PDA

View Full Version : Fuel consumption on ED

kwayzivietnamese
26-08-2004, 12:10 AM
Hey ppl,
i just want to get a rough idea of how much i should be getting outta my tank of fuel for my car. I just got it and it seems to be taking quite a lot...
A full tank of BP Ultimate (about $35-40) only gets me about 350km....wiv a fair bit of whipping to 5000-6000 a few times a day. Is this milleage ok? If i drive like granny, shifting at 3000, i get about 450km. So basically, on average 1 buck of petrol gets me about 10-12km of travel...normal or not?

kera_1
26-08-2004, 12:23 AM
altho i dun drive a manual one we get about 300+km in 1 tank....but mine is auto and its got about 230000ish on the clock.....thats my 2cents

Setanta
26-08-2004, 07:26 AM
If you are putting the boot in - about 380kms would be about right from my past experiences with the ED6. You should get about 530kms constant freeway driving.

BTW: Don't pay the extra 8 cents putting Ultimate (or any other 98 octane) into the car. It's not a high-comp motor and you prolly won't see any difference using normal fuel if the D16 is stock. The engine was built in the late '80s to run on Aussie fuel at the time, not modern premium unleaded.

mytoycivic
26-08-2004, 03:47 PM
*agrees*
it makes no difference with premium...believe me i used premium in my ED for 3 months (about 12 fill-ups) and i noticed no difference. ***save ur money***
setanta is right...i get about 550k out of a tank on mine and it has 233000kms on the clock (manual) thats freeway kms too...

if i drive it to the shops ...ie short distances all the time i prolly cut that down to about 400kms

hope this helps.
BTW IMO if u want ur ED to last (u have D15 in it yes?) then dont whip it all the time! these cars were designed for grannies...that is why they made the CRX!
a little here and there wont hurt...but 5-6 grand every day? i give it 6 months
just a thought :):):)

kwayzivietnamese
26-08-2004, 09:54 PM
Hehe thanks for the info guys.
Yeah my engine's got 220k on the clock.
As regarding fuel...i find that the car idles a heck lot smoother on premium...like i put leaded n the beast vibrates abit on idle....98 octane n she purrs like a kitten...
As for consumption wise...i find that if i put in 10 bucks of premium or 10 bucks of unleaded, i get the same mileage outta both, and i kid u not, sumtymz i get more outta the premium...
Hehe yeah i give it a bit of a whip every now n then...not as often as i say...but abit every now n then wen im in a hurry to uni.
Record is 21minutes from Padstow station to Sydney Uni :p

rly1
05-09-2004, 02:02 AM
hey people, since u guys talking about ED and since the subject of the thread seems settled, I wanted to ask something, I just started a delivery job, and lots of ignition on and off, is it bad for the car?? would a turbo timer help?

mytoycivic
05-09-2004, 09:52 AM
maybe if u had a turbo...why not just leave ur car running when delivering to houses? explain it more if i am confused :D

Rufes1
05-09-2004, 02:12 PM
I used to deliver pizza's in my ed, she didnt seem to have any problems.
They are strong motors, i drive mine very hard and she eats no oil after 220,000km

rly1
05-09-2004, 03:09 PM
cos I'm just being paranoid over thief..haha, I have the habit of taking the key out when I live my baby everytime... :) and I heard people with NA cars having turbo timer, so the engine can iddle a bit before switching off by itself...

kwayzivietnamese
05-09-2004, 09:32 PM
its not really necessary in an NA car. Turbo yeah, cauz its for the turbo. N yes, they also use it for NA cars as well, but yeah, its not really necessary. But if u like, by all means it get it :D

rly1
06-09-2004, 01:13 AM
yeah, well I do like it but just wanted to know if it does help as well and if switching on and off so many times a day is bad or not

JEMBON
06-09-2004, 09:57 PM
[QUOTE=kwayzivietnamese]Hehe thanks for the info guys.

did u get a new motor or sumfin cos my fren use to own that car n last i saw it it had about 300kms+ on the clock n thats afta he wound it back from 380kms

kwayzivietnamese
06-09-2004, 10:02 PM
[QUOTE=kwayzivietnamese]Hehe thanks for the info guys.

did u get a new motor or sumfin cos my fren use to own that car n last i saw it it had about 300kms+ on the clock n thats afta he wound it back from 380kms

Yup, its got new motor in it bro. Well, kinda new...cuz owns panel shop n he had a civic that was rear ended. Truck crushed it. :D
So i inherited the motor :p

End of year or beginning early next year, im gonna reco the whole beast. Top and bottom end for just ova 1k. For just top of head, seals n crap, mechanics would chop ya 1k already...hehe good to no ppl in the industry. Then another few hundred for full extractors n zorst system. Its gonna be one mighty scary d15 carby :p