PDA

View Full Version : Eg Steering rack leaking,decision time

teh_mechanic
07-02-2008, 05:07 PM
My eg hatch's power steering rack is leaking....pretty bad,reservoir almost completely emptied in 3 weeks.

So i need to make a decision on what im going to do,what would you do?options are:

1. Get the rack reconditioned, so it will basically be brand new again - called BHSS (great workshop for car hydraulic reconditioning) - $530 to recondition rack,ouch,remember im a poor apprentice

2. Buy a rack from a wrecked eg or one for sale if i was lucky enough to find it and hope that it holds on and doesnt just start leaking in 5000kms.any around?prices?

3. Ditch the pump and turn the rack into a manual steer rack,theres a diy on here,but even then im sure the rack would still need fluid in it,so it would still leak,so i dont think i can do this

4. Buy my own seal kit ($145) and do a mini recondition of the rack myself.tried this on this rack 3 months ago when it started leaking,got it pressure tested by BHSS,they said it was ok,but now here i am with a leaking rack again,so im not really game to give it another try,its pretty tricky with heaps of lil silicone seals.

what to do?

EG5[KRT]
07-02-2008, 05:09 PM
id get a reco rack.

that way it wont leak again.if it does you can get a replacement under warranty.

90LAN
07-02-2008, 05:16 PM
pm sent

55EXX
08-02-2008, 07:52 PM
reco it man. fix it once.

Sir_vtec
09-02-2008, 04:28 PM
why dont u jst ditch power steering? mines leaking too but not as quick as urs, im gona remove the rack.

90LAN
09-02-2008, 05:31 PM
cheers brendan hope u enjoy your new eg6 steering rack

teh_mechanic
10-02-2008, 12:22 AM
why dont u jst ditch power steering? mines leaking too but not as quick as urs, im gona remove the rack.

remove the rack...and go for billycart rope steering. i assume you mean put a manual rack in.im sure theres a way of doing that,but i couldnt be bothered,and if you go manual with a power steer rack its still gonna leak fluid anyway.

anyway,problem solved thanks to lan,bought rack of him,thanks,saved me from catching the bus to work,now i need to put it in,not a fun job....*pounds head against wall*

Limbo
10-02-2008, 02:48 AM
lol last time i put a rack in i had the engine out, i don't envy you

BaNaNaMaN
10-02-2008, 09:53 AM
Easiest way would be to drop the sub frame complete. I just converted mine to a full manual steering rack and would think with the engine still in it would be the easiest way.

Mugen_B16B
10-02-2008, 11:18 AM
lucky for u its ur papaz workshop lol

teh_mechanic
10-02-2008, 03:07 PM
yeah im lucky in that i have a hoist to use at my dads workshop.i think i will use an engine crane to hold the engine up and lift it just a lil,drop the subframe off and see what ive got to work with.

I had the rack out when the engine was out and even then it was still a bit of a squeeze,i think honda put everything in the engine bay then realised at the end they needed to fit a steering rack in haha.will get going on it 2moro night,if i dont post something within a week,the engine has probably fallen on me and i need to be rescued

teh_mechanic
11-02-2008, 10:14 PM
put the rack in tonight.dropping the whole rear engine cradle was the best to go.took about 3 to 4 hours to get rack out and new one in.having a hoist helped :cool:.thanks for the parts :thumbsup: EGB.16 is back out menacing the roads as it should be

55EXX
12-02-2008, 07:02 AM
good to hear! now you've had experience with the rack i know who to come to when mine shts itself. ;-)