PDA

View Full Version : manual boost controller or just a bolt?

MikeLary
15-02-2008, 08:47 AM
Hey fellas, i was just at a tuner's shop today just asking a few questions, and it came up that u could (and he does it alot) instead of using a manual boost controller just get the right fitting bolt and run it through the top port on your wastegate, its the same thing as it applies positive pressure to the top of the gate, he did it to my waste gate as a demo and i took it for a spin and went from 7psi to 10psi....

this was done a while ago and seems fine after tune etc...

i wanted to know what u guys think?

PLEASE KEEP YOUR REPLIES CLEAN, I KNOW A FEW HONDA DRIVERS ON HERE TEND TO BE A LITTLE WEIRD WITH THEIR REPLIES.

Centurius
15-02-2008, 09:05 AM
i'm no tuner, but that sounds a little dodgy to me.
i was a little wary even using a boost tap. EBC is the way to go IMO. less chance of spikes etc

MikeLary
15-02-2008, 09:35 AM
strange that, ive seen a few people on other forums do it fine, and im never getting any spikes :/

Limbo
15-02-2008, 10:08 AM
yeah the bolt is actually what a manual boost controller is.

Its a bolt with a spring and ball in it.

If you've ever taken one apart you'll know what i mean.

Limbo
15-02-2008, 10:16 AM
this explains it better
http://www.well.com/~mosk/boost.htm

MikeLary
15-02-2008, 10:17 AM
yeah ur right ive seen one pulled apart before

Weq
18-02-2008, 11:19 AM
the bolt increases preload on the spring, thus increasing the pressure at which the spring will give way to exhaust gases. A longer bolt is good for smaller increases in boost, but you will find a limit were the bolt puts too much pressure on the spring and reduces the pistons travel to the point there the boost now spikes/creeps. It will more likely be a problem on setups were the gate is undersized for the application. This 'trick' is also known as shimming. U can put different sized washers inside the gate to acheive a similiar effect.

Manual boost controllers/ball/spring/bolt trick the gate in a different way, reducing the amount of pressure that the gate seeings by blocking the flow to the gate until the pressure point is reached.

MikeLary
18-02-2008, 11:51 AM
nicely explained thanx mate