:23 PM
jckidz.. when u go over the ramp. is their like a *clonk* sound?.. Ive got that sound.. =S.. I took it to the dealers.. all he did was take the suspension out and put it back in.. but I still got the problem.. =((

Its not a clonk sound.. Its like a "rock in a tin can" kinda thing.. Only occurs if I step off the pedal when the car is moving and step on it again immediately (Like if I want to decelerate by releasing the pedal and accelerate soon after).. This happen especially when I'm going up a slope..

When the car was in the dealer, The guy told me that the mechanic make sure that my car isn't pinging.. Also, when I asked about the fan belt tensioner, He told me that there is nothing wrong with my car.. :confused::confused:

ahmondjai
27-02-2008, 05:32 PM
about the fan belt tensioner, I asked my dealer's service department manager also, he told me that the fan belt tensioner is only on older engine, the current civic still has a belt, and there is no need to adjust it, since it will adjust itself, well, I'm not a mech. so, correct this if I'm wrong~

Bob san
27-02-2008, 06:15 PM
very intresting topics guys. i seriously hope its just the belt and not something else... or it could lead to something much much worse.

rk 86 wa
06-03-2008, 02:43 AM
has anyone had any success?

might take it into honda this week :(

mines occuring very often

Bob san
06-03-2008, 11:05 AM
has anyone had any success?

might take it into honda this week :(

mines occuring very often

have u checked the oil? also what kind of fuel are you using?

if it is pinging your talking about there is seriously something wrong with your cars. take it back to the dealer asap and note everything.

also when you start up your car do u notice that it jerks abit before it idles properly?

backdog
06-03-2008, 06:17 PM
First of all stop calling it a fan belt (there is no belt that drives your fan as they are electric). Knocking noise that occurs at engine speed, most noticeable when in drive but vehicle stationary. It is coming from DRIVE belt tensioner, a new tensioner and belt fixes this problem.

ahmondjai
26-03-2008, 11:25 PM
so, has anyone had any success finding out what that is?? it's been a while anyone replied to this~~

nuffsaid
27-03-2008, 07:38 AM
First of all stop calling it a fan belt (there is no belt that drives your fan as they are electric). Knocking noise that occurs at engine speed, most noticeable when in drive but vehicle stationary. It is coming from DRIVE belt tensioner, a new tensioner and belt fixes this problem.

That's it, take it to your dealer to get fixed

rk 86 wa
27-03-2008, 03:36 PM
lol will do,

i was under the impressoin that this was common in mostt mcpherson strut type suspension. a friend has an e46m3 and they claim they get the same types of noise aswell.