PDA

View Full Version : Opening DC2 Tail Lights

Balk2K
11-02-2008, 09:25 PM
G'day all,
I want to make some custom LED lights to replace the lamps in my DC2's tail lights. For this, I need to be able to get into the tail light housing. Does anyone know how I can separate the front plastic part from the reflectors?

-Andrew

GIPONU
11-02-2008, 09:45 PM
i think i remember seeing a thread..
or in a autosalon magazine..
wat they did was bake the high till the glue stuff melted
then they pulled it appart

doesnt help much but thats all i can help ya wif
gl

Balk2K
11-02-2008, 09:53 PM
Does that wreck the glue so that you need to replace it?

-Andrew

GIPONU
11-02-2008, 09:59 PM
not sure buddy.
but even if it does i suppose u can use silicon and glue it back up agen..

xtat1k
12-02-2008, 01:54 AM
perfect explanation ^^ +rep, but you might wanna use a hairdryer instead of baking it because ur better off taking longer to open it up than baking the whole thing with a chance of melting the housing. hairdryer it and use a screw driver, then clean some of the excess glue off and use silicon to glue it back up.

xntrik
12-02-2008, 05:20 AM
baking it will cause your light to bend. FTW!

T-onedc2
12-02-2008, 07:46 PM
I've wanted to put LED's (about 30-40 LED's) in my tail lights for ages now but haven't devised a plan, very interested to see the finished product.

Cold Fusion
15-02-2008, 11:18 AM
be careful with what u do when u open it, alot of people find they get leaks after sealing it back up, which can cause condensation in the light and also can blow the bulbs (hot bulb+water dont mix)

but if u do it properly and take ur time and make sure u seal it fully back up and take everything into consideration it should be ok...if i were u id use hair-dryer though, as xntrik said u can bend/warp your whole light if u put in oven...cook food in oven while using hairdryer ;)

Balk2K
03-03-2008, 09:50 PM
but you might wanna use a hairdryer instead of baking it because ur better off taking longer to open it up than baking the whole thing with a chance of melting the housing. hairdryer it and use a screw driver, then clean some of the excess glue off and use silicon to glue it back up.

I like this idea heaps more than the oven. I have a heatgun which I use to melt heatshrink but I think that it runs at either 300 or 500° so that might be a little extreme...

P.S. check out this month's OzHonda Wallpaper (March '08), it's my photo of Alexx's Civic!