PDA

View Full Version : sharing gauge wires?

MikeLary
04-02-2008, 10:46 PM
hey fellas i was wondering if its okay for me to connect my boost gauge to my a/f gauge wires (which are sourcing power of the ecu power)? the other ecu power is used for my emanage....

would it be safe to do this? has anyone done this or does anyone see any negatives

aaronng
04-02-2008, 10:53 PM
Why not just tap the power from the accessory wire?

MikeLary
04-02-2008, 10:54 PM
is that the one on top of the fuse box?

aaronng
05-02-2008, 12:17 AM
No, it's the one powering your cigarette lighter.

Limbo
05-02-2008, 08:39 AM
i know why cos its easier to find than the other wires.

Its shouldbe fine my gauges are like that also, all power tapped from one point

aaronng
05-02-2008, 08:47 AM
As long as the total power draw doesn't exceed the fuse rating, it's fine. Of course, make sure you are using the correctly rated fuse. :)

MikeLary
05-02-2008, 09:04 AM
sweet, well then ill give it a go tonight as long as it doesnt risk frying my car apart, the worst that can i happen i guess is that wire will blow the fuse or melt if it cant handle it but i doubt thatd happen for l.e.d powered gauges.

Centurius
05-02-2008, 12:30 PM
my wideband, boost and oil temp guage are all connected to what used to be the clock... haven't had a problem thus far!

let us know how you go :)

Weq
05-02-2008, 02:18 PM
my wideband, boost and oil temp guage are all connected to what used to be the clock... haven't had a problem thus far!

let us know how you go :)

Everyone is correct, u can daisy chain power wires without a worry for most gauges. Except wideband. This should use the same power/ground as your ECU.

MikeLary
05-02-2008, 03:55 PM
olkay cool thanx fellas

Centurius
06-02-2008, 12:24 PM
Everyone is correct, u can daisy chain power wires without a worry for most gauges. Except wideband. This should use the same power/ground as your ECU.

worth re-wiring this in my car? i'm sure i don't need to tell you how much fun it is getting in behind the dash and re-routing wires down to the ecu...

Weq
06-02-2008, 01:06 PM
worth re-wiring this in my car? i'm sure i don't need to tell you how much fun it is getting in behind the dash and re-routing wires down to the ecu...

Most wideband instructions tell u to do this for a clean signal in feeding your ECU. If you car is running well, i wouldnt bother. Its just one of those 'proper ways' to do things.

Centurius
07-02-2008, 09:11 AM
the guage isn't actually hooked up to the ECU at the moment as i've just hooked it up, will see what the tuners think when it goes back up after i've fixed the other bits and pieces.
thanks for the advice
+1