PDA

View Full Version : Light weight flywheel in a dc2r

Jomsy
12-02-2008, 07:03 PM
I need to change my clutch soon and im curious, does a light weight fly wheel make any real difference on a dc2r.

anyone who actually change it would be great to hear comments from

Tu88y
12-02-2008, 07:11 PM
Yes it will make a difference
I think a stock itr flywheel should weigh about 6.5 or 7.5kg quote me if im wrong and a light weigh one can be about 4kg
it helps you rev the car quicker

DLO01
12-02-2008, 07:13 PM
Absolutley. Light fly is one of those really great mods, Toda, excedy, Spoon, whatever . Definatly do it while your doing your clutch.

Your engine will rev up faster and will also rev down faster.

This is one mod where you can feel the difference. Where as a simple filter or other minor mod, my bum-o-meter is not sensitive enough to pick up. ha ha.. :p

I am sure this has been asked before so do a search.

dslt
12-02-2008, 08:14 PM
Yupz it does make a difference, just changed mine a week ago along with the clutch. Revs pick up much quicker =)

94dc2tegz
12-02-2008, 08:37 PM
sorry to butt in but if it makes a noticeable difference in a DC2R which comes stock with a lighter than normal fly, does that mean it'll benefit a VTiR even more so?

Tu88y
12-02-2008, 09:37 PM
DC2R flywheel are lighter then VTIR flywheel
weight difference is about 2kg and yes it will make a difference

fatboyz39
12-02-2008, 09:59 PM
Unless you doing the work yourself...no point changing flywheel. If you doing a clutch change .... then upgrade to a lighten flywheel is worthwhile.

Zilli
13-02-2008, 09:33 AM
DO IT

but depending on the clutch and the fly you choose, you will get more nosie from the entire unit

<4n'D>
13-02-2008, 04:35 PM
imo same brand clutch and fly will bed in better. with this in mind i bought exedy fly (4.1kg) and hd clutch.

obviously the engine revs up and down quicker, providing a 'higher torque' effect

power delivery is more linear compared to stock, car is smoother around the lower rev ranges (ie when you decide to leave the car with throttle off in say... 2nd gear @ 3000-4000rpm it's difficult to reapply throttle without the car jerking foward)

vtec transition is smoother too.

hui
13-02-2008, 09:56 PM
if you wanna loose torque, do it. stock fly on dc2R is good enough.

TeMp
13-02-2008, 10:13 PM
if you wanna loose torque, do it. stock fly on dc2R is good enough.

Why do you lose torque with a lighter fly wheel? Please explain.

Angie
14-02-2008, 07:30 PM
Why do you lose torque with a lighter fly wheel? Please explain.

Thats the trade off with a lightened flywheel, less weight in the fly = less inertia in it so for example going up a hill you might have to go down a gear, it is still one of the best mods for an NA car

ricki_kalsi
15-02-2008, 08:40 AM
Of course it does! It's actually one of my favourite mods.

Any good aftermarket flywheel is great! Toda is better as the holes are closer to the outside.

Lets just say on the track with a lightened flywheel you pull 1/2 -3/4 of a car length in front of a car.

xtercii
15-02-2008, 08:54 AM
Thats the trade off with a lightened flywheel, less weight in the fly = less inertia in it so for example going up a hill you might have to go down a gear, it is still one of the best mods for an NA car

no you don't, if anything you can probably leave it in higher gear as the car picks up rev faster and land you in optimum power band quicker...

and according to ur theory less internia means less torque, then how does more internia create additional torque?

milkman
15-02-2008, 09:01 AM
Doesn't change the gear ratio Angie.

ricki_kalsi
15-02-2008, 11:17 AM
Doesn't change the gear ratio.

Because of inertia loss, it's harder to keep the flywheel spinning, and it harder to gain revs. Hence resulting in alot of down shifting.

On a flat surface / track / drag strip it's amazing.

<4n'D>
15-02-2008, 09:30 PM
many people will attest that the flywheel (and clutch) combo will provide you with the best bang for buck.

but financially it only makes sense to upgrade the fly with the clutch.

lightened flywheel or not, its bad for your engines if you get lazy with the gears.

dudeling7
15-02-2008, 09:37 PM
you do not loose any torque at all with a lghtened flywheel, biggest myth on the net!

Angie
16-02-2008, 02:49 PM
no you don't, if anything you can probably leave it in higher gear as the car picks up rev faster and land you in optimum power band quicker...

and according to ur theory less internia means less torque, then how does more internia create additional torque?

Have you actually had experience with them because what you just said is total bullshit. They do not create additional torque but will not necessary decrease the torque either. It may if anything make you have to change down gear a bit more.

It is a great mod and will make the engine rev quicker. One of my favourite mods to do.

jords
16-02-2008, 07:33 PM
just machine your DC2R flywheel, thats what i did.... its better for the new clutch as well.

ricki_kalsi
16-02-2008, 10:51 PM
It's always makes me laugh to read Flywheel discussion threads.

Firstly here is a link, which will explain roughly how clutches and flywheels work - because I know alot of the people on forums will not know how they work, and are too scared to ask (kinda dumb if you ask me, forum's are here for us to learn).

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/clutch1.htm

Here is an interesting small read on Lightened flywheels.

http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/7177/flywheel.html

It also explains why Toda Flywheels would be better than Spoon flywheels, as the holes (removal of weight) is closer to the outside edge. Also touches on why lightening a stock flywheel is bad.

EURON8
17-02-2008, 04:49 PM
you gotta be fked in the head to think lightened flywheel will make you lose torque...

hui
18-02-2008, 10:20 AM
you gotta be fked in the head to think lightened flywheel will make you lose torque...

you gotta be fked beliveing it doesnt... get one and you'll find out. you'll also realise not everything you read on car forums are true.

macoman69
18-02-2008, 01:36 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43186&highlight=anatomy+flywheel

May i direct you to the thread that i wrote nearly two years ago it might help some ppl understand some more.

bennjamin
18-02-2008, 04:28 PM
you gotta be fked beliveing it doesnt... get one and you'll find out. you'll also realise not everything you read on car forums are true.

a ENGINE produces torque. A FLYWHEEL stores this energy , it has no effect on TORQUE.

Put a car on a dyno with a standard flywheel , get a print out and then install a lighter flywheel. Dyno it right after and the power produced and torque figures will be exactly the same

TODA AU
18-02-2008, 09:33 PM
Adding to Ben's comments,

A heavy flywheel basically helps to smooth the power delivery to the wheels when the engine is running at very low speeds. Idle, walking pace etc...
Because of the inertia of the heavy flywheel, the engine tends to remain at it's operating speed rather than change.
That is more effort is required of the engine to change the actual operating speed.
The reverse is true with a lightweight flywheel.
The engine is more able to rapidly change it's operating speed with less effort or input.
This can taken on face value as an ultra light weight will deliver quick response and ultra heavy flywheel will deliver slow response.
Yet the actual power output remains unchanged, only the delivery of it.
The main benifit of a lightweight flywheel for those who the track is reduced lap times.
The lap times are reduced more by improved braking distances than improved acceleration, though initially the improved acceleration is more apparent.
Braking distances are improved by superior engine braking.
Though a reduction in weight is important, it is the reduction in inertia that is most noticable.
The more inertia removed from the flywheel vs stock, the more response will be delivered.
It is the response that makes it fun to drive & why it's a popular modification.

hui
18-02-2008, 11:37 PM
toda au explantion sounds fair, im no pro at modifying cars, nor am i a keyboard pro, i speak from my own experiences. after installation of a spoon fly and clutch combo on my dc2R i've noticed the car required more revs and throttle to reach a desired speed, giving it a loss in torque effect. going uphill with passengers is a bitch. i can now relate to the term "different power delivery" thanks....:thumbsup:

hui
19-02-2008, 12:06 AM
a ENGINE produces torque. A FLYWHEEL stores this energy , it has no effect on TORQUE.

Put a car on a dyno with a standard flywheel , get a print out and then install a lighter flywheel. Dyno it right after and the power produced and torque figures will be exactly the same

put those two exact cars with (200kgs passenger weight) on a uphill climb, one with lighten fly and the other without. which one reaches the destination 1st?

Zilli
19-02-2008, 08:55 AM
interesting question... the fact that the car with the lightened flywheel will rev quicker means it will accelerate quicker is my understanding...

ricki_kalsi
19-02-2008, 09:02 AM
But won't be be able to store the energy as Inertia to move the flywheel. I believe the heavier flywheel, given you are not flooring it, will reach the detination first. Is this correct?

It's all got to do with Storing energy (Inertia - is this related to centifugal force as such??) etc... doesn't it?

teaseR
19-02-2008, 10:14 AM

correct me if im wrong but

as some have said and this is my understanding

rev faster --> fast acceleration --> more torque

ricki_kalsi
19-02-2008, 11:12 AM
Wrong... you are not adding power in anyway possible. It's just the transfer of energy, and as a result altering the way the power is delivered (As adrian put it).

teaseR
19-02-2008, 11:16 AM
So the Light weight flywheel will just increase acceleration?

DLO01
19-02-2008, 12:12 PM
put those two exact cars with (200kgs passenger weight) on a uphill climb, one with lighten fly and the other without. which one reaches the destination 1st?

It does not matter how heavy the passengers are, just as long as the two senarios are the same weight.

Given your in the same gear:

-If your car is increasing in revs the light fly will get you there 1st.

-If you car is decreasing in revs the heavy fly will get you there 1st.

This could be at part throttle or full throttle. If your increasing in rpm you'll benifit from a light fly as its less weight to shift. If your decreasing in rpm the mometum in your heavy fly will help it to go further.

Light fly pros heavily outweigh the cons. Get it now, don't look back.

ricki_kalsi
19-02-2008, 12:15 PM
Good explanation DLO01

DLO01
19-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Hey well I am an engineer. I should know these things. :p

Yes, well I am just taking in the characteristics of a light and heavy fly.

Light Fly:
Faster acceleration (increasing in RPM will take you further faster)
Faster deceleration

Heavy Fly:
Slower acceleration
Slower deceleration (decreasing in RPM will take you further faster)

The key is if you are increasing in Rpm or decreasing.

:thumbsup:

Elwood
19-02-2008, 01:05 PM
Faster deceleration

Hence good for engine braking.

Limbo
19-02-2008, 01:06 PM
toda au explantion sounds fair, im no pro at modifying cars, nor am i a keyboard pro, i speak from my own experiences. after installation of a spoon fly and clutch combo on my dc2R i've noticed the car required more revs and throttle to reach a desired speed, giving it a loss in torque effect. going uphill with passengers is a bitch. i can now relate to the term "different power delivery" thanks....:thumbsup:

I can explain this one. With the lighter wheel the wheel is easily stopped by anything touching it i.e the clutch. It revvs up quicker but when something touches it it slows down faster also. Thus that's why you have to rev the car more to have it start.

So with a lighter fly you have to rev more to start it but it also slows down faster, but revs up quicker.

Hope that explains it

PaZzMaN-R
19-02-2008, 05:14 PM
only con of the lightweight flywheel is that i cant get up hills in 5th that i used to be able to.

kongfu
19-02-2008, 09:22 PM
Vote for TODA and SPOON!~

AzKik-R
22-02-2008, 09:07 PM
when i doubt,,, try it out.. grand turismo. its only a game, but the comparisons are pretty accurate

EKVTIR-T
23-02-2008, 05:13 PM
Why has no one mentioned inertia in regard's to this topic?

DLO01
23-02-2008, 05:25 PM
You obviously cannot read.

ricki_kalsi
25-02-2008, 09:41 AM
LOL... it's been mentioned everywhere.

Jomsy
26-02-2008, 05:48 PM
well just finished fitting my toda setup, and all i can say is WOW what a difference, its clear to me who knows what they are talking about and who is full of sh!t.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: to lightweight flywheels haha

EKVTIR-T
26-02-2008, 05:55 PM
You obviously cannot read.

lol thank's einstein.Yes me is illiterate :rolleyes:

Elwood
06-03-2008, 04:47 PM
I have just had the Spoon clutch + Fly fitted.

Im keeping it steady for about 500km then ill test it out properly. It almost FEELS like theres a loss in torque (im aware of the previous discussions in this thread) - and it also revs alot quicker and smoother.

When i can get the throttle pumping i think ill really be able to test it out.

So fellas, simple question.

1 stock car (DC2R) vs a stock car (DC2R) with a lightened flywheel + clutch combo in a straight line on a flat surface (1/4 mile).

..Who wins?

<4n'D>
06-03-2008, 11:45 PM
you obviously did not read though this thread....

ricki_kalsi
07-03-2008, 08:55 AM
I have just had the Spoon clutch + Fly fitted.

Im keeping it steady for about 500km then ill test it out properly. It almost FEELS like theres a loss in torque (im aware of the previous discussions in this thread) - and it also revs alot quicker and smoother.

When i can get the throttle pumping i think ill really be able to test it out.

So fellas, simple question.

1 stock car (DC2R) vs a stock car (DC2R) with a lightened flywheel + clutch combo in a straight line on a flat surface (1/4 mile).

..Who wins?

Spoon clutch, being a 3 puk ceramic?

Elwood
07-03-2008, 09:57 PM
Spoon clutch is a full open face clutch, not sure about details.

Elwood
07-03-2008, 09:58 PM
you obviously did not read though this thread....

You obviously are a douchebag.

bennjamin
07-03-2008, 10:03 PM
..Who wins?

on a 1/4 ?

Id say same driver....same result.

But its over a track with corners and downshifting that is where you will notice a lighter flywheel helps

Elwood
07-03-2008, 10:21 PM
on a 1/4 ?

Id say same driver....same result.

But its over a track with corners and downshifting that is where you will notice a lighter flywheel helps

Precisely what ive noticed from driving with my new setup.

Exactly whats been stated previously...

Engine braking is greatly improved, revs quicker + smoother. I have only downshifted with some effort once with this new clutch + fly, and it is 10 times smoother and quicker to respond than the oem.

I think one of the main differences is the response, in all aspects.

ricki_kalsi
10-03-2008, 09:40 AM
Spoon clutch is a full open face clutch, not sure about details.

WHAT?!?! Elwood, you noob!

How is the clutch though champ?

PaZzMaN-R
12-03-2008, 10:02 AM
Precisely what ive noticed from driving with my new setup.

Exactly whats been stated previously...

Engine braking is greatly improved, revs quicker + smoother. I have only downshifted with some effort once with this new clutch + fly, and it is 10 times smoother and quicker to respond than the oem.

I think one of the main differences is the response, in all aspects.

what about making daily driving heaps more pleasant?

neut
21-04-2008, 12:13 PM
with a lighter flywheel is it harder to drive with for everyday use? or is it the same as a stock clutch in a way

SeverAMV
21-04-2008, 12:22 PM
blargh.

with a lighter flywheel, you have more difficulty transferring torque. with a heavy flywheel, it maintains high momentum, so when you're launching, it can maintain that momentum, and transfer more of the torque, which allows you to move faster. but with a lightweight flywheel, it cant transfer the torque as well due to a lower mass, so to maintain the same launch, you have to rev it higher to increase the momentum, otherwise an aftermarket clutch will make it bog down a little due to increased clamping power.
heavy flywheels are also useful inbetween upshifts, in that it maintains its momentum more, which can help reduce lag between upshifts.

the mass of the factory flywheel in an ITR is probably the most balanced you'll find.
oh and if you dig around the american honda forums and start asking the pros, the lightweight flywheel is slower down the quarter due to difficulty launching it properly, but it has a higher trap speed at the end.

ricki_kalsi
21-04-2008, 01:44 PM
Blargh right back at you mate!