PDA

View Full Version : Better handling for Euro...

EK Civic R
20-02-2008, 08:56 AM
I've got the sussy done & strut bar, but want to do a little more for my Euro to improve handling..

Was wandering what other Euro owners have done to improve on handling..

I've been looking for sway bar, but the only brand I can find is whiteline..
Does anyone know of any Jap brands, neither Spoon nor Cusco seem to have them.

Also what other things are there to improve handling besides wheels & tires and not go overboard like role cage...

Thanks

Spicey
20-02-2008, 09:30 AM
Other than upgraded suspension parts, reducing vehicle weight and unsprung mass improve handling. Try getting some light weight racing wheels and removing some sound deadener (if the Euro has any???)

bennjamin
20-02-2008, 10:09 AM
the biggest most noticeable improvement you can do to a euro (and most FWD's) is upgrade the rear swaybar to a larger unit. 18mm or even 20/22mm make s abig difference in handling and the feel of the car. It no longer feels like such a heavy understeery car.

aaronng
20-02-2008, 10:25 AM
Rear sway bar. You have 19mm from Selby or whiteline (I heard Whiteline was stopping production for the Euro) in Aus, 22mm from Comptech and Progress in the US, or Swift (front and rear sway bars) from Japan.

McChook
20-02-2008, 10:53 AM
Rear swaybar from Selby is the best one...Whiteline one is a korean special

I can PM the email for a selby bar - I sold the Euro bar I had here last week, but I can put you in contact with Selby - they do a good job and a great pair of swaybars

EK Civic R
20-02-2008, 02:33 PM
Rear swaybar from Selby is the best one...Whiteline one is a korean special

I can PM the email for a selby bar - I sold the Euro bar I had here last week, but I can put you in contact with Selby - they do a good job and a great pair of swaybars

Can you PM me the email..
How much does it cost roughly..

Whats the size of the standard sway bar on the Euro?

McChook
20-02-2008, 03:16 PM
PM Sent to ya

rahul
20-02-2008, 10:33 PM
sorry to hijack the thread, do shelby do rear sway bars for a cd5 as well?
i've upgraded my shocks and springs

McChook
21-02-2008, 08:06 AM
sorry to hijack the thread, do shelby do rear sway bars for a cd5 as well?
i've upgraded my shocks and springs
They sure do

Will send PM

string
21-02-2008, 11:26 AM
You need to be more specific. Exactally WHAT do you want to improve? How does the car behave now and what don't you like about it?

Unfortunately "rear sway bar" is a great answer for such a vauge question and will most likely satisfy you, so I give up :D

Big rear sway bar has the effect of sucking the inner front down. More camber and more caster on the front, add some good tyres and you've got a nice machine - you just then need to learn how to control it.

EK Civic R
22-02-2008, 03:57 PM
Yea, I'm getting camber kit installed next month...
But I find Euro has a lot of body roll..

Whats best way to reduce the body roll??

McChook
22-02-2008, 04:24 PM
Yea, I'm getting camber kit installed next month...
But I find Euro has a lot of body roll..

Whats best way to reduce the body roll??
Swaybars...
Once you go max with swaybars, then shocks, then springs. But the problem is shocks and spring affect the ride, so you need a better riding shock, like a bilstein. Same goes for springs, you end up going stiffer and lose ride comfort, ruining the logic of getting a Euro in the first place...

aaronng
22-02-2008, 05:43 PM
Go for thicker front and rear sway bar, and if you can afford it, go for the Eibach and Bilstein combo. Tony1234 can share his experience on that. I've ridden in his car and it is comfy yet stiff enough for enthusiastic driving.

EK Civic R
23-02-2008, 06:48 AM
Swaybars...
Once you go max with swaybars, then shocks, then springs. But the problem is shocks and spring affect the ride, so you need a better riding shock, like a bilstein. Same goes for springs, you end up going stiffer and lose ride comfort, ruining the logic of getting a Euro in the first place...

I got the Spoon damper kit(coilovers) On the softer setting the ride isn't harsh at all.. I've driven in and used myself a lot of different setups, but coilover wise I think Spoon damper kit is the best yet.. A lil pricey for some but for me was worth the money...

hmmm.... looks like I'm gotta have to save a little for some sway bars..

thanks all

evolution
23-02-2008, 12:01 PM
I got the Spoon damper kit(coilovers) On the softer setting the ride isn't harsh at all.. I've driven in and used myself a lot of different setups, but coilover wise I think Spoon damper kit is the best yet.. A lil pricey for some but for me was worth the money...

hmmm.... looks like I'm gotta have to save a little for some sway bars..

thanks all

Yah I think swaybars are great at killing body roll! You should try driving an Odyssey, was rolling like mad till I upgraded the front and rear away bars, changed to coilovers, lowered the car and increased Rim size to 18s.

tony1234
23-02-2008, 05:54 PM
I've got an 18mm Selby RSB.:thumbsup:Don't worry about upgrading the front one.

hooyn
25-02-2008, 09:17 AM
does anybody have the 20mm bar from Selby ? Im looking to get one soon from Matt, but i don't know whether to go for 18mm or 20mm. Would 18mm be enough ?

Also this may be a very noob question and I've read almost all the other threads about it but i my rims are 19.5inch x 8.5, so its wide as. Will i have any trouble with the wheel hitting the guards when I'm turning if i decide to lower it 25mm - 30mm ?

Thanks in advance yeeah

aaronng
25-02-2008, 09:22 AM
I have the 18mm and I wish I had the 20mm instead...

hooyn
25-02-2008, 11:16 AM
mmm im getting the 20mm as soon as my paypal is updated :) ^^

EK Civic R
26-02-2008, 09:08 AM
Would there be a big difference between 18mm and 20mm??

McChook
26-02-2008, 09:36 AM
Would there be a big difference between 18mm and 20mm??
You can't go wrong with either, really is driver/car dependant.
For the average driver, an 18mm will be sufficient.
For the more enthusiastic driver, who knows how to drive, a 20mm bar is a bit better.

As for "better driver" - if you don't know what lift off oversteer is, 18mm is fine for you. A 20mm bar will catch out the novice in a BAD way

tony1234
26-02-2008, 09:58 AM
I'd go 18mm.because a few guys over in the states have had swaybar mounts break with the 20 and 22mm RSBs.I haven't heard of any such breakages with the 18mm.ones.

McChook
26-02-2008, 10:09 AM
I'd go 18mm.because a few guys over in the states have had swaybar mounts break with the 20 and 22mm RSBs.I haven't heard of any such breakages with the 18mm.ones.
They are replacable, and steel links can be made

Euro08Jaz
19-05-2008, 04:17 PM
You can't go wrong with either, really is driver/car dependant.
For the average driver, an 18mm will be sufficient.
For the more enthusiastic driver, who knows how to drive, a 20mm bar is a bit better.

As for "better driver" - if you don't know what lift off oversteer is, 18mm is fine for you. A 20mm bar will catch out the novice in a BAD way

catch out a novice in a bad way, what do you mean?

aaronng
19-05-2008, 04:26 PM
They are replacable, and steel links can be made

He meant sway bar bracket subframe mounts. Not the endlinks. To fix it, you have to reweld the subframe.

aaronng
19-05-2008, 04:26 PM
catch out a novice in a bad way, what do you mean?

It is easier to spin the car. Even with 18mm, when I am going all out on the track, I can spin the car by oversteering on throttle lift.