PDA

View Full Version : Opinion Poll for eg options

nick_sixx
04-02-2008, 08:04 PM
Ok im giving myself a budget of $4000-$4500, but im torn between turbocharging my d16y or a B or H series swap. I like the idea of having an N/A motor, as it is in true honda fashion. just wondering if i could get any opinions? i know it all comes down to personal preference/taste blah blah blah, but yeah any advice would be good. i'd like to do a b18c but yeah i think it will be too expensive, H22a would be next on the list, as the front cut is dirt cheap, but i would need somebody to install it, as mechanic prices for an engine swap are ridiculous. so im stuck between b16a (no engine mounts, harnesses, wiring looms etc needed) and a turbo kit (my car belonged to a 70-something year old woman before me, so i know the engine is decent, apart from having 148xxx k's on it :( ) please help me out!

Benson
04-02-2008, 08:18 PM
I would go for any B-series engines. For a H, not good ground clearance, bad positoning of axle and etc. More wrok to get a H series working.

Either B16a for b18c. Give barefootbonzai a PM, he deals with engine conversion.

dAzLr
04-02-2008, 08:21 PM
man go for a b18c its not a bad to convert as u think its a great little engine too :p

teh_mechanic
04-02-2008, 08:25 PM
b or h series is always going to be more reliable,theres no getting away from the fact that even though the d goes hard turboed we need to face it that its a naturally aspirated motor and boosting it is going to raise the risk factor.

for the kind of cash you have i would go b16 or h22.both engines will give you a respectably quick car.h22 is torquey and pulls hard.b16 is revvy and hauls ass above 7000rpm.try and get a drive or ride in a car with both before you buy if possible,im sure some1 on here would help you out with that.b18c2 is in your budget but not really worth it in my opinion,and b18c7 is out of your price range

im a mechanic,i could help you out with cheap install of the engine at my workshop after hours,gotta help the honda brothers out.let me know what you think when you have made your mind up

good luck

nick_sixx
04-02-2008, 08:59 PM
ok im definately thikning of going b16 just because of the hassle-free-ness (killer wording) of the swap, and its a decent engine, although i would love a b18c, how much out of my price range would it be? for just a vti-r one, not the c7? teh_mechanic, i will definately be in touch. ps red lug nuts are on ebay for $60, i bought blue ones a while back

NightKids
05-02-2008, 07:54 PM
B18C or stock D16 with greddy turbo kit
Which is faster?

fatboyz39
05-02-2008, 09:02 PM
B18c....

Nepolian
05-02-2008, 09:10 PM
B would be lighter and more suited to the EG. H has abit more power but extra weight would negate that and there are plenty of aftermarket bits for the B.

nick_sixx
05-02-2008, 10:35 PM
yeah see while you can get an h22a for less than $2300, the engine mounts+necessary work needed would probably end up osting more than a b18c. how much would a b18c with around 100 000 - 120 000k's on it go for? just a vtir one? anyone got any hook ups (ps i know this question has been posted like a million times but yeah any current, straight answers?)

steve88
06-02-2008, 12:17 AM
do something different, go for boosted D

teh_mechanic
06-02-2008, 05:01 PM
do something different, go for boosted D

its not different,been done heaps of times.its not reliable with stock internals if you want to make decent power or even power that matches the b series.

your on the right track with the b series mate,wont dissapoint,just get word out that your looking for a b18/b16 and eventually you will find a good deal.if you find one selling generally you can get it cheaper than asking people for one,if they know your wanting it then they know they can name their price

nick_sixx
06-02-2008, 06:17 PM
ok cheers buddy. plus ive got a whole bunch of parts that are interchangeable from my current setup ie exhaust, intake, ignition etc. so if i give myself a $4000 budget, should i stick with a b16? or is a b18c possible?