PDA

View Full Version : When Experience Pays off

chumdab
20-02-2008, 06:43 AM
Hey guys i was looking at buying a new car, i have a 94 GLi EG (eg4) yeah i'm kinda to the point where i just want somthing not so much newer but just somthing where the car is in alot better condition, i just posted this thread just to ask what do you guys suggest to keep an eye out when going to look at a honda for sale? (like the usual things the 'average joe' wouldnt pick up and can save you cash in the long run) and usual problems people find with 2nd hand hondas

also what is every ones opnions on buying interstate? (rwc and rego transfers, anything else?)

sorry about the long post just wanna know so i dont fall in the same trap

macoman69
20-02-2008, 08:35 AM
When checking older cars you cant go past checking the log books to see that there has been regular service on the car. This include minor and major services (minor - oil changes etc......major timing belt, clearances etc).
If you know a mechanic best to take them with you as they can spot alot of things out of whack and also check things that alot of average joes wouldnt check.
If your in Brisbane take it down to Centrax (Endless Distributor) they can do a checkup or even the place next door to them are pretty good.

Honda's in general you should probably take for a drive to see what condition they are in. First things you should listen for are exessive noises coming from the engine (tapping, ticking) this could point to more major things such as clearances never been adjusted or timing belt needs to be done which would point to major services not being done properly. You should also check that all the gears go in quite easilly if you find it difficult or hear crunching that means the gear is usually on its way out or already fcuked.

Also check fluids have been regularly topped up, radiator, clutch etc.

Another things is check the chassis for rust, alot of honda owners are very particular about their cars and will take very good care of them. Exessive rust on the car may lead you to think that this person did not take very good condition of their car.

Interior is usually kept clean and alot of honda owners will agree with me on this one that they will spend hours on just cleaning the interior alone so that it is spotless. If the interior is fcuked it wouldnt surprise me if something else was gone because that person obviously doesnt take good care of the interior why would they take care of other parts.

Hope this helped :)

chumdab
20-02-2008, 05:38 PM
yeah thats great thanks, what about tips when interested in cars interstate?

what should i be asking for?

macoman69
20-02-2008, 07:35 PM
Sorry mate not too sure on that part