View Full Version : Custom Titanium Mods.

wpn.ls
04-02-2008, 12:52 PM
Ive been thinking about titanium latly. Its light? strong? &.. well expensive :(

Now. for those of us that want to mod our car.. we have a pretty good selection of products. but i was thinking.. why go & pay royalties to HKS to buy "lightweight" cam gears.. when we can take our original cam gears to a engineering company, pay less? & get "custom" titanium cam gears?!

I mean, titanium isn't cheap, but more & more modifications are being made using it!..& in my opinion.. id rather get my parts made exclusively..

im definetly going ahead with the titanium cam gears soon. But what do you guys think about other engine parts? Eg. Camshafts, pistons, main pulley?

SPEEDCORE
04-02-2008, 01:21 PM
Awesome dude!!

When your done, let us know how many sets of "HKS" cam gears you could have bought, and how much weight you saved over one made of say T-6 Al.

teh_mechanic
04-02-2008, 04:58 PM
not an economical option.your not just paying for a lightweight item and royalties to hks,your paying for research,development,very high quality and craftsmanship,warranty, the right fit first time every time.the deeper you look into it the more you will see why custom is the $$$$$$$$ route

Drew
04-02-2008, 05:31 PM
Seriously for what a set of titanium cam gears costs you...
Get a turbo

EKVTIR-T
04-02-2008, 05:33 PM
Already looked into titanium supplier's and cost's.
Not worth it in the end because of the initial raw material outlay.

Mitchman
04-02-2008, 06:11 PM
Lol while your there build up some carbon fibre ones to lol why go to the extremes of Ti if you dont need to anyway? maybe if you get the design right first go in a CNC program you could maybe cut out some cam gears out of aluminium but Ti..... mmm no thanks, and Ti is only light when its made in an alloy, Titanium bikes etc arent pure Ti!

DA9jeff
04-02-2008, 08:45 PM
um quite sure getting an engineering company to duplicate a factory part in Ti is the most expensive way possible of lightening your valvetrain. and if you do a oem part it will still be stock timing unless you do offset woodruff keys. just buy the brand name cause it works! or spend 2 grand on a set of gears to be "different"

mrfsport
04-02-2008, 11:19 PM
Ive been thinking about titanium latly. Its light? strong? &.. well expensive :(

Now. for those of us that want to mod our car.. we have a pretty good selection of products. but i was thinking.. why go & pay royalties to HKS to buy "lightweight" cam gears.. when we can take our original cam gears to a engineering company, pay less? & get "custom" titanium cam gears?!

I mean, titanium isn't cheap, but more & more modifications are being made using it!..& in my opinion.. id rather get my parts made exclusively..

im definetly going ahead with the titanium cam gears soon. But what do you guys think about other engine parts? Eg. Camshafts, pistons, main pulley?

Your a dead set goose, go ahead and do it, pay through the roof and i bet the engeering company get it wrong, also good luck getting the gears cut.

wpn.ls
05-02-2008, 08:06 AM
You know you could have been more polite?

:thumbdwn:

But anyways, it was just a thought..besides the cam gears, they should be done next week :cool:

SPEEDCORE
05-02-2008, 08:47 AM
Well as per my post above, let us know of the outcome both in terms of weight and pricing :)

xqwzit
05-02-2008, 11:15 AM
.. why go & pay royalties to HKS to buy "lightweight" cam gears.. when we can take our original cam gears to a engineering company, pay less? & get "custom" titanium cam gears?! pulley?

:eek::thumbdwn:

z3lda
05-02-2008, 12:29 PM
You know you could have been more polite?

:thumbdwn:

But anyways, it was just a thought..besides the cam gears, they should be done next week :cool:

You do know your wasting your money on non tunable cam gears.

wpn.ls
06-02-2008, 06:42 AM
Obviously i considered that before thinking of alternatives... but yeah. Thanks i guess ? :)

V73C
11-02-2008, 09:50 PM
Im guessing ur a CNC operater ??? but yeah, like everyone said, it takes research in all this, just buy a branded set of cams, it'll set you back so much more

TODA AU
12-02-2008, 09:42 PM
But what do you guys think about other engine parts? Eg. Camshafts, pistons, main pulley?

IMO I think you should avoid using titanium on any parts where metal to metal friction contact is possible...

That is I don't think it's a good idea for pistons.
Why, what bores will be compatible with the skirts?
What rings would you use?
What pin would you use & floating or press?

I also think they would be a poor choice for camshaft material too...
As the whole valve train could potentially eat itself.

As for the main pulley,
This is a torsional damper, machining a pulley out of any metal to simpley replace it is not a great idea.
FWIW, we use either an ATI or Fluiddamper on high output NA or turbo engines.
Though these are heavier than stock, they are use to extend bearing & oil pump life. Not chase the last bit of response at the expense of reliability.

Regarding titanium rods, these are great but damn expensive.
The sides are coated to prevent fretting.
Ti valves can work well but you can have issues with seats.
(Normally use berilyum copper seat)
Ti retainers can flog out quickly if not a tight fit.
If though out well, it can be useful, but damn expensive.

Sorry to come accross as a party pooper...

DA9jeff
13-02-2008, 02:01 PM
seriously there is a reason why good parts cost money - R&D and lots of it, is done on the best parts. This includes metalurgy type analysis to see if the different parts will wear each other out. If you really want to use Ti the use it to replace parts that weigh alot but dont have running surfaces. ie Ti strut brace, tubular cross member, fabricated suspension arms etc.