PDA

View Full Version : possible low 13 sec EG with b16a?

iwantvtec
17-02-2008, 12:22 AM
yer jus was interested what mods/build would you guys go just to get that 13sec quickness....

magicmike
17-02-2008, 12:27 AM
i would just put a b18cr :p

or for an even quicker pass, a k20 :p

iwantvtec
17-02-2008, 12:30 AM
lol me hav no money i barely have enough for my conversion.

magicmike
17-02-2008, 12:34 AM
It would most likely cost more building the b16 up to getting a time like that, than getting a b18c installed into the car

d15z1SUX
17-02-2008, 12:41 AM
if you stripped your eg and went all out on the b16 then i guess so...

fatboyz39
17-02-2008, 01:03 AM
hmmmm can be done. Need around 120-130 kw, good gearing, weight reductions, slicks, good driver. Should be able to get there.

stock b16a wont' get you very far. You'll need some serious mods to the b16a to get into 13's let alone low 13's.

Our b16a EG did a 13.9. max ET imo in that setup around 13.5-13.7.

EG5
17-02-2008, 09:34 AM
Paul's EGB16A old EG hatch ran 13.6 ( 110kw@wheel - Toda Au Dyno )

Also Fatboyz EG is running quick aswell.

As Fatboyz said , power to weight , suspension set up , gearing , driver , slicks is the key for this.

iwantvtec
17-02-2008, 10:01 AM
yah yah, lol how fast u rkn a stock eg, stock gear box etc. with a b16a be? round high 14's?

Zilli
17-02-2008, 10:03 AM
no...

iwantvtec
17-02-2008, 10:19 AM
lol well im aiming for just 14's-15's atm with mine, i got full exhaust, n a heavy duty clutch..

fatboyz39
17-02-2008, 12:44 PM
stock b16a in EG high 14's low 15's.

iijjee
20-02-2008, 10:02 PM
I'll be takin' my EG B16A with I/H/E a few ECU tweaks 205/40/16 Toyos (cheapies!) and no passenger seat down the quarter at W'bank tomorrow night if anyone wants to give me some Honda company.

Hoping to break into the 14's. Will let u know!

iijjee

Sexc86
20-02-2008, 11:09 PM
boost your b16 with a quality basic turbo kit... should see low 13s for sure..

iijjee
21-02-2008, 09:23 AM
Hey I'd love a turbo kit! But your know any decent 4 cyl. with a decent turbo can run a 13! How many NA 4 cyl. can run a 14? When I pull away from my mate's BA XR8 Ute (260+kW) at the lights in my NA Civic, it's quite a satifying thing! Honda has its reputation for engines for this very reason.

Turbos are awesome! I have owned a few and currently have a 240+kW turbo Stagea which would take my civic down the 400, but I know which one gives the bigger grin...!

If I had the $$$, I'd K20 it before turboing - no competition!

Sexc86
21-02-2008, 12:10 PM
are you after the "wow look what i can do" factor or the "value" factor... That seems to be the question.

iijjee
21-02-2008, 02:57 PM
If you ask Honda.... simple answer! Achievement before Easy Option!!!

:)

Sexc86
21-02-2008, 03:50 PM
Yes well.. the thred is asking is it possible to make EG b16 do low 13s...

NA = Slicks, hardcore weight reduction, A full NA internal build (cams, valve train, Pnp, High comp pistons etc etc) + all quality bolt ons.. not to mention ability to put the power to the ground (gearing + lsd) and suspension setup well, as well as shitload of practise and good luck

Boost = most likely a Good quality bolt on turbo kit + a Decent tune

a Na b16 (keeping 1.6 displacement) build will probably cost you twice that of a boosted bseries setup

This is IMO, any feel free to disagree with me.

sendok
21-02-2008, 05:01 PM
B16 with internal build, weight reduction, handling, slicks, and good driver certainly can reach low 13sec IMO. I don't have the experience but some already proof it. And I rather stay NA with b16 and if an option for putting in turbo come, i will just think about K series :D

I love NA on Honda, but yeah I love turbo's on Nissan :D

EG5
21-02-2008, 06:34 PM
I reckon its doable on b16a EG. But how much budget do you wanna blow ?

here is an example of 11 sec B16 CRX :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7ba_LUUzx4

Sexc86
21-02-2008, 11:23 PM
Anything is doable... just depends how much money you want to throw at it... But then comes in the value factor (a different path could get you there cheaper).. If your just specifically chaseing 1/4 times

Drew
22-02-2008, 09:04 AM
You will struggle to get even into the high 14's in an EG

Stripped EF8 will get you into 14.7/8 with a decent set of tires

You could go extreme on the stripping and remove all the AC/Condenser/Fan assembly from under the dash; much more than that you would have to start cutting the car up but that will make it redundant for street

Theres an EG in New Zealand that runs a K series with honda internals and ITB's that pulls 11s with a cut up chassis

http://speedfactor.co.nz/images/gallery03.jpg
http://speedfactor.co.nz/images/05gallery1.jpg

Benson
22-02-2008, 09:58 AM
You will struggle to get even into the high 14's in an EG

???? Sure about that mate? We did 13.9 on DOT approved street semi slicks. These are not even on drag radials yet. With slicks, 13.5 is very achievable.

Our car still have all the required accessories to make it a legal street car. only the P/s and a/c been removed. Heater core is still there for winter comfort;)

Drew
22-02-2008, 12:07 PM
But whats been done to the motor?

Benson
22-02-2008, 12:24 PM
CTR cast pistons, arp rod bolts, b18c head with ITR cams with valve springs to suit the 9200rpm rev limiter. Then the usual bolt-ons I/h/e plus euc and tune. Simple mods nothing to dramatic.

Drew
22-02-2008, 04:01 PM
So not a stock EG then...

TECBOY
22-02-2008, 07:33 PM
sigh........

iijjee
22-02-2008, 07:56 PM
Out last night for first time with this car...

Not real happy... but a track is a tricky prospect for any green blat jockey like me! Could do a 0-150km/h run 20 times in row without missing a gear on the street, but with helmet on, heater on, windows up, 11 second chevy in next lane, two incorrectly pressured tyres and a very sticky track, I had 1 clean run out of 4 and it was a careful one just to make sure I didn't mess it up with my last run of the night...!

Quoting 60 ft... ET..... MPH

Run 1 - 2.51 15.459 91.61 (Axel tramp then bog then clutch it and go)
Run 2 - 2.58 15.451 83.71 (Too much wheelspin - missed 4th - coast)
Run 3 - 2.32 15.534 90.33 (good start - missed 2nd twice)
Run 4 - 2.39 15.260 91.28 (Careful start - slow changes - clean run!)

Next time - lighter rims (14's not 16's!), less fuel (3/4 full!), 30 psi (had 22 in one and 28 in the other - not at dodgy servo one outside track next time)

Saw an EG B18C - owner japanese, didn't want to chat 0EG06 plate... having real trouble with shifts and grip also... low 14's at best I think.

Guy in Accord Euro with new Hondata and more revs doing 15.3's...

Guy in RX7 doing 9.02!

Mate's Volvo with RB30 did 13.54!!!

Millions of V8 holdens with cams and stuff and fords sixes with turbos!!!

A fun night but harder than I had remembered

Benson
22-02-2008, 09:42 PM
So not a stock EG then...
Umm yeh of course its not stock. Do you expect a stock motor to do low 13's? Your dreaming mate!! Even K20's can do low 13's without the need of the bolt-ons and K-pro.

55EXX
22-02-2008, 09:53 PM
Saw an EG B18C - owner japanese, didn't want to chat 0EG06 plate... having real trouble with shifts and grip also... low 14's at best I think.

what colour is it?

Sexc86
23-02-2008, 06:48 PM
i believe he is talking about the blue 0EG60... see it getting around at ivans workshop

good effort though IIJJEE... with 1/4 really its practise makes perfect.

I remember my first runs i was crapping my pants with nerves doing high 15s, and now im down to low/mid 14s @ 100MPH with unchanged setup. Getting the "hang" of it really improves your times :)

VTi_b0i
23-02-2008, 07:13 PM
Could do a 0-150km/h run 20 times in row without missing a gear on the street, but with helmet on, heater on, windows up, 11 second chevy in next lane, two incorrectly pressured tyres and a very sticky track

HAHA exactly the same as me :p
Ive taken my EG sedan with B18c with few bolt on goodies down to race once...
I had all those problems too + a petrol tank full to the brim and 2x12 subs in the boot...fcuked everyone of my launches and best i could do is a 15.2 @97mph :(

iijjee
23-02-2008, 09:28 PM
Yeah that's the no. plate... He wasn't in the mood for some idle chitchat! I was just sifting thru the HSV/CAPA/Falcodore crowd looking for some NA or Honda brightness!!!

Yeah it's blue with lots of genuine Mugen carbon fibre stuff, full cage, stripped rear interior brides (from memory) and looks the biz...

He said, b4 his first run, that he had previously run a 13.8 but after some changes was hoping to run a 12... Saw him racing around in the carpark just after they announced the lanes were about to close practicing his 1/2 shift and racing up and down ... You could see the steam coming out of his ears almost!

I don't know if anyone else with NA stockish cars has ever felt this way but it's like, in the back of my mind, I'm absolutely terrified of having those revs drop below 5500... I think it should be called VTEC Separation Anxiety Syndrome, or V-SAS!

Anyway, I will probable take the Tiptronic RWD Stagea down the strip next time. Press throttle to the floor, wait for boost and hold on... Should be less brain wearying... will see if the RSM lies!

iijjee

sendok
24-02-2008, 01:06 AM
Yeah that's the no. plate... He wasn't in the mood for some idle chitchat! I was just sifting thru the HSV/CAPA/Falcodore crowd looking for some NA or Honda brightness!!!

Yeah it's blue with lots of genuine Mugen carbon fibre stuff, full cage, stripped rear interior brides (from memory) and looks the biz...

He said, b4 his first run, that he had previously run a 13.8 but after some changes was hoping to run a 12... Saw him racing around in the carpark just after they announced the lanes were about to close practicing his 1/2 shift and racing up and down ... You could see the steam coming out of his ears almost!

I don't know if anyone else with NA stockish cars has ever felt this way but it's like, in the back of my mind, I'm absolutely terrified of having those revs drop below 5500... I think it should be called VTEC Separation Anxiety Syndrome, or V-SAS!

Anyway, I will probable take the Tiptronic RWD Stagea down the strip next time. Press throttle to the floor, wait for boost and hold on... Should be less brain wearying... will see if the RSM lies!

iijjee

Good for you enjoying the day man.. anyway, is your stagea with white colour and probs you workin in chadstone area? or sorry if am mistaken :D

iijjee
24-02-2008, 07:49 PM
Nope... Willowbank is in SE Qld!

Silver RS V (RWD 120kg lighter - 297 rwhp!)

bennjamin
25-02-2008, 09:58 PM
Umm yeh of course its not stock. Do you expect a stock motor to do low 13's? Your dreaming mate!! Even K20's can do low 13's without the need of the bolt-ons and K-pro.

Totally agree. Just as an example , a eg with a b18c7 which is "stock" (IE no engine modifications) should be hitting high 13's. No way a b16 in the same car is hitting low 13's :)

But to keep this thread on topic....

YES it is possible low 13 second 1/4 mile , with the right combo of modifications / tuning / tyres / weight reduction and DRIVER :thumbsup:

Sexc86
25-02-2008, 10:04 PM
Also i think 30psi in the tyres is just too hard... it will just spin too easy... you want more flex in the side wall... more spungy... IMO 20psi (depending on rim size) would be the go

bennjamin
25-02-2008, 10:06 PM
20psi or lower - improves 60ft thus 1/4 too.

Its to increase the contact patch onto the ground :)

Sexc86
25-02-2008, 10:34 PM
Also remember.... you dont HAVE do launch as soon as lights go green....
Usually when im next to some "**** off" noisy v8.... i just let him go, wait 5 sec or so untill he gets down the track... then i can hear and feel everything perfectly and really concentrate on my launch.

You time only starts when you move off the line.

fatboyz39
26-02-2008, 07:43 AM
Doesn't anybody in Australia ever go to the strip to RACE anybody. It's called a drag RACE not a drag time trial or drag PB.;)

true....everytime we head out we try to race with the lights no matter who we up against. We were once racing for best PB, but racing against the light is so much more fun :thumbsup:.

iijjee
26-02-2008, 08:54 AM
Also remember.... you dont HAVE do launch as soon as lights go green....
Usually when im next to some "**** off" noisy v8.... i just let him go, wait 5 sec or so untill he gets down the track... then i can hear and feel everything perfectly and really concentrate on my launch.

You time only starts when you move off the line.

Yeah, all my reaction times were over 2 secs for that reason... I agree, if I were prepping for some event I would be well advised to 'work the tree' but it's only ever going to be a fun, once-in-a-blue-moon event for me - what'llshedo???

When you're learning, it can be very difficult to get a good launch when your cars engine sounds silent next to these other monsters!!!

Sexc86
26-02-2008, 02:22 PM
And if you launch after 5 seconds and never practice your starts you condition your body and brain that starts are not important and you will loose every time you race FOR REAL. If you want good results practice your tree work EVERY TIME you get to the line.

Just like they say you get a timeslip even if you wait 5 sec you ALSO still get one if you happen to redlight so you can bump the red every once in awhile to see if you are close or not.

And besides that it's unsafe and delays other drivers when you dally on the start line worried about your PB and helps prevent other drivers from possibly getting an extra time trial because you WASTED the line officials TIME.

Doesn't anybody in Australia ever go to the strip to RACE anybody. It's called a drag RACE not a drag time trial or drag PB.;)

I really dont think anyone cares if you wait a few seconds before launch .. nor do i see how it can effect anyones safety... fair enough if some shitbox brakes down on the line and oil goes everywhere... causeing a big delay...

I deffinately go to the stip to race.. but when i come up against a 11sec dunnydoor (in my 14sec car) thats makeing so much noise i cant think.. i dont really care about trying to race it... im more concentrateing on my PB's

I do agree its a good idea to learn the tree though.. as if you actually compete in a comp (jambo) its the 1 aspect where your timeing is crutial.

back ontopic - yes i htink a eg b16 is capable of a low 13 (with lots of work, money and practise)

Sexc86
26-02-2008, 06:10 PM
fair enough all time add ups but really is a very small amount of time compared to the time usually the track is open.. and the amount of cars that go... even when its full house..

And i dont understand how if a 11sec car launches First... that a 14sec car can catch up after its launched 5sec later? (which is the example i was giving).. there is alwayes risk with drag raceing ... even in perfectly controlled conditions.. hence why you sign your life away before you race. You could have 2 15sec cars raceing together.. launching together and still end up with a fatality, lots of other things can go wrong to worry about launching together.

And sorry to say, Yes i own a street car, Yes it doesnt do super fast times, Yes im not a profession but that doesnt go to say im a nooB either. And yes big ass noisy cars next to me (that dont allow me to hear my car) does effect my lauches... and obviously others. And yes i go to the 1/4 to Race my own Pb's (as most people IMHO) and not necesselary other cars that are clearly way faster.

This is getting a bit off topic, nothing personal claymore.. feel free to PM me if you want to discuss this further