PDA

View Full Version : type r ecu on vtir

gach2
18-02-2008, 03:49 PM
i know this probably sounds really stupid, but ive read on this forum that using a type r ecu on a vtir will increase power. is this true, i have a dc2 with cai with k and n pod filter and am planning to change headers and get a 2.5 inch catback with 2.5 inch high flow cat. would swapping the ecu be recommended and will it give any benefits (even 1-2kw atw).
i know i should get it tuned properly with a hondata vafc etc, but i have no plans of that so would this be an option, or just stupid.

ricki_kalsi
18-02-2008, 04:33 PM
1. It won't fit
2. Don't do it.

gach2
18-02-2008, 04:36 PM
thought it wouldnt fit but am told by someone it will plug in
i think i will take you word due to the person that told me it will fit was seller

ECU-MAN
18-02-2008, 04:58 PM
if your exsisting teg is OBDII the it will fit

you will have to disable the immobilizer or have it reprogramed to your exsisting IMMO

dynosaur
18-02-2008, 05:11 PM
type-R has single stage & vti-r dual stage intake manifold (IM).

but , does type-R ecu (P73) will auto calibrate due to different IM from vti-r (P72)?

in opposite way , does vti-r (P72) ecu can plug in & run a type-R engine ?

Spoon SiRG
18-02-2008, 09:46 PM
ECU-MAN is spot on :thumbsup:

Furthermore,the ITR P73 ecu has no pin connector to run the IABV (Intake Air Bypass Valve) that activates the secondary intake butterflies on the B18C VTiR intake manifold. =Check Engine Light :p

It also runs different fuel & ignition mappings,obviously because the ITR B18C engine is designed to produce MORE POWER at HIGHER REVS.

So unless you're putting on a single stage manifold with a bigger throttle body,ITR cams or better,ITR valvesprings or better,& upping the compression via thinner headgasket &/or pistons you're wasting your time & money.

gach2
18-02-2008, 10:08 PM
realised that its not worth it
im gonna search the forum for info on hondata

ricki_kalsi
19-02-2008, 09:07 AM
realised that its not worth it
im gonna search the forum for info on hondata

If it's a DC2, rather go with a PowerFC. Cheaper, and not a bad ECU.

teaseR
19-02-2008, 09:50 AM

Not cheaper

dynosaur
19-02-2008, 10:45 AM

Hondata is more experties on Honda ecu's

ricki_kalsi
19-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Power FC's can be had from $750 nowadays... Aren't Hondata K-pro like $1400?

The Hondata is a better ECU I admit, but for a DC2, PowerFC is finneeeee... especially because the guys looks like he is tuning a stock engine, which you won't gain alot from.

FEL12X
20-02-2008, 06:14 PM
but do u need a hand controller for PFC right??

also in that case, a ITR ECU will fit a GSI ? does it help?

Spoon SiRG
20-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Power FC can be tuned via laptop by dyno tuners out there. I think thats more accurate than the optional hand controller.

No it will not help your GSi,you have no VTEC. You dont need the dual fuel & ignition maps programed in the ITR ECU. You are not running the same compression as an ITR,& you'll only wreck your engine if you rev it to 8,500rpm.

ricki_kalsi
07-03-2008, 10:10 AM
but do u need a hand controller for PFC right??

also in that case, a ITR ECU will fit a GSI ? does it help?

No,

but it's good to have the hand controller to see your Knock levels (Which I watch ever so closely all the time), and temps etc... More acurate Speedo aswell! :)