PDA

View Full Version : EK4 suspension setup

alphabeatsco
26-08-2004, 06:34 PM
i want to ask which is better...

1. new springs with new shocks

2. coilovers

please consider the fact..im realli poor..hahaha so which works out cheaper.

i just want a good drop with my 16s and not to rub the guards.

please mention which brands would be good. :)

rAySiR
26-08-2004, 07:18 PM
do u want jus lower stance or...!?!??!
cause if u want jus to make the car lower... just get springs... king springs around $400 for 4...

soon2b300hp
26-08-2004, 07:49 PM
i have king coil overs from fulcrum

entry level coilovers... the car handles really well with 17s i can lower the back down to the rim...the front i can make the stock front bar tocuh the ground...these will set u back $2k plus fitting...

better than just springs...the ride is firm not ruff

soon2b300hp
26-08-2004, 07:51 PM
or be a dumbo ride on jumboz...

jumboz at moorebank in nsw if your in this state

they will make custom springs

alphabeatsco
26-08-2004, 08:21 PM
but i heard someone telling me...springs will lower the car..but if u were gonna use stock shocks..it's not gonna last long
that's why i dunno wat to do..i wont have enough money for the coilovers.

soon2b300hp
26-08-2004, 08:27 PM
well i was told
(mind u this for my cxi at the time) that any lower than 2 1/2 inches u should replace the shocks... i got it 4 at the rear and 3 1/2 at the front... i had no shock travell in the rear... ur right it depends on ur budget... u just wanna cruize or do u wanna trash it through corners... well it will cost at least $400 correct me if im worng for lowered springs installed and wheel alighnment(i though it could get away with out doing and munched a two tyres in about a month and a half)

how low do u wanna go... say u put 16s where do u want the gaurd to sit?

SPEEDCORE
26-08-2004, 08:53 PM
Dude I understand that sometimes money is tough to come by......

I personally would not worry about suspension and aim at improving other aspects of the EK4 ATM........

Do you track the car at all or plan to do a fair amount of track work in the near future??

Also what are the mods you have done so far?

To put things into perspective.... I track my G/Fs EK4 quite often and from circuit racing to daily driving with the stock 7 year old suspension..... it was VERY competant on the track....... people actually where skeptical at the times I was getting with it....

What I'm trying to get at is... if you eventually want to hit the track quite frequently, (which you should be with a nice car such as the EK4), and are more so concerned ATM with getting better handeling..... just save your money do other mods that don't cost an arm and a leg like your intakes and such........ then when the time comes that you have hit the bottleneck in handling performance..... go for the really nice suspension that you need and progress your driving skills from there.

Notice I said "nice suspension that you NEED", not want....... like some people have already pointed out.... if you just want to lower the car no point going coilovers........

All really depends what you want to acheive with the car........

Soz for the novel...... I'm just passionate about EK4s and circuit racing.
:)

alphabeatsco
26-08-2004, 09:35 PM
well i guess money is realli important to me at the moment..so i wont be going for tracks.

i just wanna lower the car so it looks good.

i will be getting 16*7...

i want the wheel and guard leaving no space or minimal space..so it doesnt look like theres a big gap.

but i also dont want it to scratch the guards, as some ppl say it will scratch when too lowered.

please advice me of this and also will the stock shocks be fine? or im not gonna race this car...

luzinit
27-08-2004, 02:22 AM
hey ABC (i cbfed typing ur nick man ahaha).. my car has 16x7. the front is lowered 60mm, the rear 50mm. the front wheel has pretty much 1/2 finger gap, the rear about 2 finger gap.

often when i take hard corners, my rim slightly hits the guard or the plastic lining! so if ur gonna do it for track, dun lower it too much !

if ur just want a good drop, maybe some eibach sportline springs about 550rrp, or jdm kg/mm springs about 500-600 i think from one of the traders on the forum, or something liek whiteline flatouts, about 300 for a set of 4.

btw: speedcore, u seem like another avid EK4 fan like myself!!! show us some pics of ur gf's EK dude ! !!

SPEEDCORE
27-08-2004, 08:54 AM
I'll see what I can do...

Perry
27-08-2004, 03:28 PM
i had my springs from "jumboz" in moorebank i drop 2.5 at the front and 3 at the back when i had my 17's on. Now i use 15's and the stock shocks lasted 4 years but my car is a EK1 =) so dont know if there's any different between the Ek1 and EK4 suspension???

alphabeatsco
28-08-2004, 01:43 PM
do u think it'll be oright if i chuck in the 16s and leave the suspension?
would it be real high?
anyone got a pic would help ..thanks

SPEEDCORE
28-08-2004, 06:44 PM
Depends dude... do you consider the car to be riding quite high ATM with the 15s?

If so, with 16s you might have nightmares of monster trucks! ;)

Seriously though..... from what you have told us... you are probably better going off with some springs to start off with.... then when your shocks blow.... just replace them with ones that will handle the springs and lowered ride height.

This is just my personal view though dude...... NEVER EVER take my word as gospel!!
:)

luzinit
28-08-2004, 10:03 PM
abc, with 16's on stock sussy, assuming ur running 205/45 tyres, it is exactly same height as running 15's with 195/55 tyres.....

Perry
30-08-2004, 11:44 AM
hey dude are you planning to get coilovers lata on?

William
31-08-2004, 02:02 PM
i have the same dilemma.... money that is heheaheha

well i plan to track but then im stock....was about to buy my friends 16" wheels and i dont want to get wheels and then not lower it with springs and stuff ...money problems...so im just going to stay stock and see how track goes first.