PDA

View Full Version : Finally my shocks have arrived...!

Civic Si
23-10-2003, 09:40 PM
After 3 mths, I finally recieved my 4 Bilstein shocks today! :D

My rear shocks have been blown 4 ages now.. :(

I took in da car into da workshop today so that da mechanic at work could c how difficult it would b to fit these another day after work. It seemed ok, but da front would b da longest to get out and remove.

The rear tyres were really worn on da inner side, not just because of the rear shocks but too much Negative camber! :shock: No wonder da tyres were scrubin so much!

So a camber kit was suggested aswell to fit front and rear. I spoke to a friend and he reckons I should just get some washes 2 adjust da rear camber, but he's got an Accord so it might b different? Then a proper wheel alignment is needed! ( not da $30 wheel alignment which a dodgy and usually only change da toe, but not camber )

After that there was some bad news. :(
I need a NSF wheel bearing and nut! :shock: So now i gotta spend more money to fix this too! :x

Hopefully when I get da shocks, camber kits and wheel bearin/nut fitted and W/A, then I can really feel how da car can handle! :D

mo
23-10-2003, 09:42 PM
hehehe bad luck hanson but at least u got ur new shocks yea? hehehe

get somepics up once ur finished mate.

Civic Si
23-10-2003, 10:01 PM
Yeah, but it's gonna b a rougher ride though wit these lowered shocks!

toE
23-10-2003, 10:15 PM
err...wat's NSF?? :oops:

Civic Si
23-10-2003, 10:49 PM
err...wat's NSF?? :oops:

NSF stands for Near Side Front and means da front passenger or closest to da kerb side. :wink:

wynode
23-10-2003, 10:50 PM
Hey Hanson,

Are you running 17s or 18s? Also did you swap the front/rear tyres at some stage, because your fronts may aalso have the inners worn like the rears.

Should be sweet once the new shocks go in!

accordpwr
23-10-2003, 11:11 PM
ouch! my rear wheel bearing cost $400 each! Since it is a front wheel drive the front bearing(bigger I think) will cost slightly more as well!

Civic Si
23-10-2003, 11:15 PM
Win,

I'm runnin 7x17s wit Continentals up front, which replaced da Silverstones which were on da car when I bought it . I've still got da Silverstones at da rear which are worn out. So I'm gonna put da front Conti's to da rear and da new set on da front.

Da front Conti's are worn slighty on da outside, so wit da negaive camber on da rear should even things up when I swap to da rear.

So then I can finally give a verdict when my car is rollin on Conti's all round! :)

wynode
23-10-2003, 11:31 PM
Just a note. Once tyres start wearing unevenly, they continue to wear in a similar fashion, even if you adjust the camber. Especially on IRS setups.

Silverstones SUCK, and you should see a good improvement by just upgrading them!!

Just make sure you don't end up with 4 unevenly worn tyres!

VTi-RT
24-10-2003, 10:36 AM
I had to wait the same period time for my Teins.

Yes, you can adjust the rear camber with washers just like the accord. Front camber is a different matter thou, you'll have to buy a kit.

Civic Si
25-10-2003, 10:28 AM
ouch! my rear wheel bearing cost $400 each! Since it is a front wheel drive the front bearing(bigger I think) will cost slightly more as well!

I think that my front bearing is a sealed bearing, which might b da complete hub?

I'm getting my front bearing from Scotts Honda Artarmon for around $154 trade cost all up includin da nut! :)

Civic Si
25-10-2003, 10:35 AM
Yes, you can adjust the rear camber with washers just like the accord. Front camber is a different matter thou, you'll have to buy a kit.

I spoke to da guys who I got da shocks from and for $99 I can get a full wheel alignment, including camber adjustment wit shims at da rear. :)

The front on da other hand is a different story, they said that they're not happy about da K-Mac front camber kits for my car, but would rather modify my stub axles to adjust da camber instead :shock: :?:

VTi-RT
27-10-2003, 02:27 PM
Yeah, the K-mac camber kit is apparently crap. I wouldn't get your fronts modified... I'd go and buy the whiteline kit, or if I knew someone the the States or going there, get the skunk2 camber kit.

Civic Si
27-10-2003, 09:04 PM
I spoke to my Tafe teacher today and he also said to try whiteline rather than K-Mac. 8)