PDA

View Full Version : wanting to lower eg

bebeq008
07-02-2008, 02:31 AM
hi,

like the title says wanna lower my eg for rice factor yeah! so...i can just get some springs and itll all be good? ive looked around and it seems koni/king/whiteline are the ones to go? id rather new so where can i search for some nice ones? is it a nono to just goto a suspension workshop anywhere? i mean the price is only around $2-300 right?

thanks for help, im a tech newbie, when i mean newb i mean i really dont know whats what. :p

i live in w.a btw so if anyone knows any good workshop that i can just dump my car at to get it done that would be great!

Research
07-02-2008, 06:08 AM
hey man..
i drive an eg sedan.. how low u wanna get?? coz if u dun need tat low, eibach pro kit springs r quite good actually.. coz im usin tat, but mayb not tat low tho.. if u want even lower, u can also combine the eiback pro kit springs with koni adjustable suspension OR so called koni yellow.. bit pricey on those tho.. or the easier 1, go for coilovers =P

bennjamin
07-02-2008, 07:29 PM
First , go buy springs to suit your application.
I suggest KING SPRINGS from any repco/super cheap auto etc.

Next what is your location ? so we can suggest places to go.
There are alot of DIY guys in OZHONDA , located around OZ that can help you out for a good price

simonnowis
07-02-2008, 07:31 PM
what is ur budget?
it depends on ur budget, how much $$$ you want to put into suspension.
cheapest would be just lowered springs using ur stock shocks.

bebeq008
07-02-2008, 08:27 PM
nonono, no lowering stocks lol, ive had experience with my old integra, they were horrible.

im in w.a and im not planning to spend much lol. i heard springs were about $200-300? nothing crazy like shock and spring for 1k...thats outta the question. if i do that my holiday in midyear wont be happening :/

and research i think i like the sound of your height, whats yours? i dont wanna go super low, too much scratching, i want just enough to get over highish bumps.

SiReal
07-02-2008, 09:34 PM
lowering springs + stock shocks.

usually u'd get sports shocks which are valved for lowered heights, but seeing ur on a budget, just reuse ur stock shocks which will wear out quicker.

bebeq008
07-02-2008, 09:42 PM
so its just a straight switch over? springs from repco or something and into a suspension place to swapping? easiest way?

like i would really like to get the whole lot but yeah really on a budget...

Research
08-02-2008, 02:53 PM
and research i think i like the sound of your height, whats yours? i dont wanna go super low, too much scratching, i want just enough to get over highish bumps.

hey man.. sry i juz reply to tis thread now lol..
btw.. i still use my stock shock..
here's the difference..

Stock springs + stock shock
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh297/bagi2poto/OH-23.jpg

Eibach springs + stock shock
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh297/bagi2poto/OH-22.jpg

hope it helps.. or like the others said, king springs r quite good too n cheap :thumbsup:

bebeq008
08-02-2008, 06:25 PM
ah looks good. just got a quote from repco, a lot more than i thought, around 350 for kings, and at pedders it was just crazy, 650 all up. so i was thinking of going the repco option since i want new springs anyways and hopefully find a cheap mech place to install.

just one thing im not sure how low i wanna go, the guy told me the kings low were 300mm but i didnt ask for superlows cause i thought they were too low. now im not sure if the lows will be sufficient. i want to be able to just squeeze a finger in, that would look good but will i hit most highish speed bumps?

EDIT:

shit now i've read everywhere kings are shit, especially with stock shocks and will sag over time >.> man where can i find some good ones? like tein or something?

Research
08-02-2008, 10:35 PM
ah looks good. just got a quote from repco, a lot more than i thought, around 350 for kings, and at pedders it was just crazy, 650 all up. so i was thinking of going the repco option since i want new springs anyways and hopefully find a cheap mech place to install.

just one thing im not sure how low i wanna go, the guy told me the kings low were 300mm but i didnt ask for superlows cause i thought they were too low. now im not sure if the lows will be sufficient. i want to be able to just squeeze a finger in, that would look good but will i hit most highish speed bumps?

EDIT:

shit now i've read everywhere kings are shit, especially with stock shocks and will sag over time >.> man where can i find some good ones? like tein or something?

well frm wat i know, kings' price r arnd tat range.. dun know bout kings + stock shock tho hehe..
well.. i bought my eibach 2nd hand frm some1 in tis forum.. try look arnd in the PARTS FOR SALE forum.. prob some1 is sellin it ;)
n with my height, i can juz nicely put 2 fingers in.. n i hav no problm with bumps..

n for ur additional info.. there's nuthn good tat doesnt require more money ;)
if u want cheap ones, it'll not b TAT good.. if u want GOOD ones, it won't b TAT cheap.. tats all :D
g'luck with the search, man..

bebeq008
08-02-2008, 11:15 PM
thanks for reply.

i think ill go with tein s.tech, got someone on ebay selling about 280USD shipped.

but im still worried about the height, it says front 1.8" which seems like quite a bit and from my reading in this forum it seems like the stock shocks stress too much. can anyone please assure me my stocks will last for a while with these, i know its not good with stock but $$$.

thank you!

rayb3na_
09-02-2008, 01:25 AM
i ran lovelles extra low on my old sedan for ages didnt have a problem.. extra lows were a like a 3 inch drop lmao.. ran 17 inch rims.. my suspension was fine? wells at least i didnt notice anything different.. was stiff as though so yeah just a heads up did u look at the postage price as well? sometimes tis different to australia.. was gonna pick up an exhaust system from usa not long ago cos tme 90 bux usa.. psotage to australia 280 LMAO

bebeq008
09-02-2008, 02:18 AM
lol, yeah the springs themselves are 150usd and shipping is 130usd :)
it says this [1992-1995 Honda Civic EH2/3 2Dr Coupe/3Dr/4Dr Sedan] so im assuming it fits any civic 92-95? my ones gli 94(man i sound so noob).

dsp26
09-02-2008, 09:22 AM
If your budget is around $300 then look around the FS section for ITR Shocks+Springs selling from $250-$350.

Depending on the price you got em for you can also get the (mandatory) ITR rear lca to fit the rear shocks from $100-$150...

Easily a better combo than any lowering springs over stock shocks.. plus ITRs are like 1in lower or more over eg/dc

***EDIT***
plus labour would cost piss all since your swapping the whole assembly and is a matter of removing and replacing a few nuts and bolts.. heck you could do all 4 corners on your own in like an hour or two..

where-as just installing springs will cost you a fortune at a shop coz of the labour involved in having to compress the springs before removal...

Research
09-02-2008, 10:58 AM
thanks for reply.

i think ill go with tein s.tech, got someone on ebay selling about 280USD shipped.

but im still worried about the height, it says front 1.8" which seems like quite a bit and from my reading in this forum it seems like the stock shocks stress too much. can anyone please assure me my stocks will last for a while with these, i know its not good with stock but $$$.

thank you!

well.. 1.8" is pretty good, mine's 2" lowered, eventho i thought it would be more, but my mechanic said, coz its different compression on the springs, so it'll be different lol.. btw, i fit my springs for $30 if im not mistaken.. :p
frm wat i learnt in tis forum, stock shock + aftrmarket springs is not a very good combo.. but i sppose it'll still last long enuff, as long as the new springs r not so much lower than the stock..
btw, civic 92-95 hatch is called EG.. the sedan we usually called EH, so i sppose ur one is EH 94 GLi sedan?? anyway, the springs would be the same for hatch n sedan, as well as integras.. coz my springs was frm integra :D

bebeq008
09-02-2008, 12:29 PM
ah lol thanks for clearing that up.

as for the itr, is that the brand? i cant seem to do a search since its the 3 are common letters.

so all up it would be 350+150=500 + labour you reckon?

Research
09-02-2008, 01:54 PM
wat dsp26 meant by itr is Integra Type R <ITR>.. so u can search n buy the stock ITR's springs n shocks, n the $150 is the lower control arm <LCA>, tat connects the shocks with the body i sppose lol.. im noob with tat 1 as well hahaha.. :D
i sppose tat package will give u a good quality suspension, since they are all original honda equipment, but im not too sure bout the height..
so yea.. the choice is urs :thumbsup:

bebeq008
12-02-2008, 01:59 AM
thanks for all your help. got a set of konis with rs*r from an ek. now final thing, i guess with these i still have to do the LCA? can you buy that or can the mechanics fix it up for the price?

akusuma
12-02-2008, 10:09 AM
i got pre-modified D2 LCA for EG to fit EK shocks. pm sent

Samm928
12-02-2008, 01:16 PM
personal advice. and awollan will agree too. go BALLER or Low baller... go coilovers or just compress your stock springs..

compressing stock sprigns labour and all = $200
springs $300 + compressing to fit into your shocks $130-150 = $400-$450

adjustable coils you can possibly find 2nd hand for $850-1000

=)

gl mate. just my personal opinoun... go hard or go home !!!

hondajazz2005
12-02-2008, 02:34 PM
ah lol thanks for clearing that up.

as for the itr, is that the brand? i cant seem to do a search since its the 3 are common letters.

so all up it would be 350+150=500 + labour you reckon?

wow... 150 for labour, i get quoted 350-375 ... that is why im still holding on lowering my car... the labour is killing me...
anyone here that can help me with installation??? :p

Samm928
12-02-2008, 02:39 PM
rofl, quotes in sydney are cheap man =)
lowering = compressing machine..

i dunno.. heard its expensive to buy. need the right tools.. if not the spring busts open and there is gg.. no more shocks or springs.. or fingers or face.

bebeq008
12-02-2008, 07:09 PM
personal advice. and awollan will agree too. go BALLER or Low baller... go coilovers or just compress your stock springs..

compressing stock sprigns labour and all = $200
springs $300 + compressing to fit into your shocks $130-150 = $400-$450

adjustable coils you can possibly find 2nd hand for $850-1000

=)

gl mate. just my personal opinoun... go hard or go home !!!

isnt compressing stock springs a "go home"? since itll strain my stock shocks? and yeah the labour here is pretty much what hondajazz says. around 350-400 mark for just spring mod :P

Research
12-02-2008, 10:42 PM
thanks for all your help. got a set of konis with rs*r from an ek. now final thing, i guess with these i still have to do the LCA? can you buy that or can the mechanics fix it up for the price?

wow.. good thing tat u got a set of koni's n rs*r.. but they're on ek setup yea?? not sure if it'll suit eg or not.. coz frm wat i know, ek n eg setup r different, while integra's setup can still fit eg.. n im not too sure which LCA u have to get.. :( but i sppose, good mechanic should be able to get 1 for u.. n u can definitely buy tat hehehe..

anyway.. g'luck with the search man.. post some pics up once ur done with the whole thing hehehe.. :thumbsup:

Samm928
12-02-2008, 10:59 PM
even if you get lowered springs it will still drain your shocks. so why not just compress your springs, cheap as chips =P

rofl..

bebeq008
12-02-2008, 11:00 PM
ah now they are different? i thought the ek/eg/eh have similar builds, from people ive heard it fits but needs LCA? oh well ill see how i go...man i hope it works...and def post a few pics when done (if that ever happens). :)

even if you get lowered springs it will still drain your shocks. so why not just compress your springs, cheap as chips =P

rofl..

really? even if shocks are made for lowered springs?

Research
13-02-2008, 06:05 AM
ah now they are different? i thought the ek/eg/eh have similar builds, from people ive heard it fits but needs LCA? oh well ill see how i go...man i hope it works...and def post a few pics when done (if that ever happens). :)

really? even if shocks are made for lowered springs?

i believe samm928 meant, if u use lowered springs on stock shock, it'll drain ur shocks.. but i think if u use shocks for lowered springs, it'll be ok.. :thumbsup:

im not sure abt the setup for ek n eg.. im juz sayin tat, frm wat i know, its different hehehe.. tats y i didn buy konis with ek setup hehehe.. anyway, hope it works.. :D

Sydsyd
13-02-2008, 08:44 AM
EG and DC share the same chassis...EKs on the other hand are different...

if we're talking about shocks, EG=DC=EK at the fronts, but only EG=DC at the rear...even if u use DC2R rear shocks, u'll need to get a pair of DC2R rear LCA...

u have to have a modified EG LCA (i think the bushings) to fit in EK rear shocks, as akusuma said...pm him about how much to do that...

i'll show 2 examples using my car:

using stock EG shocks and springs
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m64/SydEG5/IMG_3392.jpg

using DC2R stock shocks and springs (mind the ugly photo, using camera phone):
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m64/SydEG5/Civic11.jpg

using DC2R stock shocks and Tanabe DF210 lowering springs:
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m64/SydEG5/newlook.jpg

bebeq008
13-02-2008, 09:22 AM
ah thanks syd for confirming that, that was what i was thinking but research put a little doubt in me that ek koni wont fit eh at all :P and i wasnt too sure about the lca in the first place. but i know research trying to help and you did help a lot :)

thanks again.

iced
13-02-2008, 10:43 AM
First , go buy springs to suit your application.
I suggest KING SPRINGS from any repco/super cheap auto etc.

Next what is your location ? so we can suggest places to go.
There are alot of DIY guys in OZHONDA , located around OZ that can help you out for a good price

im with kings lows.
they have slightly stiffer spring rates than stock but not so much that good condition OEM shocks will fail to dampen bumps.
they will be fine with stock shocks.
but if you car is aging and has alot of kms then you might as well get new shocks. uprated KYB Excel-G will be fine.

superlow springs will reduce the shock absorbers effectiveness.
aging or worn OEM shocks wont like them at all.

compressing or restting springs is for looks only.
it does nothing for handling.
waste of money.

Research
13-02-2008, 04:17 PM
ah thanks syd for confirming that, that was what i was thinking but research put a little doubt in me that ek koni wont fit eh at all :P and i wasnt too sure about the lca in the first place. but i know research trying to help and you did help a lot :)

thanks again.

hahahaaha.. sry dude.. i guess my library of tis mechanical stuffs r still limited hahahahaha.. :D
hope u get the info u need n get on with the project hahaha..
i really wanna see the pics when its done huehehehe :thumbsup:

n, syd.. how hard is the tanabe springs compared to eibach?? it sits nice n low on ur car hahaha.. :thumbsup: does the dc2r's shock play any role in lowerin the car as well??

Sydsyd
13-02-2008, 05:17 PM
i never tried the eibach springs...Tanabe springs are about 10-15&#37; stiffer than stock DC2R springs...

when i put on the DC2R stock sussy, car didn't look lower, but i can feel it lower by about 1/2 inches cos i scraped the parking bay concrete stopper when i usually cleared when using stock EG sussy...

Research
13-02-2008, 10:45 PM
oo icic..
so i sppose the tanabe springs really bring the car down, yea?? :thumbsup:
does ur tyres scrap the fender when u do a full turn??

Sydsyd
14-02-2008, 09:12 AM
no it doesn't scrape the fender at all...i still have about 1-1.5 finger gap to the inner guard...tyre only scrubs against the inner part when i do a full lock turn, even that's only on one small section, which i cut afterwards...

the springs lowered the car by about 2" front and 1.8" rear...for me it looks low enough and for some reason i still can clear a lot of speed bumps without having to swerve around, even with a front lower arm bar installed...

bebeq008
14-02-2008, 03:28 PM
wow good to here, thats what im hoping when its done. i had a 91 integra before and that had cut springs and i think the shocks were dead and i was scraping everything. i really hated that.

oh btw bought that bomb cause it was cheap and made money out of it. the back axle was screwed and i didnt get a mech to check when buying. sorry to the poor guy that bought off me. but after so long (must have been 4 years now) i still see it around uni lol and my god it looks like total trash now.

Research
15-02-2008, 01:09 PM
lol.. good thing tat u sold it.. hahaha.. i sppose the guy who bought it off of u, dun really care bout his ride lol.. hopefully he "njoys" the ride :D

no it doesn't scrape the fender at all...i still have about 1-1.5 finger gap to the inner guard...tyre only scrubs against the inner part when i do a full lock turn, even that's only on one small section, which i cut afterwards...

the springs lowered the car by about 2" front and 1.8" rear...for me it looks low enough and for some reason i still can clear a lot of speed bumps without having to swerve around, even with a front lower arm bar installed...

lol.. tats great.. mine's not either hahaha.. but sometimes when i wanna park my car @ my space, mayb coz the road is a bit slopy.. when i do full lock turn, i can hear scrappin sound.. not all the time tho lol.. dunno y :D

bebeq008
05-03-2008, 07:37 PM
as requested here is what is looks like after installation(camera quality sucks, n95's got everything but good at nothing >.>). might lower the rear a little bit more. rims needs to be painted bronze and need lip and sideskirts. are sideskirts easy to come by? because i dont want to have just the front lip, then the car just looks front heavy. i want a nice even height all around apart from the rear. another thing, if a respray the rims can i buy the gramlight stickers again from rays?

thanks again to those that i got the items off :)

before
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y103/raikukei/my002.jpg

after: front is a nice and tight 1 finger gap, rear is about 2 fingers *update with lip
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y103/raikukei/my003.jpg

dahon
19-03-2008, 10:38 AM
so what springs and shocks did u end up running in the end bebeq?
and how much did it cost all up?
from the pics it looks nice, no scrubbing at all at full lock?

bebeq008
19-03-2008, 11:58 AM
so what springs and shocks did u end up running in the end bebeq?
and how much did it cost all up?
from the pics it looks nice, no scrubbing at all at full lock?

got koni yellow with rs*r springs, $650 all up + cheap cheap install = win for me.

no scurbbing at all, loving it atm. havent scraped the ground either but with the lip i cant go on highish ledges, you know those ones that looks like half a curb rather then smoothed out to the road like most carport entrances. i also think the springs arent hard at all, very comfy. but i really need to lower the rear a bit more.