PDA

View Full Version : G3 VTir Thermostat

g3vtir
26-08-2004, 08:38 PM
I have searched for this topic and only got one result and it didnt answer my question.

My car when driving the temp gauge goes almost to C. When at idle it goes to about 40% of the way up. I have heard that the thermostat could be stuck open, and if this is the case it means that VTEC wont engage because it thinks its still cold. Is this true?

pkn-xtc
26-08-2004, 09:35 PM
no, thats not true.
if the thermostat was stuck open, then it would just take ur car longer to reach optimum operating temp from a cold start.
the thermostat doesnt affect the temp sensors, it just blocks the flow of coolant into ur engine when cold to assist it in warming up quicker.

g3vtir
26-08-2004, 09:45 PM
Thanks for that..makes me feel better..im just starting to worry coz i have just bought this integra about a month ago so i just want everything to work. Well VTEC anyways...hehee

Ironfist
27-08-2004, 01:31 AM
Yeah when i bought my car my thermo said i was running near really cold as well. To fix this problem just tell the ppl when you next service the car about it. I think in my case i just had to get a new thermo cos it wasn't reading properly.

g3vtir
30-08-2004, 06:30 AM
Ok On Saturday i took it to the mechanics and they had a look at my thermostat. They said that there was nothing wrong with it. And i trust them coz its Hanny's. hehe

anyways on the way to work this morning on the M4 freeway it sat on almost cold all the way until i exited on Homebush Bay drive. Is there anything else that could be wrong with it? Could there be a sensor problem that is telling the thermostat to open all the time?

What controls the opening and closing of the thermostat? is there a temperature sensor or something?