PDA

View Full Version : Throttle Response Time

Stubbsalicious
14-02-2008, 01:33 PM
Hey, i've had my manual Civic VTi-L for about 7 months now, and i thought i'd see if anyone's throttle response is a little delayed. I used to have an old Nissan Pulsar '90 model, and it's throttle response was immediate. But when i have the civic in neutral and rev the engine it takes like atleast half a second to register that i put the foot down. I thought the drive-by-wire throttle would be just as reactive as the old throttle cable.

Anybody have similiar issues?

EuroDude
14-02-2008, 01:38 PM
The Euro and other K Series cars do the same thing. Honda programmed the DBW to do that for safety reasons if I recall correctly.

In the US, many Civic owners complained about the delay and as a result, Honda reprogrammed it so it was more responsive.

It is annoying but you get used to it. Although if there was a reflash/fix available, I'd do it in a second.

chockz
14-02-2008, 03:29 PM
that's E-throttle for u manG!

markCivicVti
14-02-2008, 03:57 PM
I got a 07 FD1. Yes sometimes I do notice it, tho I don't think its that bad. You do get used to it and I don't see it being a problem.

Not that you should be revving in neutral anyway :P

JaCe
15-02-2008, 12:09 AM
You learn to drive the car in such a way that you take advantage of this (e.g. by holding the engine at a certain rpm, and already having the throttle slightly depressed, etc..). Whilst it's a real pain in the butt to sit in traffic and have that delay, you learn to use the effective power band much better.

Installing the Typhoon intake improves this slightly but ultimately, you need to learn to overcome it by just changing your driving style.

denot
15-02-2008, 09:30 AM
ya, me have problem with this "delay" at the first few months as well. it seems that no matter how hard (and sudden) i press the accell from a full stop condition, it has 1/2 sec delay to move the car... and I did ask this on my 1st and 2nd service with Honda, they said it was purposely build like that for safety reason. might need to wait for a few more months till i can install the typhoon on my FD2 to test if this can improve it.

oniononline
15-02-2008, 10:46 AM
yeah, same delay problem here too with vti-l, so crap for heel/toe manual rev match, so difficult to get it right ...

FallenAngel
15-02-2008, 11:12 AM
Its just all practise man, took me abit but u'll eventually get it right.

JaCe
15-02-2008, 12:45 PM
besides it's good technique to lightly accelerate and THEN floor it. flooring it from standstill will always do nothing in this car.

EuroDude
15-02-2008, 05:17 PM
besides it's good technique to lightly accelerate and THEN floor it. flooring it from standstill will always do nothing in this car.

Yeah true, if you push down lightly then accelerate quicker, there is no delay, and you get about the same power.

The delay is a safety 'feature' for n00bs who pull into a parking spot and accidentially push the Accelerator to brake and fly off into the shops/houses, instead of using the Brakes to brake lool

Bludger
15-02-2008, 05:43 PM
yeah, same delay problem here too with vti-l, so crap for heel/toe manual rev match, so difficult to get it right ...if you can't overcome it, you're n00b

practice makes perfect

so do it

Shorty
15-02-2008, 05:55 PM
fit a turbo that should solve all your problem.

FallenAngel
16-02-2008, 06:09 PM

Er majority turbo's have a lag unless u get one of the smaller ones with the right config.

JaCe
16-02-2008, 10:27 PM
I'm assuming that post was being sarcastic.

FallenAngel
17-02-2008, 02:13 PM
Guess... -_-

Double R
26-02-2008, 11:32 AM

Wow! What a good idea. So turbo lag was a conspiracy?