PDA

View Full Version : Apexi VAFC

tekung89
15-02-2008, 07:36 PM
http://www.sarlinraceteam.fi/service/tuotteet/apexi/pImgLeft_electronics_vafc1.jpg

has anyone got a apexi vafc installed on their car atm. wat are the benefits from having one of theses running along with ur stock ecu. i have read that with the right settings, better fuel economy can be achieved, does this vafc provide more just this?

Sexc86
15-02-2008, 07:52 PM
mate we had one on our gen 5 vtir lude. it was awsome.. looks great, when ivan tuned it... deffinately performed better, also i found the whole sound of the engine alot different (in a better way!)

But i would go the AFC neo now over the VAFC II.. just a shame you can only tune fuel mixtures and not ignition timeing with this

dudeling7
15-02-2008, 08:06 PM
i got an SAFC in my car and made like an extra 5kw when tuning it...its alright forthe price and looks cool lol.

but yeh my fuel economy is awesome get around 550-580km outta a tank in a teg (using no AC) i think thats awesome :)

plues the car just runs a whole lot better as it was rather rich before.

tekung89
15-02-2008, 08:25 PM
jus wondering guys, hows installing the vafc like? lol im planning to give it a shot once it gets here.

dudeling7
15-02-2008, 09:38 PM
pretty easy man, i jsut printed out an ecu pinout you can get them from like honda-tech.com and it lists everything.

took about 15 mins splicing into the ecu wires and tapping the vafc wires into the right outputs. jsut make sure ur battery is off. then follow the startup instructions if you have the book. make sure you also erase the memory that is previously on the unit andyou go through the right start-up procedures.

AKmotorworks
17-02-2008, 01:08 AM
vafc is one of the best tuning tools for the basic i/h/e tuning. Its a simple installation and 1-2 hrs of dyno tuning time at best.

Sex86, your incorrect in that it tunes only af, let me clarify, the vafc is more a tuning tool that works on percentages of your map. Inadvertantly when you change the AF, your also changing the timing :)

Sexc86
17-02-2008, 03:33 AM
Andy... could you explain please why you cant use the VAFC to manage a turbo setup on a honda engine properly... as apposed to a greddy emanage?

not trying to be a smart ass... really just genuninely interested?

im saying that you cannot directly controll ignition timeing ... where as your are saying you can... but its just a bi-product of changeing your A/F mixtures

regards lyle

AKmotorworks
17-02-2008, 03:39 PM
Ok re vafc tuning a turbo engine, there are a few problems to this. Ill only go into the main one, the map sensor on a factory ecu cannot see boost. If it does, it will throw a yellow check engine error. This is also the same problem alot of emanage owners who try to diy install run into, they do not understand the functions of the emanage. The honda ecu cannot see boost, if it does, u will get a check error.

You are correct in that u cannot seperately control ign timing, it is what i said, by changing the af you ask the ecu for the timng value of that af. So yes its a bi product of the af changes. This is also another limit to tuning turbos, since the NA map does not suit the turbo at certain AF's.

tekung89
17-02-2008, 03:53 PM
i think i understand AKmotorworks. because we are bypassing the mapsensor for turbo setup honda so that the ecu doesnt throw us an engine check light, this means the ecu still reads and puts out stock AF? and if u connect the apexi vafc it will only see stock readings? compared to NA hondas which the mapsensor is not tricked in anyway and can read correct readings which then the apexi can be used to do basic tuning.

if this is the case, an apexi vafc installed on a turbo setup is useless? or can it still be used?

AKmotorworks
17-02-2008, 11:15 PM
No, your confused. The map sensor sees boost with a vafc, there is nothing you can do about that except with dodgy american "hacks".

If you can afford a turbo, you can afford to get a proper computer. The VAFC is not turbo computer stuff. The emanage is, because it has a function you can use to stop the map sensor seeing boost.

Andy

tekung89
17-02-2008, 11:30 PM
ohh my bad, i get ya now

joek
03-03-2008, 08:53 PM
To add, from personal experience (myself and my friend) people should get some proper technican to tune their vafc coz otherwise the oem ECU will be sort of being messed up, and the vtec won't be able to kick in after u remove the vtec controller.
At first, i thought the car wasnt warm enough for the v-tec. but after one week no v-tec life and then put the vafc back, the v-tec works again. then i tried the car with a spoon ecu, the car works fine as well.....
Joe

AKmotorworks
03-03-2008, 09:34 PM
what are you saying? when u removed the VAFC and your vtec didnt work? But when u reinstalled it, it worked?

joek
03-03-2008, 09:41 PM
yeah.. it happened to my car and my housemate's car before. But according to my research, it only happened to a few of the other v-tec owners, not all of them. By the way, got the engine today, cheers mate

AKmotorworks
03-03-2008, 09:44 PM
the problem would have been something else when the vafc was removed in that case :)

No probs mate

vincikwan
24-03-2008, 06:12 PM
VAFC is good if u plan on doing minor mods...i got 5kw gain after tune...

beeza
24-03-2008, 06:17 PM
Did it run a lot smoother?

vincikwan
24-03-2008, 06:21 PM
yeah...the stock tuning was alittle rough.

beeza
24-03-2008, 06:24 PM
I got the MSD ignition system which really smoothed it out,just wondering if it's worth the dollars...I can't run Hondata or chrome because my car is an automatic.
With the unit and tuning,$1000?

tekung89
24-03-2008, 07:28 PM
i thought this thread died long ago lol anyways well after starting this i might as well let u guys know how the vafc went for me.
im getting more fuel economy about 500km on average give or take 50km depending on which way i go (thrash or baby it). its not tuned by any pro but by following the indication of a a/f gauge it gives me a rough idea of wen to add or take petrol. its currently running quite well and if u worried about running rich or lean jus get a a/f gauge, or ask a mate to drive behind u to see if ur running rich lol, there might be more to it but its a cheap way to go if u dnt have the budget for the other emanagement

vincikwan
24-03-2008, 08:00 PM
Hey guys, if i disconnected my battery, will the vafc settings be reset?

Vtecyo
11-05-2009, 08:09 PM
good question!

B18cEG
11-05-2009, 08:30 PM
hey, im 99% sure it stores its memory, as for the vtec not working issue over a year ago lol, when the vafc is installed you actually cut the vtec wire (also sensor wired) so when removed if not connected back 100% and soldered you may run into the no vtec problem, also oil levels is an obvious one

Vtecyo
11-05-2009, 08:53 PM
thanks for the fast reply B18cEG :)
I was gonna make a new thread like a gaybo but hopfully i cant get some more confimations here.

My mate has a ApexiNeo in his teg (got it tuned at HiPowerRacing here in Brisbane) and he recons that after he disconected his battery ( to install some speakers) the controller reset and lots his tune....

Im considering buying it off him. Ive had a play with it and it seems fine... However i dont want the same thing to happen to me...After paying for a good dyno tune.
Anyone had this happen to them? Herd of it ? would it save it and you simply apply it again?

Also 1 other question. Do u know if you can make differnt 'profiles'. Say one for daily and one for track. See i would take my silencer out of my exhuast system for the track and ofc would like my car tuned to runn well with it out...

Thanks in advance :)

VTec1987
11-05-2009, 08:55 PM
Hey guys, if i disconnected my battery, will the vafc settings be reset?

no it won't lose the settings

only way to reset the settings is to initialise on the vafc2

tekung89
12-05-2009, 11:50 AM
not calling ur frienda liar but the neo keeps the info unless u go to the function to reset everything to default "initialise" is usually it.

and it is possible to have 2 settings, one for daily and the other with a tune which can be engaged from daily setup to tune by % throttle which can be manually set by urself. kind of pointless to be honest but its possible.

vtec wire is cut during the installation of the neo in order for u to set ur vtec engagement point

Vtecyo
12-05-2009, 10:13 PM
Cheers guys. I don’t 100% believe my mate either. He has talked some shit in the past :P

Its just I’m looking to buy his unit off him and i hope it behaves its self for me...
Nothing worse then paying the cash and the getting a faulty items...

I wounder if his tune is still in there....

tekung89
13-05-2009, 05:26 PM
lol to enhance the value u can say 'its been tuned' but yer buy mine =D $400

Vtecyo
13-05-2009, 08:21 PM
true.
^^ sorry bro. Ive cleaned you out as much as im going 2 ( i think xD). Hows my stocko lights looken? :)

BTW ive decided to hold off on the Tune atm. got some big bills to pay coming up :(

YBJLS4
09-02-2010, 10:16 PM
anyone know who can tune this or where there are guidelines somewhere for diff setups?