PDA

View Full Version : rear strut, where to cut trim?

vinnY
18-02-2008, 11:00 PM
how did everyone that has rear strut bars figure out where to cut?
looking to cut out a hole big enough to fit the strut bar and shove the koni knob in from time to time to make adjustments

from what i can see right now theres some webbing at the back of the trim, should i follow those lines to cut?

simonnowis
19-02-2008, 12:18 AM
what car is it for? an ek or ej/em?
the coupes seem to just have a fabric and its cutting should be easy enough,
for the EK just take off the top speakers exposing the sussy upper mounts, then you can roughly estimate where abouts to cut, just mark the centre and measure how big u want it.
p.s. by cutting one side first u can check how good u estimated the centre.
use a hacksaw blade then smooth the hole with a razor blade,
iv read somewhere you can even use a hot blade

vinnY
19-02-2008, 12:23 AM
sorry forgot to mention its an ek4
i got an idea where to cut(i'm just going to cut a large square hole)
just wanted to confirm with anyone else thats done it before, just looking for pointers :)

simonnowis
19-02-2008, 12:28 AM
what sort of strut is it? with some u can just cut a small hole so the strut bar can only be seen, would look alot more neat!, dats if the mounts dont get in the way. otherwise u gotta cut for enough room for the mounts to.

p.s. i cant remmeber the name of the drill piece, but the one that is used to cut circle holes in wood might work(used for new doors to make a hole for the handle),
but it might require enlarging alittle with a razor blade and also to make a clean cut.

vinnY
19-02-2008, 12:33 AM
cutting a hole isn't really a problem, i intend on making the hole slightly larger so i can retain speakers at the top and still be able to adjust my koni yellows quickly :)
rear strut is a honda access ek9 one(apparently, probably just the dc2r one though) so its fairly slim
i'll see how i go tomorrow(should be putting it back together hopefully) and post pics up of how i've overcome it i guess

Limbo
19-02-2008, 04:04 PM
Drill a hole first to start yourself off, then you can cut slowly.
I've been meanign to do mine also

kayot1k
20-02-2008, 06:49 AM
it will depend on your rear strut, the design etc...
rear struts arent all fabricated the same.
best tool to use is probably a dremel .

just trial and fit, best way to do it.

[ricer]
20-02-2008, 06:54 AM
just drive with no trimmings :)

kayot1k
20-02-2008, 10:57 AM
:thumbsup:

bennjamin
20-02-2008, 11:00 AM
get a thick stanley knife. And make a fist sized hole either side of the inner trim to suit the location of the strutbar. From there you should be able to slowly make the minimum hole required for the strut bar to stick thru.

vinnY
20-02-2008, 11:02 AM
yeah i was just going to stanly knife the thing, just wondering whether anyone had a non trial-and-error method
guess i'll just have to figure out a way to do it, will post up pics when i actually have time to cut the damn thing

bennjamin
20-02-2008, 11:05 AM
get a piece of crayon or chalk to mark the positions on the trimming , as to not leave a mark on your trim :)

It is trial and error - you can get creative and measure up the exact distance from teh bottom of the wheel cover to the top of the strut mount and work from there. Spend some time with it

vinnY
20-02-2008, 11:08 AM
well theres actually a some webbing on the insides which would help me cut straight holes, i was just going to rely on that to make both sides as symmetrical as i could