PDA

View Full Version : Idle issues *Urgent help reqd!!!*

CivicSi
20-02-2008, 07:41 PM
Hi Guys,

I've got an idle problem with my car! When you start it from cold and the revs sit higher whilst the car is warming up it idles fine, but when the engine's warm and the revs drop, they drop to a very rough 400 and then eventually the engine dies! Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Engine is a D16A8 in an EH9

TODA AU
20-02-2008, 08:42 PM
When did the problem start?
What was done just prior to the problem occuring?

Check engine coolant temp sensor is plugged in correctly & not loose or full of oil.
Check ignition timing.

55EXX
21-02-2008, 07:57 AM
idle set too low. maybe the idle was adjusted down and the fit valve was stuck open now the fit valve is working again, new coolant flush maybe it idles too low

nick_sixx
21-02-2008, 08:47 AM
if you have a carbon bonnet, or carbon intake, particles can get caught in some valve (ICA/IAC/ACI?) i cant remember what its called but yeah that generally causes idling issues similar to yours

EuroDude
21-02-2008, 08:49 AM
If engine is cold and the revs are above 1500, screw in and clean the FITV valve

If the engine is completely warmed up and drops below ~750 when idle, the most likely cause is a clogged throttle body (idle air bypass valve). Another cause could be a dirty IACV filter, dirty fuel injectors, bad spark plugs/leads, vacuum leak, etc..

Dont try fixing the problem by adjusting the Idle screw, you should fix the source of the problem rather than patching up the problem, possibly resulting in performance loss and even worse idle.

Search the DIY section for "Throttle Body" and "IACV"

nick_sixx
21-02-2008, 08:57 AM
^^^ i was close with IAC :)

CivicSi
23-02-2008, 04:40 PM
If engine is cold and the revs are above 1500, screw in and clean the FITV valve

If the engine is completely warmed up and drops below ~750 when idle, the most likely cause is a clogged throttle body (idle air bypass valve). Another cause could be a dirty IACV filter, dirty fuel injectors, bad spark plugs/leads, vacuum leak, etc..

Dont try fixing the problem by adjusting the Idle screw, you should fix the source of the problem rather than patching up the problem, possibly resulting in performance loss and even worse idle.

Search the DIY section for "Throttle Body" and "IACV"

Ok, i've gone ahead and checked the IACV, checked the throttle body... both are fine...
I've cleaned the fuel injectors, replaced the rings on them and the buffer seals...
I've replaced the spark plugs
And i've taken off everything that could be leaking and put it back on with genuine Honda grey gasket sealant....
I've also tried replacing the O2 sensor, as i know the ecu runs a closed circuit on warm up before taking data from other inputs

Still having the same issue!!!!! Any ideas?

CivicSi
23-02-2008, 07:58 PM
Nobody wants to put in their 2 cents?

INTEG
23-02-2008, 08:04 PM
Mine was the same is it DC2 i change idle control motor behind the manifold

CivicSi
23-02-2008, 08:22 PM
Already adjusted that.... don't want to just cover the problem though... want to fix it!

INTEG
23-02-2008, 09:22 PM
what u mean u adjusted it ? i dont think you can? if u talking about the screw on the TB it not it

CivicSi
23-02-2008, 09:55 PM
Oh, soz... the screw on the TB was what i thought you were talking about! Idle control motor, where is it ?

Limo
23-02-2008, 10:18 PM
theres a sensor at the back of the intake manifold, abit hard to reach but it has 2 bolts, take it out and clean it, its probably full of carbon. thats the iacv. then you should have another on the bottom of the throttle body, same thing, unbolt it and clean it, thats your fitv.

also you can try cleaning your engine with abit of carbi cleaner, just spray into your throttlebody when it idles, repeat a few times as it will stall, you should see any carbon build up come out your exhaust.

AsH_
23-02-2008, 10:43 PM
thread on this in the diy section.

EuroDude
25-02-2008, 10:48 AM
Clean the throttle body and see how that goes. It may look clean when visually inspecting it, but looks can be deceiving. You need to clean out the various piping inside the throttle body. Most likely the piping is clogged.

DIY: Throttle Body Cleaning (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35488)