PDA

View Full Version : air intake

tru3_k177
18-02-2008, 11:45 AM
hi guys, i am thinking to buy an air intake and install it in my car, and i need some suggestions please.
i need to know what brand is good, what is the pros and cons, where 2 buy them and possibly, the DIY on installing them
thanx guys its for an accord 95 btw

Riviera
18-02-2008, 07:05 PM
Ebays Good

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Honda-Accord-93-97-high-flow-air-intake-FREE-FILTER_W0QQitemZ290192162329QQihZ019QQcategoryZ366 80QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I personally have that one, bought it because the price is right and it is Ali,
didnt have to buy anything else to install it. was a 10minute job easy

Heres a couple of pictures
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u148/Riviera001/11012008551.jpg
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u148/Riviera001/12012008555.jpg

Tools

Pliers
Phillips Head Screwdriver

I spent alot of time looking into getitng a K&N CAI but went to autobarn and
was disappointed they said they would get back to me never did... im assuming $300+ would be fora K&N CAI...

Riviera
18-02-2008, 07:07 PM
i got underdash neons too show us yours lol

FAT VTI
18-02-2008, 07:30 PM
mate,
I am in the process as well.

Firstly, brand does not really matter, the more expensive ones are controversily suppose to perform better, I disagree, i do not believe the piping of two identical products can be any diff. Anyways, the filter is probably what you would want to concern yourself with .
Rated the best by autosalon magazine, was the 3a racing pod filter, performed better than ame and other far more expensive brands.

The question u need to ask is if you want short or long ram (CAI).
there are pros and cons to both. the above pics are of a short ram, the long ram sits inside your tyre well which attracts cold (colder) air thus making it a cold air induction.
Im not going into details of each, search it and u will get ur answer.

I reccomend a long ram intake off ebay, with a 3a racing pod filter for bout $30-$40 with shipping.

Now, installation. I havent personally done one, however I have taken out my resonator (which needs to be done). That is the box which draws air from beside your battery, Rip it out its quite useless (look it up again for how to do it).
after that, you basically rip out your stock induction piping (black rubber crap) and replace it with your big fat 3inch metal piping.
Few little things to do, bolt on etc but its piss easy ,you shouldnt have any dramas.
good luck, let me know what u decide as I am in the market for something as well (CAI only tho)

pros of having a cai or short ram-
-Proposed hp gain of anywhere from 2-10hp. I dont think it will be a considerable gain so don't expect too much
-Looks sick
-Big induction roar which is definately needed in a stock f22b sohc (can be heard when vtec kicks in the best). however this can be acheived once the resonator is out.

cons-
-Legality issues depending on your state.

Riviera
18-02-2008, 07:53 PM
nice reply there FAT VTI

but with what i have u can always buy another piece of 90degrees or less from like super-heap and feed it down into the wheel well, dunno i was thinking of doing this. but havnt got around to it

Feverpitched
18-02-2008, 08:04 PM
Rated the best by autosalon magazine, was the 3a racing pod filter, performed better than ame and other far more expensive brands.

Not having a go, but 3A Racing, the one that says 'not suitable for forced induction'? Don't bother. Pod filters don't cost an arm and a leg like they did 5 years ago, just invest in a decent quality washable/re-usable one. My money is currently being spent elsewhere, so so far I've just given the filter that came with the kit a liberal dose of K&N filter oil left over from my last car.

Installation is extremely straight forward. Remove the old intake, and fit the new one. Mount an bracket any way you see fit - it's only holding up a piece of aluminium after all. We fitted one (albeit temporarily) in about 5 minutes in the dark. Take note of the location of Riviera's mount location above, that looks like as good a spot as any.

You don't have to remove the white resonator box in the front bumper area if you don't want to.

I bought my kit (pipe and filter) from a forum member (turbo_convert) and I have no problems with it at all. :thumbsup:

Happy shopping.

Dray_Templar
18-02-2008, 08:23 PM
hi guys, i am thinking to buy an air intake and install it in my car, and i need some suggestions please.
i need to know what brand is good, what is the pros and cons, where 2 buy them and possibly, the DIY on installing them
thanx guys its for an accord 95 btw

I have a Drift it's an autobarn brand, had a great write up in one of the performance mags, beat all the top brands KN etc and was only ~$45, the piping i got a mate to help me with (he works at a car exhaust place)

http://a638.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/117/l_97c383f688e3c5663d3f6a71f6b25d7d.jpg
other wise ebay is a good place to have a look i guess

FAT VTI
18-02-2008, 08:43 PM
Not having a go, but 3A Racing, the one that says 'not suitable for forced induction'? Don't bother. Pod filters don't cost an arm and a leg like they did 5 years ago, just invest in a decent quality washable/re-usable one. My money is currently being spent elsewhere, so so far I've just given the filter that came with the kit a liberal dose of K&N filter oil left over from my last car.

Installation is extremely straight forward. Remove the old intake, and fit the new one. Mount an bracket any way you see fit - it's only holding up a piece of aluminium after all. We fitted one (albeit temporarily) in about 5 minutes in the dark. Take note of the location of Riviera's mount location above, that looks like as good a spot as any.

You don't have to remove the white resonator box in the front bumper area if you don't want to.

I bought my kit (pipe and filter) from a forum member (turbo_convert) and I have no problems with it at all. :thumbsup:

Happy shopping.

What do you mean by "not sutiable for forced induction".
In the article i have, it compares all the filters. It says 3a racing filter is ugly, however performed the best based on air flow and 2nd best based on filteration.

Ebay filters are prob alright, would'nt make too much of a diff so long as its clean.
1 other thing i do not understand bout ur post.
Do you mean you do not have to take the resonator out???
for cai you would have to, for short ram it wouldnt serve any purpose? just a box with nowhere to feed air, as it does not fit onto anything because of the filter on the new short ram.

Is there any reason to keep it there if your upgrading? considering its a 15min take out job.

just wondering.

FAT VTI
18-02-2008, 08:46 PM
nice reply there FAT VTI

but with what i have u can always buy another piece of 90degrees or less from like super-heap and feed it down into the wheel well, dunno i was thinking of doing this. but havnt got around to it

You certainly could, but if you make the decision to begin with to buy a cai then it is less hassle, and will be a better fit.
Also, I would wonder if that 90degree pipe you are talking about would be able to reach? do to the space between the pipe and the hole.
You would prob have to get it customised or a new peice mandrel bent to fit perfectly,

So if som1 wanted cai, theyd be better off doing it from the start.

then again it depends what they want, I am a big fan of the look of short ram, however I reckon if u can have cai then its prob a lil better, plus it is prob a little less defectable...

sugz
18-02-2008, 09:19 PM
ive got AEM V2 im very happy with it :)

Feverpitched
18-02-2008, 10:42 PM
What do you mean by "not sutiable for forced induction".
In the article i have, it compares all the filters. It says 3a racing filter is ugly, however performed the best based on air flow and 2nd best based on filteration.

Here we go again.

1. When I looked at them a couple of years ago the 3A Racing brand filter came in a box that said "not suitable for forced induction". Makes you wonder why, hey?

2. There's more to filters than filtration. What about flow, and what about durability and longevity? You do need to clean and re-oil them occasionally you know. You get what you pay for.

3. The intake resonator can stay there. Or not. It's up to the owner to decide if he wants to get rid of it.

4. You could put a 90 degree pipe in as someone mentioned, or you could locate your filter in the cavity where the box used to be. Great. For now. Just pray you don't get caught in a big storm. Practicality vs nominal increase in flow. Your call.

FAT VTI
19-02-2008, 06:47 AM
mate, it would be pretty hard to get water in a cai.
Unless your inner guard around your tyre well has been taken out, it acts as a rubber protection against mud and water.
I understand it will not hold out all the water but it isnt going to be like a hose directly spraying the filter.

The filter is up to whoever buys it, ebay ones are probably alright, its more a case of keeping it clean imo,
I am just stating what i have read, if you disagree than fine, but it is straight out of a magazine testing the product (could of been bias i spose)

If you are going to run cai, you need to take your resonator out, I am sure u know this because the filter will have nowhere to sit.
If u run short ram, there is no point in keeping a big arse box there, because it isn't fulfilling any purpose.

hypothetically, yes u could keep the resonator there for short ram, but if it serves no purpose you should/could take it out in about 15minutes.

Also, the legality of having short ram compared to cai, not too sure of the exact regulations.

The owner is asking which induction to buy, He should choose 1 or the other (cai or short ram) and save himself the trouble but again its another solution to buy the extra peice.

Feverpitched
19-02-2008, 10:01 AM
It's not that hard to wet the filter. There have been some pretty significant downpours of late, and it's the fact of driving through a large puddle, not the actual rain itself that is the cause of concern. Next time theres a big downpour keep an eye out for those sports cars parked by the side of the road. That is, if your car is still driveable at that stage.

There are magazines and there are magazines. I'd be wary about citing Autosalon magazine as a trustworthy source of technical information.

Legalities of a CAI (filter in the bumper) and 'short ram' (filter next to battery?) are the same. They're exposed filters. If one is illegal then so is the other.

Which induction to buy? Shop around. I've already mentioned a seller of an item I found to be good a few posts up.

sugz
19-02-2008, 11:59 AM
^^ hes right, CAI and short ram are illegal if they are exposed

Riviera
19-02-2008, 05:58 PM
Legalities of a CAI (filter in the bumper) and 'short ram' (filter next to battery?) are the same. They're exposed filters. If one is illegal then so is the other.

makes sense, but what i dont understand is if u can build a shield over a short
ram to make it legal how come u cant have it in the wheel well its basically like a shield and/or shielded... isnt it? maybe we should build a shield in the wheel well...? wouldnt be a bad idea and have a direct feed from bumper lol anyways...

i dont think there would be any 'firm' law on that subject

it doesnt make sense not saying your wrong but until there is a firm law
placed over it... just dunno send it to the senate see what they think lol

FAT VTI
19-02-2008, 07:13 PM
haha
any exposed filter is illegal.
cai-the hole which the pipe goes into , if you covered that up, around the pipe you wouldnt be able to see the filter anyways.
just a thought

Riviera
19-02-2008, 07:25 PM
haha
any exposed filter is illegal.
cai-the hole which the pipe goes into , if you covered that up, around the pipe you wouldnt be able to see the filter anyways.
just a thought

well you would cover that hole up.... put a plate around the piping, the vacuum would suck warm air down otherwise wouldnt it?

FAT VTI
19-02-2008, 08:14 PM
doubt it.

its not a massive hole, once the pipe is through it.
but yeah, just make a plate around it, and then its concealed?

Feverpitched
19-02-2008, 08:55 PM
My memory is a bit hazy on the specifics, but I think the stock air filter and airbox are, according to the ADR's, part of the car's silencing system. Removing them offends the ADR's and hence, defecto.

What crock, my car sounds just the same as before. Honest, officer :D

Riviera
19-02-2008, 09:01 PM
hahaha yea gotta keep back off the throttle going past them, cant disguise VTEC in the traffic only 1 honda around lol

sugz
20-02-2008, 09:37 PM
just press in the clutch when you drive past them :)

Riviera
21-02-2008, 06:55 AM
got auto :o

tru3_k177
03-03-2008, 12:24 PM
I reccomend a long ram intake off ebay, with a 3a racing pod filter for bout $30-$40 with shipping.
doesn't that makes it harder for you to fiddle with them then though??

Riviera
03-03-2008, 01:21 PM
theres not much u can fiddle with after u install a pod... unless u wana change the pod of course???

simple

SRI

Pro - better response
Con - not so cold air

CAI

Pro - Cold air
Con - risk of hydrolock is u decide ur going to drive slow through a deep puddle....

up to you want you want of course there are ways of using a SRI and having full CAI... balls in your court

Feverpitched
03-03-2008, 01:55 PM
Mountains out of mole hills...

Make a choice and stick with it. Either can be modified to become the other with very little effort.

CB7_OWNER
05-03-2008, 08:06 PM
Get yourself a 3A racing stack pod filter... it won the Autosalon Airfilter shootout last year...

FAT VTI
05-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Get yourself a 3A racing stack pod filter... it won the Autosalon Airfilter shootout last year...

certainly did.
Beat the likes of aem, k&n etc.

For a product with half the reputation, it performed much better.
Off memory it was 1st in airflow, and 2nd in filteration. making it the overall winner, a very good choice at a very low price.

turbo convert
08-03-2008, 08:52 AM
I sell that same kit brand new $65
I think i need to raise my prices!!!!!:(

Ebays Good

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Honda-Accord-93-97-high-flow-air-intake-FREE-FILTER_W0QQitemZ290192162329QQihZ019QQcategoryZ366 80QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I personally have that one, bought it because the price is right and it is Ali,
didnt have to buy anything else to install it. was a 10minute job easy

Heres a couple of pictures
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u148/Riviera001/11012008551.jpg
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u148/Riviera001/12012008555.jpg

Tools

Pliers
Phillips Head Screwdriver

I spent alot of time looking into getitng a K&N CAI but went to autobarn and
was disappointed they said they would get back to me never did... im assuming $300+ would be fora K&N CAI...

Riviera
08-03-2008, 08:00 PM
I sell that same kit brand new $65
I think i need to raise my prices!!!!!:(

no :'( wish i knew lol $65 is a bargain advertise urself lol

Feverpitched
08-03-2008, 08:53 PM
That's a good idea Tom. You can stick "3A Racing" on it and it'll be fully sick, uleh!

Element12
24-03-2008, 09:15 PM
The standard air box that comes with your car is better off for you in the long run and whilst if you ever get into a car accident the insurance company will cancel your insurance if they see a aftermarket pod filter on your car instead of the standard intake, Obviously.

Not to mention if the pod is not have a shroud over it you will get fined/defected depending on your state.