PDA

View Full Version : cold air intake information?

NVD52K
04-02-2008, 09:44 AM
hey guys i was wandering if there was a difference to cold air intakes i see a j's racing i think which is carbon fibre with a big balloon like pipe,i have a k&n typhoon air intake system extending all the way down to the front right air hole does any one know which one would work better is there like any differences at all? by sound, quality, performance?

vyets
04-02-2008, 10:20 AM
J's will catch better air, as air is bring forced into the chamber, where as your setup will only try to suck in the air flying past.
J's will also have alot better throttle response, since it's a sri setup,

eriktufa
04-02-2008, 01:40 PM
It all comes down to what you can afford and what do you think is worth the money.

I think all will be fine, I use stock box with drop in filter and probably will get snorkel to guide the air to the stock box.

NVD52K
05-02-2008, 10:59 AM
i duno cause apparently short ram intake on hot days it soaks up alot of hot air from the engine bay is that true? and cold air intake that goes down to the funnel sucks in less air but i reckon the j's racing one looks better thats all lol cause more of a nicer cover on the s2k since the engine bay looks so empty with just a pipe going down

Perry
05-02-2008, 12:44 PM
How much u got to spend????

NVD52K
05-02-2008, 01:59 PM
roughly about 1 gran i think im guna get the j's racing cold air intake with the front cooling panel aswell might sell my k&n typhoon

WhiteAP1
05-02-2008, 02:06 PM
good choice

.::F[L]Y::.
05-02-2008, 02:27 PM
J's FTW. if i had the spare cash id go for J's. not a baller so i got the AEM V2 instead lol

NVD52K
06-02-2008, 07:35 AM
yeah my parts guy said its even loud and more responsive then my k&n Typhoon so i dunno really? only 1 way to find out

Perry
06-02-2008, 12:06 PM
Im 100% sure if the J's intake will clear stock bonnet someone please confirm

fungfungfung
06-02-2008, 12:38 PM
No it wont clear the stock bonnet, have to cutcutcut~

luder
06-02-2008, 12:46 PM
For an OEM bonnet, you will need to cut/modify your bonnet slightly to allow enough room for j's chamber to sit properly. This is to stop the hood from hitting your intake, plenty of write ups on how to do it - s2ki

NVD52K
06-02-2008, 02:42 PM
you reckon you can get me the link for it since im a noob to forums

Perry
06-02-2008, 04:44 PM
you reckon you can get me the link for it since im a noob to forums

www.s2ki.com

WhiteAP1
06-02-2008, 07:13 PM
The cuttings not that hard, you should be able to knock it over in an hour or so.

CRXONE
11-02-2008, 01:59 PM
Does anyone actually want to cut away from the lining of there bonnet for a cold air intake? Why not just take the lid off your air box. lol

WhiteAP1
11-02-2008, 02:11 PM
WTF????????????????

Yeah great idea,so you can retard timming, increase heat soak by %100, and have a car thats as about as responsive as a coma patient???

Intakes like J's and Mugen are not only power getters they're power savers. There is a limit to how high the ECU will let your intake temp get. For every so many degrees over the limit u lose about %3 of power so you dont blow the thing up. Ever wondered why its soooo sluggish on a hot day?? now u know.

Taking you lid off and buying a CAI thats had tons of time, money and research thrown at it are quite different. So spending about 45 mins of your time and cutting a square out of you hood is not that big of a deal. Besides you can pick up second hand OEM parts so cheap now that even if ure dumb enough to get it wrong you can buy another hood.

Lesson is, keep you airbox lid on, dont buy a pod on a stick, fork out the $$$$ and get something worth while. (the latter goes for most aftermarket parts)

11-02-2008, 05:02 PM
anyone here running a mugen replica intake??

vyets
11-02-2008, 07:07 PM
When I was at the drags, my time kept going down down down, i got a 14.1 one run, then i took the airbox off see what would happen went to a 14.4. Both with 2.2 60" time :P Dosen't prove much but just incase you wanted to know. Airbox off = gay. My J's intake should arrive soon and I will write a review on it.

11-02-2008, 07:25 PM
yeh. did back to back dyno with lid on and lid off on a mates car awhile back. lost almost 10kw. good mod for the ricers though hahaha

-parkes-
12-02-2008, 10:42 AM
When I was at the drags, my time kept going down down down, i got a 14.1 one run, then i took the airbox off see what would happen went to a 14.4. Both with 2.2 60" time :P Dosen't prove much but just incase you wanted to know. Airbox off = gay. My J's intake should arrive soon and I will write a review on it.

Won't cutting the structural frame on your bonnet weaken it therefore make it illegal?

vyets
12-02-2008, 12:18 PM
If your modifying your car to be legal, then dont modify. :P

-parkes-
12-02-2008, 12:20 PM
Hahaha... I am :thumbsup:

My last car was too much hassle :zip:

12-02-2008, 08:43 PM
well if anyone is interested im selling my AEM V2 intake. one of the best for this car...

WhiteAP1
13-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Won't cutting the structural frame on your bonnet weaken it therefore make it illegal?

You dont actually cut into any structure whatsoever. U simply take out a bit underneath the bonnet. Its really easy.

http://www.tommychang.net/uploaded_images/DSC02234-783812.JPG

http://www.tommychang.net/uploaded_images/DSC02235-782650.JPG

-parkes-
13-02-2008, 02:57 PM
Looks pretty close to the frame of the bonnet... Your apparently allowed to cut the skin of the bonnet (soft outside) but not the frame or part of as shown in your pic. Was speaking to my body kit guy about ADR approved bonnets a few days back :thumbsup:

WhiteAP1
13-02-2008, 04:37 PM
It really nothing to worry about.

vyets
13-02-2008, 04:40 PM
LOL seriously...

-parkes-
13-02-2008, 04:48 PM
Yup... seriously

Okay if you say so... :zip:

13-02-2008, 05:45 PM
put it this way, if you smash head on into another car or tree i highly doubt the bonnet can save you anyway....

another alternative to run intakes like j's or mugen is to purchase an after market bonnet from either manufacturer.

vyets
13-02-2008, 11:55 PM
But carbon bonnets are illegal too, oh noes!

-parkes-
14-02-2008, 01:38 AM
But carbon bonnets are illegal too, oh noes!

:p LOL beat me to it :unlove:

ludecrs
14-02-2008, 10:53 AM
Technically not....

SO long as they have been ADR approved, they are legal.

However, most aren't ADR approved.

TODA AU
14-02-2008, 12:14 PM

Dyno it back to back against the std box...
You should get +4hp on low cam
& -4hp on high cam

vyets
14-02-2008, 12:16 PM
On the dyno a open airbox should get more power then a closed, thats what happened with my old car, the fan gets to a open airbox easier then being pushed through a ram pressure airbox.

CRXONE
14-02-2008, 12:36 PM
Dyno it back to back against the std box...
You should get +4hp on low cam
& -4hp on high cam

TODA so what you're saying is that with the air box lid off it has more power down low but up top it has less power up top?? ie. Low Cam / High Cam?

I only took it off for the sound. No big deal really. I'm not a ricer and I dont race (well hardly.lol)
But I am after a new CAI though to replace the open airbox lid.lol

PS>
well if anyone is interested im selling my AEM V2 intake. one of the best for this car...
PM SENT

CRXONE
14-02-2008, 12:46 PM
You dont actually cut into any structure whatsoever. U simply take out a bit underneath the bonnet. Its really easy.

Ok so we cut out of our bonnet to fit the J's or Mugen CAI??

Doe's anyone have a pic of either of these??

WhiteAP1
14-02-2008, 05:05 PM
On the dyno a open airbox should get more power then a closed, thats what happened with my old car, the fan gets to a open airbox easier then being pushed through a ram pressure airbox.

Let me guess, your old car wasnt an s2000 was it????????????:( The F20C is a totally different animal.

If you think its an improvment drive around with the lid off.Its your car good luck to you. :wave:

WhiteAP1
14-02-2008, 05:06 PM
Ok so we cut out of our bonnet to fit the J's or Mugen CAI??

Doe's anyone have a pic of either of these??

Google Image search is your friend.

TODA AU
14-02-2008, 09:44 PM
TODA so what you're saying is that with the air box lid off it has more power down low but up top it has less power up top?? ie. Low Cam / High Cam?

No, I'm talking about a std airbox vs J's Racing (GruppeM) intake.;)

vyets
15-02-2008, 12:53 AM
Let me guess, your old car wasnt an s2000 was it????????????:( The F20C is a totally different animal.

If you think its an improvment drive around with the lid off.Its your car good luck to you. :wave:

I know :P thats what i said before. lol

CRXONE
15-02-2008, 09:51 AM
Chaning your intake really does fk all anyway. I mean we're talking about 2-4 kW at best.lol

The Nissan boys would laugh at us arguing over bloody intakes.hahaaha

WhiteAP1
15-02-2008, 01:37 PM
If all u've got is neons and and an intake then yes who gives a fk. But if you've got unshielded headers with larger primaries, ECU,higher comp ratio and a list of other mods, cooling, intake temp and a whole bunch of other things come into play, thats when a decent intake makes a huge difference, perhaps not for outright power but in terms of response, A/F and combating heatsoak it certainly does. Not point having extra ponies if the ecu only lets you run at 3/4 strength. Common sense would dictate you wouldnt want to lose power in any circumstance, im sure we can all agree on that.

ludecrs
15-02-2008, 01:43 PM
hence why I'm in the process of buying an AEM 1052U ECU :D

WhiteAP1
15-02-2008, 01:52 PM
Im reffering to the stock ecu cutting % of power (timing) when the engine is too hot. Killer choice of ECU though :)

ludecrs
16-02-2008, 10:00 AM
I just paid for it then. Time to start counting down the days...

NVD52K
16-02-2008, 10:06 AM
how much did you pay for yours ludecrs?

ludecrs
16-02-2008, 10:25 AM
The 1052U was $1150.

teamkillerpe
10-03-2008, 08:50 PM
Personally, I think cutting the bonnet is no hassle...
I cut the stock bonnet... as well as a carbon fibre bonnet...
I finished both jobs within 1 hour.

As mentioned, U don't cut through any major reinforcement structures, and u can close ur bonnet without any problems...

IMHO, the mugen airbox is great (i got mine second hand), it improved throttle response and 'appears' to have better torque mid range. Best thing is... it sounds wonderful.

lenz
10-03-2008, 09:27 PM
whale penis is pretty good feel alot of grunt in it and louder.. i try all sort of intake from stock pipes wit pod.. top fuel chamber, whale penis, cai etc

CRXONE
18-03-2008, 08:30 AM
WTF is a whale penis? Sorry I think I know what you're talking about but damn it made me laugh out loud when I read it hahahaa

lenz
18-03-2008, 10:15 PM
bahahha i call them whale penis them j racing ones

<4n'D>
19-03-2008, 02:59 AM
that is what they are also called...

btw on the topic of intakes

thinking of getting a j's racing c/f air duct with apexi power intake filter. good choice?

i was gonna go for spoon but then i saw the rectangles being cut out of the front bar...

Benson
19-03-2008, 06:58 AM
Stick with the stock air box... change the filter... you'll make more gains than these so called branded intake system...

Pm aznsiko for more details

NVD52K
19-03-2008, 07:27 AM
really? lol so what your saying paying your money will lose power? or changing from stock will gain more power?

<4n'D>
20-03-2008, 01:42 AM
Stick with the stock air box... change the filter... you'll make more gains than these so called branded intake system...

Pm aznsiko for more details

no offence or anything, but i've had good experiences with apexi filters and they are widely regarded as the best sri filter on the market. and since they cost around 180, i'd rather spend the extra 30 than to get a blox filter which i have no experience with and havent seen any literature on the net about it... regardless of any dyno readings...

on topic..

j's racing snorkel doesnt require a hole to be cut from the bumper like spoon

i think i saw a pic of a member on OH who had a k&n intake system but combined it with the snorkel and cf radiator plate

does anyone know if the radiator plate would contribute to any performance gains when used in conjunction with the snorkel?

ludecrs
20-03-2008, 06:25 PM
That was me. I just did it for the added benefit of cooler air. I've sicne removed the cooling plate and sold it.

I never dynoed it for any difference. Felt the same on the seat *shrugs*

lenz
20-03-2008, 06:37 PM
apexi will be 2nd best for me but try the hks muchroom as have alot of free flow wit low end and top end.. wit the apexi filter feels really restricted.. or try the new aem foam filters i havent try it out yet but i will soon and will give a feedback on them

<4n'D>
21-03-2008, 10:28 AM
That was me. I just did it for the added benefit of cooler air. I've sicne removed the cooling plate and sold it.

I never dynoed it for any difference. Felt the same on the seat *shrugs*

oh... because technically cooler air should translate into more power... but i guess not in this case.

regarding the hks mushroom- yeah i heard its good, but also that it gets dirty really quickly and has pretty crap life.

NVD52K
23-03-2008, 10:07 PM
oh... because technically cooler air should translate into more power... but i guess not in this case.

regarding the hks mushroom- yeah i heard its good, but also that it gets dirty really quickly and has pretty crap life.

yeah i read that on a hot 4's magazine that it had the worst filtering

fatboyz39
24-03-2008, 09:30 PM
no offence or anything, but i've had good experiences with apexi filters and they are widely regarded as the best sri filter on the market. and since they cost around 180, i'd rather spend the extra 30 than to get a blox filter which i have no experience with and havent seen any literature on the net about it... regardless of any dyno readings...

on topic..

j's racing snorkel doesnt require a hole to be cut from the bumper like spoon

i think i saw a pic of a member on OH who had a k&n intake system but combined it with the snorkel and cf radiator plate

does anyone know if the radiator plate would contribute to any performance gains when used in conjunction with the snorkel?

Yeh fair enough.... its a fairly new product so i guess there wouldnt be much review about them until people test them. as i said, it was tested on our cars but another customer car...

Enough said, i cant be bothered helping people anymore....

<4n'D>
25-03-2008, 07:25 PM
Yeh fair enough.... its a fairly new product so i guess there wouldnt be much review about them until people test them. as i said, it was tested on our cars but another customer car...

Enough said, i cant be bothered helping people anymore....

hi

i've since checked the price on the apexi filter and it only costs $90... so i'll prob just be going with that

troys2000
03-04-2008, 03:57 PM
what about short ram like K&N typoon ect, I hate the idea of a filter that gets wet and dirty. Whats the difference in filtering quality? I was told aftermarket ones are crap for filtration and are bad for your engine. is the aftermarket cooling panel any good for more air into your stock filter?