PDA

View Full Version : Cv Joint!

melloy_honda
15-02-2008, 11:35 PM
I've been getting some shaking in my steering when i hit 80-100kph and only when i'm on the gas. I thought it was just a wheel balance, but it turns out it's either the CV Joint or the clutch! Does this sound right???

Does anyone know what my wallet is up for?

Drew
15-02-2008, 11:46 PM
So it doesn't sound right...

There is no way a clutch is going to cause s/wheel shudder

My money would be on deformed brake disks or tire be it deformed or flat spotted which is unlikely if the car has ABS

Again a CV joint is really unlikely...

rayb3na_
16-02-2008, 12:11 AM
might be a long shot but is ur wheel tightened on properly?

assailant
16-02-2008, 12:22 AM
the general test for cv joints is to do tightest turning circles possible (at low speed obviously) in both directions.

usually if the cv is on its way out you will hear knocking noises or the like.

melloy_honda
16-02-2008, 12:34 AM
So it doesn't sound right...

There is no way a clutch is going to cause s/wheel shudder

My money would be on deformed brake disks or tire be it deformed or flat spotted which is unlikely if the car has ABS

Again a CV joint is really unlikely...

It only happens when the car is underpower...
I just had the tyres rotated and balanced, so there not the issue... What the mech was saying was the inner joint might be damaged and is moving of balance... I just put on new break pads and they never mentioned anything about the disks.

melloy_honda
16-02-2008, 12:35 AM
might be a long shot but is ur wheel tightened on properly?

All on tight, and balanced, and fairly new tyres...

JohnL
16-02-2008, 12:34 PM
the general test for cv joints is to do tightest turning circles possible (at low speed obviously) in both directions.
usually if the cv is on its way out you will hear knocking noises or the like.

I once checked out a car my sister in law was intending to buy. It passed the usual 'turning a tight circle both ways' test with flying colours (and all other tests etc), and she bought the car. On her drive home up the coast from Sydney, as soon a she hit 100kmh on the expressway the car started to vibrate badly, which turned out to be a bad CV joint...

EuroDude
17-02-2008, 11:34 AM
Perhaps a wheel bearing is damaged?

How wide are your rims? If they are very wide, they may be putting too much stress on the bearings/cvjoints

HondaTechy
17-02-2008, 11:39 AM
Sounds like the inner cv joints,have you lowered your car?the clutch wount make a vibration like that.normaly you can see wear marks in the joint when you remove and dismantle them.just get a couple of exchange shafts and it will be all good.

melloy_honda
18-02-2008, 09:08 AM
I once checked out a car my sister in law was intending to buy. It passed the usual 'turning a tight circle both ways' test with flying colours (and all other tests etc), and she bought the car. On her drive home up the coast from Sydney, as soon a she hit 100kmh on the expressway the car started to vibrate badly, which turned out to be a bad CV joint...

Yeah, did the same check and not a creek/noise at all. So looks like its a CV joint. Does anyone know how much it'll cost roughly... and lucky i did get that extended warrenty!

DLRioM
18-02-2008, 11:29 AM
Yeah, did the same check and not a creek/noise at all. So looks like its a CV joint. Does anyone know how much it'll cost roughly... and lucky i did get that extended warrenty!

To be honest i dont think ur warranty will cover it if u have lowered the car or have larger rims..... because you have altered the cars performance and the CV joint is the victim of this alteration i dont like ur chances. Good luck tho.

On my last car the steering was perfect when i bought it. I put bodgy 17s on and it became a nightmare...... Steering got to the point it shook as low as 60kms. It had to do with the joints and brushes. I also had warped discs so it shook voilently whilst braking. Traded it in before it killed me.

melloy_honda
18-02-2008, 11:52 AM
To be honest i dont think ur warranty will cover it if u have lowered the car or have larger rims..... because you have altered the cars performance and the CV joint is the victim of this alteration i dont like ur chances. Good luck tho.

On my last car the steering was perfect when i bought it. I put bodgy 17s on and it became a nightmare...... Steering got to the point it shook as low as 60kms. It had to do with the joints and brushes. I also had warped discs so it shook voilently whilst braking. Traded it in before it killed me.

I've only put 17's on it and haven't touched the suspension. I've still got the orginal wheels so i could always slip them on prior to making the claim... :p

DLRioM
18-02-2008, 12:12 PM
I would say its worth the effort changing the wheels b4 you take it in for them to have a look at. As the euro comes with 17s it shouldnt be an issue anyway but i wouldnt risk it. They could still argue the wheels are inferior or do not match the original measurements like width or something.

i know how u feel......a shakey steering wheel is one of the worst driving experiences and its only going to get worse if u leave it.

aaronng
18-02-2008, 12:46 PM
Someone at the TSX forums had a similar problem. Turns out one of the front driveshaft was slightly out. He changed it and car was fine again. So get it covered under warranty.

http://tsx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38735&page=3&pp=25&highlight=wheel+vibration

melloy_honda
18-02-2008, 01:32 PM
UPDATE!!!

I've taken it down to CV Joint center and they had a look at it on the hoist, turns out that the pinon had slidden out by 2-3mm so they knocked it back in. Seems not to be nearly as shakey as it was.

UPDATE!!

Unlucky for me this didn't fix the problem, so it looks like its off with the CV's and on with some new ones! Darn!

BraXta
13-03-2008, 06:14 PM
ive got the same vibration and guess what it happens when i hit 80 - 110... and guess what else i also got new brake pads...

i got Project mu front and rear pads

I think its the rear pad thats causing it cause it started after i got the pads
I dont think the CVs are going ... they are known by a loud knocking noise while turning .. trust me ive had them go on a car before..

Im gettin my brakes looked at again and i bet its that ... maybe the disc needs machining when new pad is added

melloy_honda
14-03-2008, 08:27 AM
Hey all,
Well it was deffinately the inner cv on the right side that was worn, they replaced it and now it drives as smooth as the day i got it. AWN extended warrenty picked up the bill too. So ALL good!

melloy_honda
14-03-2008, 08:30 AM
ive got the same vibration and guess what it happens when i hit 80 - 110... and guess what else i also got new brake pads...

i got Project mu front and rear pads

I think its the rear pad thats causing it cause it started after i got the pads
I dont think the CVs are going ... they are known by a loud knocking noise while turning .. trust me ive had them go on a car before..

Im gettin my brakes looked at again and i bet its that ... maybe the disc needs machining when new pad is added

I sounds like the same problem i had, the inner CV doesn't make a knocking noise when you turn the wheel. I think it was $180ish for the inner CV, but as i said the warrenty people picked up the bill.

BraXta
17-03-2008, 10:14 PM
ahhh ok then... ill give it a shot ill goto my mechanic first to see what he sez then if it is ill goto honda =D