PDA

View Full Version : S2000 advice. . .

CONAN
27-08-2004, 01:38 PM
Hi honda fanz,
I'm new here, but I have been on the skylines & silvia forums for the past few years. I've had a few cars in the past but now I plan to upgrade to a S2000. I was leaning towards a Pearl white S15 GT-spec, but I chose the S2k due to the fact that turbo cars was to expensive to maintain and I getting sick of it.

I have a few questions to ask before I go out and buy one, and I hope you guys can sort my problems out.

* My budget will only get me a 1999 model or 2000 model S2k. Are there any differences in the models(if so, please list them)? I was told stay away from the 99 models because they were the first of its kind, and they came out with a few bugs here and there? Can someone clarify that for me?

* When will the new S2000 come out, with the updated bodykit, interior, 2.2L engine, in australia that is?? Is it worth buying an S2000 at this point in time or should I wait for the newer model to be released? I'm guessing 99/00 models prices should drop quite a bit.

* Does the 99/00 model S2k's have HID headlights? Or were they an option for the S2k, I remember seeing S2000's with and without HIDs. And that really confused me. I really want my next car to have HIDs thats why.

* Why can't I find any 1999/2000 model S2K's in white?? I've seen 01's, 02's, are they just that rare? or were they never released in white til 01.

Just to let you know my colour preference is white, black, blue, then yellow.

I'm hoping to pick up my S2K in a month or two, depending what goes on the market. *fingers crossed for a white one*

Any help will do guys,
Many thanks

CONAN

luzinit
27-08-2004, 01:58 PM
hey CONAN, unfortunately we dont have too many S2k owners posting on this board, you probably know more about the s2000 than most of us, i suggest trying over s2ki.com, otherwise, welcome to the forums ! gl with finding a car, when u do, post up some pics n intro in the intro thread !

speedracr
27-08-2004, 08:50 PM
There most common complaint with earlier model S2Ks is a buzzing on deceleration around 3000-3500rpm. It’s a mild buzz, and is caused by the clutch. Besides the noise (which irritates finicky owners), there aren’t any problems associated with it. The 99-01 models come with a plastic rear window. 02 onwards have a smaller, glass window. Interior revisions came in '03, where a new gearknob and interior colours were offered. I believe the swaybars were also changed.

There aren’t many white S2Ks because not many were sold. The most common colour was silver. Surprisingly 9 out of the 13 S2000s I looked at had been in accidents. Why such a high number I’m not sure.

Overall the S2K is a great car but it certainly isn’t for everyone. The power delivery will be the biggest difference from your 180SX. It is also less forgiving than other cars, so it does command some respect from the driver. Interior space and boot space might also be areas that you think about before purchasing, because they are both limited at best. Also check out insurance prices, because they can be frightening depending on your age/where you live at. Mods are also quite expensive.

I’m not trying to turn you off purchasing an S2K. I own one and haven’t regretted it since. It’s the type of car that puts a smile on your face and makes you appreciate all of the thought that has gone into its design, especially its driving position.

The '04 S2K (face-lifted model) is available now. The 2.2litre engine is USDM only. Japan, Europe and Australasia retain the higher-revving F20C.

All S2Ks come with HID headlights.

Make sure you give the car a good looking over before purchasing (as you would with any second hand car i guess). On top of that, check the service history (see if the clutch buzz, oil jets, BMC, updated spark plugs have been fixed). Listen out for any rattle/wind noise coming from the roof latch area as well as any clicking sounds coming from the rear when starting off in first or in reverse.

S2Ki.com is a great source of information, so definitely have a squiz on there for more info.

toE
28-08-2004, 02:45 AM
hey CONAN. Welcome first off. :)

Sadly, we don't get that many S owners here that can answer your queries...cept speedracr. (Can't wait for your dyno results man :) )

Jump onto www.s2k-i.com for an abundance of information regarding the S.

But with a 99/00 S, if you're not too fussy..they come with plastic/vinyl (wateva u call it, just not glass) rear windows. The 02s come with glass windows. And a few little bugs here and there, mainly the latch to the roof and clutch buzzing sound. Just make sure the previous owners have had it looked at by Honda. Unfortunately the 2.2L are for US markets...but who can complain with a 9K redline anyways :p

White is so rare man...in the last month of browsing sites...i have only seen 2 for sale...1 in ACT and 1 in VIC. And also, becasue of the rarity of White...you'd be paying more :(
There are a couple Black, Blue and Yellow for sale at the moment tho.
Silver is sooo easy to find tho ;)

But anywho....gd luck in finding one...and I betcha you'll love it! :)

Oh and also...if u intend to mod it...wheels especially....be wary of the tire sizes and offsets as they play an integral part, but you'll learn all, if not most of it, at s2k-i.

CONAN
28-08-2004, 03:08 AM
sweet you guys are tops!!
just the answers i expected, mainly from speedracers response ;)

yeah, theres a new ad on the tradingpost today, white 2000 S2k for sale at $33k, i was shocked! then i read, it needed a few repairs.. i thought bugger that, couldnt be that bad, maybe a front bumper, bonnet etc.. so i decided to inspect it.

Called up the guy, he was in punchbowl, met up with him, he had a middle eastern appearance. The car looked great from far, but up close, omg, it was in the worst condition a car could be in, let alone a s2k?? why!!
i noticed so many things,
*no mudflaps
* holes in front kit, front kit hanging slighty off
* the dash wasnt screwed in properly
* it had a momo steering wheel? autotechnica gearknob, pioneer $129 headunit? WTF
* holes in the seats
* wires hanging everywhere in the cabin
* roof wouldnt close properly, kept on jamming
* engine was very dirty
* tyres were all completely bold, honestly could pass for slicks!!
* NO SEATBELTS!!! i couldnt believe it, and i trusted this guy with my life too..
ALOT OF OTHER THINGS....

The car was in absolute shit condition, when I opened the hood, the owner told me it didnt have any plates?? I'm pretty sure he was talking about compliance plates(VIN, engine no, built date, etc), I was pretty sure what he meant, but i chose not to listen to him, I couldnt bear how he treated this S2K!!!

And to top it off, he took me for a test drive, revved it upto 9000rpm's about a trillion times, and ended it with a 1080degrees burnout doughy or whatever u call it.

I'm not a genius or nothing, but I'm guessing he does that everyday, and this car has been through something that involves the police?
Anyway, the cost of fixing this car up would be excess of at least 15K.. thats just a guess..

Thanks for reading my reply
hope to hear from u guyz soon ay..

CONAN

aka_NSX
28-08-2004, 09:13 AM
basically now you know already about the car, as the speedracr and toe already explain it to you, but please remember when you are buying a car in the private sale, just try to make sure looking for a car that for sale around north shore area, since they are more professional ppl lives around there, so they will look after the car maybe better, and please take the car for inspection to Hanny's performance he is a nice guy Rob, actually I used to have s2k 01 model, and in white with red leather, the boot space is not big but you still can put an amp and 10" sub pict attached

cheers

eknine
28-08-2004, 10:38 AM
now first i have to go OT!

...........just try to make sure looking for a car that for sale around north shore area, since they are more professional ppl lives around there, so they will look after the car maybe better,.......
cheers

Mate, i'm guessing you live in and around the north shore area or some area where the mouth is bigger than the All So Small!

and to chime it all off, why is the need to stereotype?

so what makes you think someone who lives in the other areas are less professional or who know nuts in taking care of their car! so it is by saying that ppl who lived in the northshore or the likes are more professional or they know more abt their Cars.

On the Contrary, i'd be more worried if the driver or the owner of the car has this "i'm in the class above all attitude!" -> do u know why these ppl spend their money to fix up the damaged they created to their cars -> because they probably can't be f#@k all abt the technicalities of the car, as they just need it to be all pretty and clean like the freshest flower in a pot! ohh, maybe not a pot, but a Waterford vase for they are so professional *Sarcastic*

well i believe that everyone is equal and although some may be more equal than the others, they don't have to compensate with a larger than attitude!

ooh, i live in North Sydney btw and i don't own an s2k ..just a few lil putt putt putt hondas , honda city to be exact -> but i do know i have an attitude as well!

edit: typo errors

aka_NSX
28-08-2004, 11:49 AM
eknine, please calm down. . . . . its only they way I'm thinking, why you have to be so offensive . . . . .and I'm not living in north shore area remember that, anyway if my thread its no good for some ppl please excuse me,
sorry. . . . .

CONAN
28-08-2004, 01:38 PM
Where is Hanny's Performance??

How much did you sell your white s2k for aka_NSX???

aka_NSX
28-08-2004, 04:55 PM
Where is Hanny's Performance??

How much did you sell your white s2k for aka_NSX???

Hanny's Performance is @ smithfield 97255115 ask for Robert
he only service Honda nothing else . . . . . .

I sold my one back in 02 for $57k the car is less than a year old
at that time and only 9k k's,

cheers

toE
29-08-2004, 02:47 AM
saw that white S ad too..and was wondering wat "repairs" were needed...glad u had a look and pointed it out here CONAN. :thumbsup:

CONAN
29-08-2004, 10:18 AM
saw that white S ad too..and was wondering wat "repairs" were needed...glad u had a look and pointed it out here CONAN. :thumbsup:

uh huh, guess that certainly sums up the phrase "u pay for wat u get"..
now i know not to look compromise any money when it comes to buying a sports luxury car.

Anyway, even though i'm very very keen on buying soon, i wont be rushing anymore, if anyone hear spots out a white s2k for sale 99/00 model. Please tell me about it if your not after it? :wave:

Greatly appreciated,

CONAN

btw; whats with DC5R's? i mean, why do alot of ppl talk bad stuff about it? doesnt it live up to what its meant to be? (or should i start a new thread)?

MattG
29-08-2004, 05:29 PM
Hi Guys,

I live in Greystanes, very close to smithfield, you'll probably see me driving round a bit.

I bought my 99 s2000 from Scott's Honda at Atarmon. The car was in extremely good condition and I after owning it for 11 months I have not had a problem with it yet.

I looked at one s2000 at Chrysler in Parramatta, and the salesman there spun me the biggest load of crap I have ever heard.

Take a good look at the condition of the seats, and make sure you operate the roof. Check the roof latches itself squarely and properly, you should not need to pull the roof forward with the handle at all. Inspect the roof for any tears or leaks. Also make sure the roof goes all the way down easily.

When you do buy one, get the salesman to show you where the "secret compartment" is (its the top half of the centre compartment that opens), and most importantly to show you where the fuel door release is!

Just a final note, being Aug/Sept now, you may find prices are a little bit lower compared to summer when the weather is nicer, so it may save you a bit of money if you buy now.

M@

e_s2k
29-08-2004, 08:38 PM
Hey man, i recently upgrade to a s2000 about 2 weeks ago from my 180. It's a total new experince. White is the rarest color, gl in finding one. Most common is silver, i waited for mine, i wanted a black red one.

toE
29-08-2004, 11:44 PM
uh huh, guess that certainly sums up the phrase "u pay for wat u get"..
now i know not to look compromise any money when it comes to buying a sports luxury car.

Anyway, even though i'm very very keen on buying soon, i wont be rushing anymore, if anyone hear spots out a white s2k for sale 99/00 model. Please tell me about it if your not after it? :wave:

Greatly appreciated,

CONAN

btw; whats with DC5R's? i mean, why do alot of ppl talk bad stuff about it? doesnt it live up to what its meant to be? (or should i start a new thread)?

With any car, I reckon you should take your time and research a little (which you are ;) )

And with the DC5R Q...wadaya mean? Wat bad stuff? Well...if you're really intrigued as to opinions about it...read a little here...or sumwhere else..and/or start a new thread. :)

2_and
30-08-2004, 01:52 PM
i have my s2000 up for sale check this..

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=230772

CONAN
30-08-2004, 03:20 PM
hey toE, I dont know anything about DC5R's. I heard things like, its not as fast, 2.0L but less power? this model was used as a guinea pig for the i-vtec, and the interior is poor??

Also, i dont see many DC5Rs around, thats why i thought maybe its not as good thats why it didnt sell so well?

toE
31-08-2004, 02:25 AM
grab urselves a copy of the BMI Vol. 2

off the top of my head,

The DC2R wasnt developed frm scratch. It was rather refined from the Integra SiR. Whereas the DC5R was basically developed from scratch.

Motoharu "GanSan" Kurosawa interviewed the designer (i think that's his title) of the DC5R and he reckons that in a way, the DC5R is the real Type R as it was developed pretty much from scratch. {You bois decide}

The overall dimensions between the two are not far off under the microscope.

The heavier DC5R is made up with a larger sized engine. {Unfortunately they did not do a 1/4 mile comparing the two, so can't prove this point}

Gan San then proceded to take the DC5R on the Honda test track and (again, off the top of my head) he reckons the DC5R has an improved overall balance and stiffer chasis, however, the suspension was a little soft for an R, better brakes and is fast.

Note
I'm not saying that BMI vids are the bible, but look at it rather as a reference guide.
Both DC2R and DC5R mentioned in this post are JDM, so for the comment of the "fast" and "better brakes", can be irrelevant for AUDM DCs.

taken from here (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7497&page=2)

dat's wat i have said about the DC5R. so...to sorta answer what you've heard about it being a guinea pig...i can safely say i doubt it. :)

2.0L but less power? hmm...i seriously doubt it too...however...unsure about the torque. Maybe dat's what "they" meant.

The interior - have u seen one b4? It's awesome...Comparable with the DC2R. oh, unless you comparing it with sumfin else..or mean sumfin else.

You dont see many around doesnt mean they're not good cars. They are prolly too good to be driven..so they have been stored. :p

But my opinion overall about the DC5R...well...I didn't like the shape of it when it first came out...but it has grown on me. And performance-wise...a lot of potential I reckon. So...read up and come to your own conclusion. :)

Oh...gd luck lookn for the S ;)

Euro_Boy
17-09-2004, 11:43 AM
i was gunna get one... but insurance said no when i lost my licence again.

have u sold it yet?

1. HOT F**KING WHEELS.
2. WHERE DID U GET THAT KIT? I HAVE NEVER SEEN ONE LIKE THAT. IT IS HOT?!

i have my s2000 up for sale check this..

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=230772

SCRAPN
19-09-2004, 10:42 PM
sweet you guys are tops!!
just the answers i expected, mainly from speedracers response ;)

yeah, theres a new ad on the tradingpost today, white 2000 S2k for sale at $33k, i was shocked! then i read, it needed a few repairs.. i thought bugger that, couldnt be that bad, maybe a front bumper, bonnet etc.. so i decided to inspect it.

Called up the guy, he was in punchbowl, met up with him, he had a middle eastern appearance. The car looked great from far, but up close, omg, it was in the worst condition a car could be in, let alone a s2k?? why!!
i noticed so many things,
*no mudflaps
* holes in front kit, front kit hanging slighty off
* the dash wasnt screwed in properly
* it had a momo steering wheel? autotechnica gearknob, pioneer $129 headunit? WTF
* holes in the seats
* wires hanging everywhere in the cabin
* roof wouldnt close properly, kept on jamming
* engine was very dirty
* tyres were all completely bold, honestly could pass for slicks!!
* NO SEATBELTS!!! i couldnt believe it, and i trusted this guy with my life too..
ALOT OF OTHER THINGS....

The car was in absolute shit condition, when I opened the hood, the owner told me it didnt have any plates?? I'm pretty sure he was talking about compliance plates(VIN, engine no, built date, etc), I was pretty sure what he meant, but i chose not to listen to him, I couldnt bear how he treated this S2K!!!

And to top it off, he took me for a test drive, revved it upto 9000rpm's about a trillion times, and ended it with a 1080degrees burnout doughy or whatever u call it.

I'm not a genius or nothing, but I'm guessing he does that everyday, and this car has been through something that involves the police?
Anyway, the cost of fixing this car up would be excess of at least 15K.. thats just a guess..

Thanks for reading my reply
hope to hear from u guyz soon ay..

CONAN

ha ha no vin plates??? can anyone say stolen car!.... cut and shut!... probabley a statutory write off bro...

dodgy lebos...

FB008
01-11-2004, 12:19 AM
Can anyone say dodgy???

Good luck in finding your white S2k Conan :)

mike@9K
04-11-2004, 02:34 PM
Dare anyone to call the cops on that guy selling the dodgy S2k, rebirth for sure.

Going to the north shore to find a good S2k isnt that bad of a comment. I bought my S2k from neutral bay, from a guy who catches the bus to work. He only ever drives the car one to two days a week, and the golf course is only located 2 mins from his house. The car was a '99 and it only had 16,000 kms. It was garaged in an underground carspace everyday since he got the car. I think there is more of a chance that youll find people like this in areas like that.

2ds
04-11-2004, 06:07 PM
the dc5r, the reason people bag it is because the AUDM model is severly handicapped
AND
it was designed for the american market, which is why it's lost some of the hard edge of the DC2R

down the quater, the DC5R and the DC2R are about the same in AUDM trim (.1s difference if i remember correctly)

-2ds

00dc2
04-11-2004, 10:47 PM
i've heard the s2k is very tail happy and that may explain why so many have been in accidents... not as forgiving at the limit as say an ITR...

anyone put widder rubber on the back to try to fix it???

or am i completely wrong?

toE
04-11-2004, 11:11 PM
i've heard the s2k is very tail happy and that may explain why so many have been in accidents... not as forgiving at the limit as say an ITR...

anyone put widder rubber on the back to try to fix it???

or am i completely wrong?
Putting wider tyres might help the problem.
But i've read that a few of the owners have complained that the OEM tyres - Bridgestone S02 - aren't great in the wet, and Honda should've gone with the S03 instead.

Muz
07-11-2004, 10:32 PM
Putting wider tyres might help the problem.
But i've read that a few of the owners have complained that the OEM tyres - Bridgestone S02 - aren't great in the wet, and Honda should've gone with the S03 instead.

The OEM SO2's in my experience perform acceptably in the wet unless you're pushing the car too hard. Owners in colder climates than ours seem to experience wet weather grip problems more than we do.

S03s perform better in the wet but they are also a harder compound so the trade-off is they don't quite have the equivalent grip of a softer compound. From memory the S02 provides around 1 G of lateral grip.

I prefer the S02 and have, to date, shod my car in nothing else. Lots of other folks have different preferences.

Another thing to also consider with the OEM tyres is that the rear is described as a 225 but the actual equivalent in a non-OEM S02 or other brand is a 245. i.e. the actual contact patch is around an inch wider than the tyre specs state.