PDA

View Full Version : Steering wouldn't lock

j.meng87
18-02-2008, 04:40 PM
My steering wouldnt lock when the car is off. This happen after my key wouldnt come out the other day. Normally the steering will lock when the ignition is on the LOCK(0) position. Now it doesnt lock and the beeper that tell you left the key in the ignition makes noise evertyime i open the door even when there is no key. Any idea how to fix this? Thanks

Riviera
18-02-2008, 07:08 PM
sounds like a worn ignition barrel...

FAT VTI
18-02-2008, 07:53 PM
yeah could be.

It sounds electrical related, due to the sound when the door is open. Maybe try an auto electrician.

j.meng87
19-02-2008, 12:23 AM
sounds like a worn ignition barrel...

Thats what i guess it was since it only happen after my key got stuck the other day. Anyway how is the lock switch connected to the ignition barrel? Thanks for the reply guys.

Riviera
19-02-2008, 05:49 PM
the beeping is caused by the key being left in the ignition with the door open, its there to remind you that you have left your key in the
ignition... thus explaining the beeping when you open the door

but the reason for it to be stuck in that phase is either the trigger inside the ignition barrel must be worn or stuck.
so the steering wheel lock will not work if it thinks the key is still in there and the beeping will keep on occuring if the door it open...

thats my theory anyways...

Clint
22-03-2008, 09:18 AM
Have you got it sorted?

inside the lock barrel to the right when looking at it front on, there is an arm that runs pararrel to the key. when you push the key in this arm is moved over to the right, pushing on a microswitch to turn on the buzzer, and also to deactivate the steering lock. i would say that arm is stuck to the right.

to have a go at fixing this take the covers off the steering column, 3 screws to be removed from underneath the steering column, then pull apart to the top and bottom halves, they are just clipped to each other. release the steering height adjustment lock so it hangs down vertical and now just lift off the 2 covers. on the right side of the steering column at the back of the ignition barrel is the microswitch, remove the screw holding it in place and then simply pull out the switch. now looking into the opening where the switch was mounted you can see the arm i am talking about, try pushing that in, if you can move it, put the key in, turn it on and off taking it out and see if that arm moves freely, if not try cleaning the ignition barrel. some wd-40 or similar would probably do alright but it leaves a residue when it dries, so something like contact cleaner would be good as it evaporates leaving no residue.

Spoon-Accord
28-03-2008, 02:42 AM
i had this problem before,

get some WD-40, get the key, and put it in quick and pull it out quick, like your having sex with the key barrel( sorry guys, best example i have on my mind lol)

should fix it no problems :)

problems persist, contact me :)

j.meng87
31-03-2008, 08:20 PM
got it sorted. i purchased one of those compress air spray can from dick smith and spray into the barrel.

Riviera
01-04-2008, 09:34 AM
awesome, stupid dick smith ive been trying to find one of those compressed air cans lol

j.meng87
03-04-2008, 02:50 PM
to find the compress air in DS is not to ask the staff as they have no clue what it is but to search around the electronic area. Also powerhouse wouldnt stock it.

Riviera
03-04-2008, 08:05 PM
yea i notice alot of staff in a few of the places i went to had no idea even repco
hes like waaaa... you mean spray cans, or the compressed air bottole u attach
paint to the bottom and use it like an air brush im like noo nvm...