PDA

View Full Version : Tinny noise on my D16.

steve88
09-02-2008, 08:18 PM
hey guys, in conjunction to ****ed gbox bearings (getting fixed soon). my engine decided to make some more noises, it happens occasionally, but as im driving if as i press accelerator i can here a tinny noise; its not so constant, cuts in and out and is pretty gone by 4th gear

this sounds like if u put an egg beater and like shake it around a metal cup, it still makes the noise if im in nuetral and rev, but it wont really make it if i just started the car and revved, its like it happens after 5-10min of driving
the noise also sometimes occurs, but not really much if at all if you let go of accelerator

car is manual, ek1, 189,000km's, changing the oil tonight hoping that might be the cause but it sounds somewhat worse :(

any idea guys?

edit: did a quick search, engine hasnt been modified at all recently, exhaust did get changed but that was over a year ago havent had any problems since. it doesnt sound like its coming from the back of my car, more so from the front

imratedpg
09-02-2008, 10:01 PM
mate, its got to do with ur exhaust system.
the noise is coming from either exhaust manifold, engine/collector pipe. or maybe even the cat. but highly doubt it.

i had the same problem ages ago but then i changed the exhaust system header back and that fixed the noise. the car im driving now just started making that noise but i know its coming from the exhaust system somewhere coz my cars dumped and i work in a shopping centre so i scrape over these stupidly placed speed bumps.

steve88
10-02-2008, 12:27 AM
yeh my car has scraped ea bit actually, so what would actually cause it ? a hole in the exhaust?

Limbo
10-02-2008, 02:46 AM
might just be a loose heat shield, touching or rubbing against something.
Got the same prob in an older corolla, couldn't be bothered fixiing it

imratedpg
10-02-2008, 08:34 AM
its either :

1. a crack in the inner piping of your collector / engine piping
2. the bracket that holds your collector/engine piping near your oil sump has cracked
3. cat convertor rattling

Solution:
1. determine where the rattling is coming from. best way is to have your car looked by a mechanic or exhaust fitter
2. find a replacement engine/collector pipe that does not have a cracked internal pipe
3. cut out the outer pipe of the engine/collector pipe and spot weld up the crack - http://mustardcat.brinkster.net/p3g/CommonProblemFixes/2000rattle/2000rattle.htm
4. replace your cat

steve88
11-02-2008, 11:34 AM
fark thats a big job :( ill try the heatshield first

rayb3na_
12-02-2008, 04:30 PM
i reckon exhaust leak? does ur car kinda sound like a toy sometimes? cos mate had same issue in his aw11 and got a new exhaust car sounded normal after that =] hey steve so im guessing u bought an ek aye?

hondavti25
12-02-2008, 06:04 PM
mate, its got to do with ur exhaust system.
the noise is coming from either exhaust manifold, engine/collector pipe. or maybe even the cat. but highly doubt it.

i had the same problem ages ago but then i changed the exhaust system header back and that fixed the noise. the car im driving now just started making that noise but i know its coming from the exhaust system somewhere coz my cars dumped and i work in a shopping centre so i scrape over these stupidly placed speed bumps.

that be my guess i had the same thing with mine..

kazam
13-02-2008, 10:07 PM
wats wrong with your gearbox bearings?

steve88
14-02-2008, 04:51 PM
they're ****ed, it sounds all whirling/grindy. time to get it reconditioned

kazam
14-02-2008, 06:25 PM
yeh, let us no if u find newhere cheap :p

Limbo
15-02-2008, 11:10 AM
for a D series its cheaper to buy another box than get it reconditioned

beeza
15-02-2008, 12:06 PM
^^ Nice Limbo! You can pick them up on here (Ozhonda).

steve88
16-02-2008, 03:01 PM
yeh, let us no if u find newhere cheap :p

for a D series its cheaper to buy another box than get it reconditioned
my dad knows a transmission specalist he's doing my gearbox + clutch for $1000, but PM fatboyz or benson, they can supply you gearbox's for a great price. but beware that for old d series gearboxs, ****ed bearings is a common problem hence why id rather get mine redone

kazam
16-02-2008, 03:04 PM
1000 for reconditioned gearbox + new clutch?

steve88
17-02-2008, 06:34 PM
yeh, with labour, 1300 with timing belt done 2. but this is mates rates

[ricer]
17-02-2008, 06:44 PM
i had this noise but coz my timing was way to advanced lol