PDA

View Full Version : What is the point of a turbo timer on N/A cars?

JaCe
12-02-2008, 11:09 PM
Just looking at JDM Concept on eBay, and noticed on their Turbo Timer page they mention;

It is suitable for both Naturally Aspirated (N/A) or Turbo cars.
URL: http://cgi.ebay.com/BLITZ-FULL-AUTO-TURBO-TIMER-FATT-DC-IV-UNIVERSAL-USE_W0QQitemZ290204153571QQihZ019QQcategoryZ72478Q QtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

So now I wonder, what is the point? Am I missing something? Or does this just leave your car idling after you turn the ignition off and take the key out... I suppose it would allow me to leave my sound system on without having the key in but can't really figure out any real benefits otherwise?

DLO01
12-02-2008, 11:13 PM
You just have to remember that a TT is just a tool and is not even 'needed' on a FI car.

Some NA people after they track thier cars, like to cool thier car down so thier Oil and Water temps return to normal.

JaCe
12-02-2008, 11:15 PM
That makes sense. I guess you'd have to be pretty serious about TT since there may be insurance implications.

Mr_will
12-02-2008, 11:18 PM
the real answer is - there is no point, on an n/a car its a waste.

even on a turbo car, its not that hard to just sit in the seat while you leave the engine running for 60seconds.

a turbo timer's function is to keep the engine running after you turn the car off so that oil doesnt sit around the turbo straight away (ie letting the oil circulate when the turbo is not spinning so that it has a chace to cool down), because if it does, the turbo is significantly hotter than the block, which can cause the oil to degrade very quickly and turn to sludge - bad for turbo, bad for your engine too.

because n/a cars simply do not generate the same heat that a turbo does, the oil does not sludge when it is left in the galleries upon shutting the engine down, therefore a turbo timer is not necessary.

further to this, because the car is stationary, no air is flowing past the radiator/oil cooler (if you have one) and the engine itself, meaning that under bonnet temps are more likely to INCREASE than decrease.

imratedpg
12-02-2008, 11:23 PM
maybe it cools down the engine quicker? coz itis being cooled by the radiator as well?

perhaps the driver wants the other features apart from acting as a mere simple turbo timer and paying for an expensive pfc or vafc

as quoted from the ebay link:

# bar graph for easy visibility.
# Full auto model which calculate the right "after-idling" time.
# Battery voltage meter.
# Accurate temperature meter.
# Lap timer / Stopwatch functionality

some turbo timers even show readings of fuel ratio or air flow or exhaust temp.

maybe people just like the rice factor?beats me hey.

Mr_will
12-02-2008, 11:27 PM
maybe it cools down the engine quicker? coz itis being cooled by the radiator as well?

nah, for the reasons i stated above, namely heat-soak, it doesnt. youd be better off spending 1-2km driving easy

DLO01
12-02-2008, 11:30 PM
When stationary engine bay temps will increase, but the radiator fan is on and cooling your water. Your water and oil WILL return to normal temps. Your cooling system needs to be able to do this.

Limbo
13-02-2008, 08:39 AM
its for lazy people who forget to cool down the car and wanna take off as soon as the car stops.

N/A i don't think its really relevant, i use to thrash my car pretty hard and all i did was just turn it off still, never an issue.

It smore of a gimick to sell turbo timers to ricer boys

hondajazz2005
13-02-2008, 12:45 PM
actually what is N/A ???

dc2dc2dc2
13-02-2008, 12:51 PM
natrually aspirated ?

Manabir
13-02-2008, 01:18 PM
actually what is N/A ???

natrually aspirated ?

yeap....basicly translates to not forced induction.
not turboed.
not supercharged.

dc2dc2dc2
13-02-2008, 01:27 PM
TT = purely wank factor

Q_ball
13-02-2008, 01:34 PM
^ NOt wank factor... for convenience.
60 seconds in ur car... waiting for it to cool down, is fckn annoying!!
Especailly when ur ina rush!

Limbo
13-02-2008, 01:46 PM
yeah but that only applies to turbos

dsp26
13-02-2008, 02:06 PM
You just have to remember that a TT is just a tool and is not even 'needed' on a FI car.

Some NA people after they track thier cars, like to cool thier car down so thier Oil and Water temps return to normal.

true but i reckon their only useful on an electric water pump setup with temp control (and no mechanical thermostat)

that way the engine can be off but the TT will leave the electric pump and fan on...

Elwood
13-02-2008, 02:16 PM
Remeber too guys, that with the TT you can just turn the car off immediately if you have kept it below boost/havnt been thrashing it etc city driving.

same with n/a..

ek4-guy
13-02-2008, 02:32 PM
Only really wankers would use them at the race track after a race aswell.

From my experiance you never move too far from the car for the first 20mins after a race anways.

But yeah if your selling a product that has a wanker feature then why not advertise it wankers have money to. So i see why JDM Concept would mention it.

Elwood
13-02-2008, 03:11 PM
But yeah if your selling a product that has a wanker feature then why not advertise it wankers have money to. So i see why JDM Concept would mention it.

Did you read the first posts?

<4n'D>
13-02-2008, 04:22 PM
for n/a applications, it tricks people into thinking your car is fast... or makes them think you're a rice boy.

total waste of money if you dont have a turbo.

also remember that a benefit of n/a over forced induction is that there is less importance in cooling down the engine before turning off

dsp26
13-02-2008, 04:30 PM
^^yes because usually the turbo charger will be a lot hotter than the engine...

by letting the engine cool itself and circulate oil/coolant... that cooled oil/coolant in turn cools the turbocharger....

so yeah don't see a point on an NA track car.... only if it's setup to trigger electric water pump plus fan while car is off and no thermostat to cool the actual engine...

thebob
13-02-2008, 04:55 PM
The voltage and air fuel side of the TT comes in handy.

claymore
13-02-2008, 06:19 PM
Had our fun if anyone wants to continue the never ending TT n/a discussion search for the old LONG thread and take this discussion there. Closed