PDA

View Full Version : 94 Accord Steering Rack

vtecinaccord
13-02-2008, 09:20 AM
Hi there my right hand wheel on my accord has a slight wobble when you grab hold of it and give it a shake.. The mechanic says its a worn steering rack bush.. Is this true and if so how easy is it to replace yourself...

the mech also said its cheaper to buy a reco rack and install that than to do the bushes??

ECU-MAN
13-02-2008, 09:26 AM
if it wabble in the - axsis then its tie rod end ( very easy to replace ) if it wabbles on the | axsis then its wheel bearing

vtecinaccord
13-02-2008, 09:56 AM
If i wobble the wheel it also moves the tie rod. So its not the wheel bearing.. this also only happens on the right hand side the other side appears fine.. But is most likley on its way out soon so if they are easy to replace i may havea go. also does anyone know a good online honda parts dealer, i really dont wanna buy of my local honda because they have caused me so much grief.

vtecinaccord
19-02-2008, 08:16 AM
OK the wobble is comming from the steering rack side of the tie rod.. What do i do from here? Where can i by OEM Honda parts at a good price...

JohnL
19-02-2008, 09:19 AM
OK the wobble is comming from the steering rack side of the tie rod.. What do i do from here? Where can i by OEM Honda parts at a good price...

Sounds like your mechanic is saying that as you apply a force to the wheel (at the 9 to 3 position) that this is causing the right side of the rack itself to move vetically and / or horizontally in the rack housing. This would probably be wear in the rack teeth and / or pinion gear, if it were on the left side it would be wear in the rack locating bush.

The pinion could theroretically be moved closer to the rack to take up the wear (by deducting adjustment shims), but would almost definitely bind up away from the straight ahead position (where wear will be less).

For new OE parts I think a Honda dealer is your only option. If you need to replace the steering rack then your best bet is a wrecker. This would be far cheaper than rebuilding your rack.

vtecinaccord
19-02-2008, 09:54 AM
Yes the honda mech said that they would need to install a new steering rack..or a reconditioned one. Whats the price on a reco steering rack approx? Could i purchase one and install myself?

JohnL
20-02-2008, 07:31 AM
Yes the honda mech said that they would need to install a new steering rack..or a reconditioned one. Whats the price on a reco steering rack approx? Could i purchase one and install myself?

Haven't got a clue as to prices. New or reco would be the best options, but second hand would also be a good option if price is a serious consideration. Steering racks last a long time generally, shouldn't be hard to find a good one at a wreckers.

I haven't pulled a rack and pinion on a Honda, but I can't see why you couldn't do it yourself if you're a reasonably competant home mechanic.