PDA

View Full Version : fuel pump relay

dAzLr
17-02-2008, 09:22 PM
hey im trying to wire up my fuel pump on my eg carby civic with the itr b18c in it, ive put the gli injected wiring into it but my problem is ive made a relay near the fuse box for the fuel pump 30 going to battery fused, 87 going to the fuel pump, 86 earth an 85 going to FLR (A16) on the obdiia ecu, now wen i crank it or put ign on the relay doesnt click, i put a test light on the wire coming from ecu flr (A16) an the test light is really dull like theres a weak signal now this either tells me the ecu mite be stuffed or i need a special kind of relay, atm ive just wired the fuel pump realy into ign so wen the car cranks an is in the ign position the fuel pump is running, im not sure wether the fuel pump is supposed to be runnung all the time or just wen u crank can anyone help cheers

teh_mechanic
17-02-2008, 09:50 PM
pump should be running all the time engine is running,and it should be getting power if you just turn the ignition on (engine not running)for 20 or so seconds.

Im only familiar with OBD1 pinouts (put a b16 in my eg carby),with that the FLR (Fuel Pump Relay) was A7.why have you put in a seperate relay for the fuel pump?....the ecu works as a relay for it and works fine.the wire for the FLR (from A7 for OBD1 and according to you A16 for OBD2) is green/yellow and runs down the right hand side of the car(probably got cut from the efi loom you are installing so you will probably find it cut in the driver footwell somewhere after you install your efi loom) ,simply run this wire to the pump power connector at the fuel tank then run an earth wire from the fuel pump earth connector to any good earth

dAzLr
17-02-2008, 10:53 PM
oh see i thought it needed to be run through a relay ... so your saying i dont need to run a relay cos the ecu acts as a relay for the fuel pump ??

teh_mechanic
17-02-2008, 11:05 PM
yes,i did nothing to mine but simply run the green/yellow wire to fuel pump power then give it an earth and it is fine,and this is how it works OEM,no other relay.really you could run ignition power to the pump and earth it and it will work (dont do this though),the reason it runs power from the ecu is as a safety device.say you hit a tree and crash,hopefully the engine will stall,if the ecu doesnt get a spark signal for 20 or so seconds it will cut power to the ecu so if you have a fuel spill it doesnt keep pumping fuel everywhere

so yeah,to my knowledge you dont need another relay,find this green/yellow wire (was that colour for me,i assume its same for OBD2),ignition off it should have no power,ignition on it should get power then go off after a while.run this to your pump power,give pump an earth,and then it should be all good

ECU-MAN
18-02-2008, 08:05 AM
if your not running a honda main pgmfi relay get one and install it.

do not connect the fuel pump directly to the ECU you will damage the ECU. dont try and make a main relay unless you add both relays as the main relay does more that just power the fuel pump.

the FLR earths the main relay to power the fuel pump so your problem is 85 should go to 12v and 86 to flr.

just use a main relay

teh_mechanic
18-02-2008, 02:56 PM
looks like my info might be a bit mistaken.ecu man has cleared it up.
like i said,my fuel pump power is run from that green/yellow wire and,maybe that wire comes from the ecu runs into a relay then the green/yellow wire im using is maybe an output from the relay.sorry for the misinformation if i was on the wrong track