PDA

View Full Version : DC5R idling problem

FEL12X
14-02-2008, 11:32 AM
Hey guys

i havent drive my DC5R for more then a month and store in the garage

the battery gone flat and i need a booster to start it

the car starts but just wont idle...rev keep jumoing between 1K-2K mark

after a 30 minutes drive the car still like that and then i start to think what happen..and the battery wont charge up too

then the next day , the car wont start and i jump start it again and its still the same, and then i think maybe the battery is dead,..so i test it and it is dead...

after the new battery put in, the car acts the same , keep reving 1-2K for another 20 minutes, then i decide to go for a drive, ..then now seems the problem is fix

anyone experience this problem before? or there is a problem with my car? as even my civic and DC4 battery run flat it wont happen like this

anyone can tell me whats wrong with my DC5?

thanks

mugsee
14-02-2008, 11:57 AM
The jumpiness in your idle is your ECU relearning how to idle. Its completely normal.

BusterSonic12
14-02-2008, 11:58 AM
i never experienced burnt clutch. but people told me that your rpm will random go up.... anyone know if that's the case?

FEL12X
14-02-2008, 12:20 PM
i thought so
but i was thinking why its related to the battery
coz when i still have the old battery, it just wont idle at all
and this not happen in my other EK DC2

EuroDude
14-02-2008, 01:23 PM
The jumpiness in your idle is your ECU relearning how to idle. Its completely normal.

Are you sure? My euro (K24A) didnt do that when the ECU was reset.

Perhaps there was a buildup or dryup of oil/contaminants in the thottle body or fuel injectors which have now burnt away.

ps. you should disconnect the battery if you store the car for a long time. Once a battery goes completely flat, it'll never be the same again.

Bludger
14-02-2008, 02:03 PM
vacuum line may be loose

EDIT

something to do with your vacuum

FEL12X
14-02-2008, 02:13 PM
hm..this really worry me as i cant anything wrong from the wires or hose , and my enigne bay is pretty much stock, just a panel filter thats all

but even if its hunting an idle point, should take that long right..20 minutes...if i didnt drive it, it will take even longer

ricki_kalsi
14-02-2008, 03:32 PM
IAC valve I think it is! It just gets stuck, and then jumps up and down around the 1-2000 RPM mark. Sounds like you have awsome cams! You can have it cleaned, or replaced at Honda... or if you know what your doing, clean it yourself.

mugsee
14-02-2008, 04:40 PM
Eurodude: seems to only happen (to me) when you drain the battery completely and not just reset the ecu/disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it. Or, it could be the K24 ECU is different to the K20 ECU.

I'm not too sure why it didn't learn your idle first time around but it seems to be acting normally after you changed your battery. Check the helms manual for more information on letting the car relearn how to idle after resetting the ECU.

ricki_kalsi
15-02-2008, 08:35 AM
Did you check to see if it was the IAC Valve? Or at least call Honda and ask them?

Stock ECU's will not take that long to "learn".

xdannyx
15-02-2008, 09:06 AM
i had this problem on my base dc5 and it was the IAC valve. the engine warning light also came on, did you get that too?

milkman
15-02-2008, 09:19 AM
Could it be petrol related too? Sitting there for such a long time fuel may drop a few RON?

ricki_kalsi
15-02-2008, 09:47 AM
i had this problem on my base dc5 and it was the IAC valve. the engine warning light also came on, did you get that too?

Engine light does not need to come on. It's a common problem with Honda's the stickey IAC valve.

oconnor
15-02-2008, 11:19 AM
i never experienced burnt clutch. but people told me that your rpm will random go up.... anyone know if that's the case?

I've experienced it many times before. I wouldn't say the revs jump, but say your pulling up to a set of lights. Depress the clutch maybe second gear and glide to the line. Revs will slowly slowly lead down to idle. This occurs when you pull up alot. They do go down, but it may hold them at 2 - 3k (depends on car, and clutch etc) for a certain amount of time before dropping to idle.

So I wouldn't say this is the case purely because it seems that it wasn't an issue before the battery ran flat.

Amusevtec
15-02-2008, 03:42 PM
I had this problem too, I came back from overseas and I started my car again after 1 month.

The battery wasn't dead, but it would rev just below 1 and jump up to 2, and keep going. After a while it warmed up and I drove it around and it went back to normal.

BusterSonic12
15-02-2008, 10:12 PM
I've experienced it many times before. I wouldn't say the revs jump, but say your pulling up to a set of lights. Depress the clutch maybe second gear and glide to the line. Revs will slowly slowly lead down to idle. This occurs when you pull up alot. They do go down, but it may hold them at 2 - 3k (depends on car, and clutch etc) for a certain amount of time before dropping to idle.

So I wouldn't say this is the case purely because it seems that it wasn't an issue before the battery ran flat.

^^ hhehe sorry. i mnoob :o

FEL12X
16-02-2008, 12:41 PM
thanks for all the advice here

was also thinking the IACV as well

now my car is acting normal after a new battery put in, maybe have a clean of the IAC in the next service, my engine light didnt come on, but just keep reving and reving, non-stop..even rev it to higher rev still the same

i would say most likely is the battery, but now if i disconnt it it wont happen again, so does it means there is some sort of battery/memory in the ECU for a short / back up when battery run flat..but not for a month long like this?

i dont know about the clutch, but i did feel my clutch is on the way after i come back from overseas....is it sitting too long so make it no grab?

ricki_kalsi
16-02-2008, 10:53 PM
I think in conclusion... DC5R are crap.

Also, DC2R > DC5R.

hehehe... :)

obsessionz
17-02-2008, 07:57 AM
the problem is normal man, when u disconnect the battery ecu resets idle goes funny... then after about 15mins its fine...

FEL12X
18-02-2008, 08:12 PM
ok..seems thats normal too all DC5R

black_dc_5
01-07-2008, 03:35 PM
My DC5 always like that everytime I'm back from overseas trip.
What I do is just drive around till the engine warm up, at this time the idle still jumping up and down. Then VTEC it 1st, 2nd gear for 2-3 times LOL.

Then it always fix itself, been doing it since I bought it, no problem at all.

black_dc_5
02-07-2008, 03:18 PM
problem solved... thanks dude.... :thumbsup:

Well VTEC is the solution :D

AsHw3e
25-06-2010, 12:35 PM
Hey guys.. Just got back from overseas yesterday. Was away for one month and i went to start the car and my batt was dead. Jump started it and it started.. i was letting it warm up until my revs started jumping around.. between 1 - 2 rpm. Felt like someone was in the car reving n reving.. I Unplugged the battery to reset the ecu. Would this fix the problem? Was also told that maybe my Throttle Body could be dirty? .. going to check the oil incase its low but i highly doubt that would be the case. Also the car is pretty much on empty tank but id put 5ltrs in it so i guess that should be ok.

Any inputs would be much appreciated :) .. thanks guys.