PDA

View Full Version : Tapping noise from the roof

boleh
04-02-2008, 02:44 PM
I am getting tapping noise from the roof esp when the car is under the sun. It sounds like "tac tac tac" .

It appears that the roof is highly sensitive to being exposed to the sun as the moment the car rolled out from the garage and out to the sun.. the tapping sound comes on immediately!!

I have had the dealer look at it and he said its metal contraction/expansion, which makes sense.. but I havent seen this on any other cars, and I believe Honda isnt that crap.

Btw my car is black and that could be why it absorbs more heat? DOes anyone here experience the same problem?

EuroDude
04-02-2008, 02:48 PM
Mine does the same, and yes, mine is black as well. I thought there was a bird tapping my roof or there was a click-bug stuck in the roof lol

Mine only does it from the passenger side - as far as I can tell.

boleh
04-02-2008, 02:58 PM
Mine does the same, and yes, mine is black as well. I thought there was a bird tapping my roof or there was a click-bug stuck in the roof lol

Mine only does it from the passenger side - as far as I can tell.

I am feeling a bit relieved knowing I am not alone having this prob. So, did you just learn to live with it?

EuroDude
04-02-2008, 03:22 PM
Yeah; its not loud or anything and it only happens on very hot days so its not a problem really.

aaronng
04-02-2008, 03:47 PM
Have someone sit in the backseat to listen. Sounds from the parcel shelf can sound like it was coming from the roof. I had this problem back in early 2005.

EuroDude
04-02-2008, 04:57 PM
Its not the parcel tray creak because it happens when the car is stationary and the engine is off.

This is more of a tapping noise, for example; the noise when you tap your fingernail on the roof or hard plastic.

Riviera
04-02-2008, 05:14 PM
i know that sound lol, i dont have the problem with my car but i do know that sound...

and it is true expansion and contraction especially with it being black

but i dont know why it isnt designed not to do it...

power_of_dreams
04-02-2008, 05:36 PM
Yes, I've definately had it.

It sounds like a huge single rain drop and comes from my rear passenger roof only.

tony1234
04-02-2008, 05:44 PM
I've got a black Euro and mine doesn't make that tapping noise.Try greasing the rubber part of the sunroof that makes contact with the metal part of the roof with silicone grease.

tron07
04-02-2008, 06:06 PM
Once I didnt clip the sun visor back properly, and it was acctually vibrating over bumps causing some wierd sound tapping sound.... took me almost 2 days driving slow looking for the source of the sound before finding it.

EuroDude
04-02-2008, 06:13 PM
Its not the sunroof since it happens on the base/sports models as well.

Its not the sun visor or anything in a compartment since the noise is audible when the car is off/parked.

It sounds like the noise comes from above the passenger window, I think I recall the sound going away when the window is lowered.

Spraying silicon grease somewhere into the passenger roof cavity should fix it.

r-r-redEuro
04-02-2008, 08:53 PM
i get that noise as well, but coming from where the passenger side belt is.

hooyn
04-02-2008, 10:15 PM
yeh i think its just the metal contracting/expanding, my shed makes a really loud tac tac tac sound aswell when its really hot....

LXRY
05-02-2008, 05:37 AM
I am getting tapping noise from the roof esp when the car is under the sun. It sounds like "tac tac tac" .

It appears that the roof is highly sensitive to being exposed to the sun as the moment the car rolled out from the garage and out to the sun.. the tapping sound comes on immediately!!

I have had the dealer look at it and he said its metal contraction/expansion, which makes sense.. but I havent seen this on any other cars, and I believe Honda isnt that crap.

Btw my car is black and that could be why it absorbs more heat? DOes anyone here experience the same problem?

Do you have a sunroof ?

Does it happen when parked only or while driving ?

EuroDude
05-02-2008, 08:56 AM

You could be right, its coming from somewhere in that area.

Next time it happens, jump in the passenger seat and open all the windows so the sound doesnt ricochet and fool ur ears, and try to determine where its actually coming from.

boleh
05-02-2008, 03:44 PM
Its not the sunroof since it happens on the base/sports models as well.

Its not the sun visor or anything in a compartment since the noise is audible when the car is off/parked.

It sounds like the noise comes from above the passenger window, I think I recall the sound going away when the window is lowered.

Spraying silicon grease somewhere into the passenger roof cavity should fix it.

Exactly that!! 100% as described.

Silicon grease on roof cavity? Did it solve your problem now?

EuroDude
05-02-2008, 03:53 PM
I haven't tried greasing anything. I need to find out exactly where the noise is coming from first, the problem is that it rarely happens.

tony1234
05-02-2008, 04:10 PM
It could be the clips that hold the headlining in place,maybe one or more of them is not as tight as it could be.

power_of_dreams
05-02-2008, 09:37 PM

You just need to make sure the belt is in it's normal position and not on an angle or trapped between the seat and pillar. This has happened to me before.

LXRY
05-02-2008, 10:36 PM
Mine does the same irritating passenger side belt....and noticed my head rest passenger side aswell........not too mention sunglasses sunglass holder....aswell glove compartment dampener loose aswell...oh sunroof rattle too....power window switches, drivers seat, right face air vent the list goes on hehe......parcel shelf at the back.......left pillar aswell, just to give you an idea of where to start looking lmao.

Do we have a thread of all creaks, rattles and squeeks in the euro ? Maybe a good idea to start one if we don't have one already.

EuroDude
05-02-2008, 10:46 PM
Yeah there is one.

Ive fixed my door rattle by applying some tape to the sides of the Drivers Window Up/Down switch assembly. remove the whole button panel from the door, undo a few screws to remove the switch assembly, then apply tape around it so it fits snug when in the panel.

As for the rear parcel tray creak, you simply jam a screw into the frame lol

Now my car is totally quiet, except for an intermiitent rattle from the drivers vent somewhere, but it rarely happens.

LXRY
05-02-2008, 10:53 PM
Yeah there is one.

Ive fixed my door rattle by applying some tape to the sides of the Drivers Window Up/Down switch assembly. remove the whole button panel from the door, undo a few screws to remove the switch assembly, then apply tape around it so it fits snug when in the panel.

As for the rear parcel tray creak, you simply jam a screw into the frame lol

Now my car is totally quiet, except for an intermiitent rattle from the drivers vent somewhere, but it rarely happens.

Aaronng done this to my power window switch at one of the meets, fixed that one hehe....Thanks again Aaronng

Pumped
11-03-2008, 12:27 PM
Any fix for this roof tapping noise?

My car does it stationary and even worse when driving, its driving me crazy! its almost constant! AHHH

power_of_dreams
23-03-2008, 09:01 PM
Just as a follow up, I don't think there's alot you can do apart from parking under shade and/or using a car cover. Hopefully as it gets colder we won't experience it as much.