PDA

View Full Version : rear diff?

NVD52K
21-02-2008, 09:37 AM
hey guys every morning i wake up start the car and put it in reverse and i step on the brake gently before i drop down my drive way, theres a sound that doesnt sound so good lol like a hard click click and then thats it for the whole day until the next morning after the car has had a long break what could it be diff oil needing a change?:thumbdwn:

pat88c
21-02-2008, 05:43 PM
look at this

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81448

WhiteAP1
22-02-2008, 01:26 AM
Just you regular s2000 CV issues

weezer
22-02-2008, 11:00 AM
that sound is normal. Most cars have that noise (all cars i've owned) when they reverse in the morning. Its the brake pads making the noise. it only happens first thing in the morning

NVD52K
22-02-2008, 11:17 AM
hey guys just went to hannys it was nothing to do with the diff it was the calipers and brake pads lol just me stressing for no reason

bennjamin
22-02-2008, 11:41 AM
yeah - alot of cars do that in the morning ( or when first driven after stationary) Its abit freaky but normal.

EG my civic does if first thing when reversing in out as i touch the brakes - its the rear caliper/s "clapping" against the brake pad.Does it once then beds itself in , then never again all day.

martin
24-02-2008, 03:49 PM
is there anyway you can upgrade the rear diff on the s2000? because what i heard is that apparantly they are really weak and give in after heavy thrashing or when you start to dump them too much.

NVD52K
24-02-2008, 05:19 PM
hmm i think you can get and lsd which can do alot to improve handling and acceleration

vyets
24-02-2008, 06:01 PM
Kaaz, Spoon, J's Racing, Cusco just to name afew lsd's available.
1.5way ftw :D

I wouldn't say an after market lsd would improve acceleration, the stock torsen lsd should be enough for getting off the line. A 1.5way would help alot more around corners especially hairpins :D

joek
10-03-2008, 01:52 AM
Currently I am facing a diff problem. It is leading :( According to my research, yes, the stock lsd is crap and the most bang for bucks one i think should be Kaaz 1.5 way, however they shouldnt give u a gain in acceleration, for me I am going to change the final drive to 4.77 or 4.9 at the same time to save labor and gain some acceleration as well. Just u need to bear in mind, it will lose the top end speed........
Joe

teamkillerpe
10-03-2008, 08:15 PM
I am facing the same choice too...
considering an LSD and final gear...
someone is recommending me Carbonetics LSD... anyone tried it?

As for final gear... if whiteAP1 can help.. can u tell us more about the KIA 4.77 final gear? (sorry to hassle u whiteAP1... I threw that question out in another thread just a few seconds ago... before seeing this thread...)

WhiteAP1
12-03-2008, 11:50 AM
What do u want to know??

teamkillerpe
13-03-2008, 09:38 PM
Just wondering, can we just get the diff from KIA parts? Will I need any other parts to fit it? May sound silly... but... I am abit lost...

Any problems with urs so far? (reliability issue?)

joek
25-03-2008, 11:51 PM
and just bear in mind. i sat in my friend's s2k before, an aftermarket LSD like Kaaz or cusco have plenty of noise when u are making corners.. .. so another issue need to be considered............
By the way, i end up find out my diff wasnt leaking, just the ring around the screw was loose... luckily...
Joe

WhiteAP1
26-03-2008, 12:15 PM
Just wondering, can we just get the diff from KIA parts? Will I need any other parts to fit it? May sound silly... but... I am abit lost...

Any problems with urs so far? (reliability issue?)

This lists what u need,Ive had no issues whatsoever

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=427696&st=0&#entry8747563

AusS2000
31-03-2008, 07:22 PM
None of these JDM limited slip diffs will solve the durability problem.

The problem is the ring an pinion go out of alignment with repeated shock and end up destroying themselves. It can happen with an abuse stock car. That said, I'm FI, well over 400hp and still on my original diff. That said, I don't abuse it.

So you spend a couple of grand on a Carbonetics, Kaaz, Spoon, J's Racing, Cusco Supe Extreme diff centre and a 4.77 ring and pinion and dumo your clutch repeatedly. It still walks and it still destroys itself.

If you want a real solution to the supposed glass diff problem talk to difftechnics. They will install a R200 Nissan diff with what ever centre and ratio you like and it will take more than bolt ons and abuse to destroy it.

AusS2000
31-03-2008, 07:25 PM
http://difftechnics.com.au/images/S2K_R200.jpg

Age_S2000
18-02-2009, 07:08 PM
hey all my car has a problem

when i accelerate and only when i accelerate my car makes a slight thumping noise in the rear so i put 4 new tyers which were needed anyway and its still there but not as much it used to be pretty bad but its only light now any ideas??

Possibly drive shafts as the car is very low??

F20C
18-02-2009, 07:43 PM
i dont think it would be the drive shafts age mine was like 5 or 6cm of the ground before i had to change it back to legal height and i never got the thumping noise.. check your boot for things rolling around LOL :P

age be sure to see me on sunday for our little shoot ok? lol

whiteap1 are you comming to the cruise on sunday?

JAP-S2K
27-02-2009, 09:40 PM
Dude, Def your driveshafts, inner joints. These are a common problem if lowered, high Km's, or hard driving. You can swap the inners around from left to right.