PDA

View Full Version : electrical system - NEED HELP!

nick_sixx
06-02-2008, 07:36 PM
ok so a couple of you may have read previous posts by me, and pretty much my car's electricals are ****ed. first up, my constant power which should be going to my clock and headunit doesnt have any power at all, and today i was cutting wires and i accidently cut two at a time (the light and power to the cigarette lighter) and completed the circuit, so now half my shit doesnt work (ie volt meter, stereo, clock (until i turn headlights on), aftermarket tacho, cigarette lighter, ash tray light) all my fuses are fine (yes im sure) so can anyone help with my problem?

teh_mechanic
06-02-2008, 08:02 PM
ouch.sounds messy.its a matter of finding what you accidently cut and joining it back up.follow wires to where they are going,work out what they should do (ie.power,ground,signal) and work out how to get them to do that if they arnt.

cant really help on a forum with this one.its a tedious job for you or an auto electrician to do

nick_sixx
06-02-2008, 08:33 PM
yeah no its not a wire thats the problem (well it is, but not because its cut), its like a shorted fuse somewhere i dont know about, or where the wire harness is in the engine bay i think. it happened when my pliers completed the circuit when i was stripping wires

teh_mechanic
06-02-2008, 08:53 PM
ok.well in know you said all your fuses are good,but if you shorted the circuit a fuse would of blew.theres a fuse box near the steering column in the interior and also a fuse box near the battery in the engine bay.if you have a test light use it to make sure power is at both ends of the fuse,therefore flowing through it,proving its not blown.or if you dont have a light take ever1 out and see if you can see a split in the metal in the middle of it,showing that it is blown...sometimes they can look ok but be blown,hence why its best to use a test light.

other than that than the short circuit has blown something else in the system,but this is what fuses are there to prevent.you have aftermarket thing s like tacho,might of been installed a lil dodgy.....arghhhhh i hate electrics

nick_sixx
06-02-2008, 09:23 PM
haha well yeah i did it all myself cause im a poor....guy....? well yeah i checked all the fuses related to the interior (i didnt check things such as 'rear left brake light' etc) but i dont know how to fix it at all. ill go through and check all the fuses tomorrow, but yeah i cant find anything related to cd player/cigarette lighter etc in the engine bay fuse box

nick_sixx
07-02-2008, 10:41 AM
bump because i want to fix this today cause i have the day off. so nobody can tell me how to fix constant battery power?

teh_mechanic
07-02-2008, 04:52 PM
all the things for the interior will be in the interior fuse box.you need to find yourself some sort of interior wiring diagram and start following wires to see where they are going,if its not working and the fuses are ok then something must be wrong between the fuse box and the items,and thats all just wiring basically,no fancy regulators or mini fuses

destrukshn
07-02-2008, 04:55 PM
could of ****ed a wire.
can happen if you short it out, then it won't carry any current.

Boban
07-02-2008, 08:27 PM
^^^^ tru, happened to me. If you need a constant source, why not just run a wire from the battery directly???? I ran a new wire for my headunit and clock from the wires at the steering column.

If you can't get around it i can have a look at it sometime mate, i'm in brisbane too, let me know when we can meet up and i'll try and help you out
This is how i wired up my headunit (JVC)

Aftermarket colour-what it does-Honda colour

Black-Ground-Black
Red-Accessory-Orange with Red stripe
Yellow-Constant pwr-White with Blue stripe
Orange-Illumination/dimmer-Red with Black Stripe
Blue-Antenna-Don’t have pwr ant in eg
Blue with stripe-Amplifier-Don’t have amp as standard but obviously if you install one.........
Right Front Speaker
Grey -Blue w/ silver patches on it
Grey w/black stripe -Grey w/ black stripe
Left Front Speaker
White -Red w/ green stripe
White w/black stripe -Brown w/ black stripe
Right Rear Speaker
Purple -Red w/ yellow stripe
Purple w/black stripe -Brown w/ white stripe
Left Rear Speaker
Green -Blue w/ yellow stripe
Green w/black stripe -Grey w/ white stripe

nick_sixx
07-02-2008, 08:31 PM
yeah i'm 99.9% sure its just the wire. ill have a go at wiring it to another constant source somewhere. any reccommendations? do any of the wires that plug into the back of the cluster carry constant power?

nick_sixx
18-02-2008, 08:00 PM
hey bumping this thread because i thought id fixed the problem, but i just went out to find my battery was drained. so yeah, at the moment my head unit works, but still having problems getting constant power. cheers

R8DXXX
19-02-2008, 08:50 PM
just get someone who knows how their things around electronics for example my cousin is electrical engineer he did alot of the electronic work in my car such as connecting thigns etc. all it needs it some1 to weld the wires back together. if u cant find ne1 just take it 2 a electrician (car one) and they shood do the trick. good luck