PDA

View Full Version : breakin her in

EUR.09N
26-08-2004, 10:31 PM
jus wonderin how many k's it takes till the euro is broken in? i jus got the euro a month ago and it had its first 1000km service, should i still drive it like a baby?

Rowie
26-08-2004, 10:37 PM
breaking in a car is a personal thing, and people have many many different opinions.

My opinion for breaking in a car is to definitly not drive it like a baby 'all the time' and like to mix some hard driving with conventional driving. Some people even have the opinion of the best place to break in a car is at the race track.

I have always been of the opinion that if you drive the car like a baby when you break her in, then expect the car to perform like a baby in later driving.

Just my opinion :D

EUR.09N
26-08-2004, 10:49 PM
hmmm might giv it a try i also heard that driving a long distance breaks in the car.
cant wait to hit the i-vtec

Archangel
28-08-2004, 01:12 AM
Might be of some use to you.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Im sure its been posted here before, but i've seen it on a few other forums as well. :)

Im currently still breaking-in my car as well. So far I've only done only about 200k's in my Euro (Distance not speed!). On the whole im treating it nice, but its too easy to get up there in speed on more open roads!

h22a accord
28-08-2004, 01:50 PM
i would stop babying it and open her up, im not saying bounce the rev limiter all day long just let the engine work. and put it under load and rev it out to redline under full throttle just make sure the engine is at operating temp.

Im am of the belief that if u baby a car it will have a performance disadvantage later on.

my mates xr6 turbo was babied for about 400km then he drove it like he stole it. he then got it dynoed by the APS crew www.airpowersystems.com.au at C& V performance in waterloo and it put out 215kw at the wheels, a figure that shocked everyone as the most power they had seen previously from a stock turbo falcon was 205kw and the avg is about 180/190kw. APS have dynoed about 150 xr6 turbos so maybe it was my mates patented running in procedure or it is just a freak motor.

bigteethygrin
28-08-2004, 02:11 PM
dont they run her in b4 you rcv the car anyways?

ECU-MAN
28-08-2004, 09:12 PM
yeah Engine has been run in at the factory, I hear its full throllte for 45 seconds or so.

tanalasta
25-05-2006, 04:34 PM
yeah Engine has been run in at the factory, I hear its full throllte for 45 seconds or so.

Interesting - any verification as to whether they still do this (especially for the new Euro I'm picking up on Monday).

I've searched different threads here about this controversial topic. If what you say it's true, then there's no point using the mototune method to seal the piston rings and that the conventional method is more appropriate - drive gently for the first 1000k to get the tranny/drivetrain run in properly.

aaronng
25-05-2006, 04:41 PM
45 seconds is not enough to seal in the rings. You need load + time. I did the mototune way.

Tobster
26-05-2006, 10:55 AM
If you actually read the Euro handbook, it doesn't say not to rev the car -- it says don't accelerate hard.

It's best to vary the revs with a new engine -- one of the worst things you can do is sit on the same revs for an extended period of time.

I redlined my car within the first 50 km -- on various occasions -- but I did it gently. You don't just plant the boot. Other times I regularly took it to 5K or just revved it to different levels -- but gently.

My engine has felt great from the day I got it. I've had none of the stiffness that I've read on other posts here -- and I'm just coming up to 4000 km.

The first time I really tried to plant it (after 1000 km or so), I hit the fuel cutout because it revved so fast and clean that it caught me by surprise.

cleary
27-05-2006, 04:48 PM
I didn't know which way to go - so I picked the middle ground :P
first 1000kms regularly hit 5000rpm and a couple of times went a bit higher (by accident). Since the 1000kms are up it I hit vtec in most gears while driving (long straight open roads around here) :)

Further to h22a_accords "drive it like you stole it" comment - a friend of mine did the same thing to a factory BA xr8 except starting from the driveway of the dealership :)
No dyno figures, but the dealership were amazed at the performance, made mention of the fact that none of the fpvs coming through were even close to it.
He's currently got a my06 wrx which got the same treatment - redlined in top gear on the trip home from the dealership :)

EuroDude
27-05-2006, 06:28 PM
breaking in a car is a personal thing, and people have many many different opinions.

My opinion for breaking in a car is to definitly not drive it like a baby 'all the time' and like to mix some hard driving with conventional driving. Some people even have the opinion of the best place to break in a car is at the race track.

I have always been of the opinion that if you drive the car like a baby when you break her in, then expect the car to perform like a baby in later driving.

:thumbsup: :honda: :thumbsup:

Even though the piston rings are broken in at the factory, its still good to give it some gas in the first 1000km to ensure the piston rings have settled properly. Definetely dont baby it otherwise it wont ever reach its full potential.

In the first 3000km, I mixed driving techniques.
-Always warm it up before driving. Or keep it under 3000rpm if in a hurry.
-Drive it like a baby for the first 5 minutes driving.
-Then just drive it normally, and hit VTEC once a day, but dont redline it.

Now at 4500km the engine feel much freer and torquier, its almost as if it gains a bit more power each week :)

tknova
28-05-2006, 08:19 AM
I ran my euro in very hard with alot of load from low rpm all the way to high rpm. Allso alot of engine braking (vacumm) so all the metal flakes don't get stuck to the cylinder walls and when new and never kept the car at one speed and always moved the rpm's around. changed oil at 1,000km, 5,000km & at 10,000km switched to synthetic 5-40w motul oil changing every 10,000km's.

Quick tip is too never every let the engine sit and idle as your going to glaze the walls. Once the car has started just drive normally and don't rev it high until your oil warms up. Letting the car 'sit' and warm up is the worst thing you can do. Oil pump is pushing oil to the top end of the motor and no pressure on the rings so there going up & down and glazing your cylinder walls.

My euro has around 37,250km on it atm (going very very strong) and after my 40,000km service at honda i'll be doing my own compression test too see how the rings are. My thoughts is that they will be 100% perfect! :) (i hope)

But as the subject suggests if your breaking 'her' in just use heaps of lube and tell her the pain will ge gone in around a couple of minutes and promise her you will stop, roll over and goto sleep. :P