PDA

View Full Version : Radio unit No.

Pauly
21-02-2008, 11:35 PM
Hi all,

EDIT: Anyone know the part number or were i can get the part number for the radio unit that powers the centre console in the euro. The part that will fix the dim light in my console.
Thanks

I have a 03 euro lux.
Yesturday when i got in my car i realised that the centre console light was really dim.I can just bearly see it. Tried pressing the cd/aux button for 5 seconds but it did not work. Also tried turning the select/reset trip meter button clockwise but it did not work either. The dual climate control green light still works but the console light and the lights on the surronding buttons around the console do not work. All buttons work properly as in function wise and the cd player, radio ac etc still work. After searching the forum i found this http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67002&highlight=console+lights

It sound like i have exactly the same problem.
The only issue is i am not under warranty anymore. And if what i heard is true, i can not afford to pay $900 for a new console. So i was wondering if it is possible to either
-Just get the lights fixed in the console?
-Get a 2nd hand console and from where?
-Or is there anywhere i can get a new console apart from honda as i do not have a spare arm and a leg to pay for it from honda.

Thank you all in advance
Pauly.

EDIT: Anyone know the part number or were i can get the part number for the radio unit that powers the centre console in the euro. The part that will fix the dim light in my console.
Thanks

Miz_II_Die_IV
22-02-2008, 12:31 AM
Well... might be a long shot but i believe there is a DIY on changing th centre console light.... Cant remember who it was... i think it was Euro33act.... i think.... look up the DIY threads... or beta yet u could ask him to do it for you... im sure you be more willing to pay him to change it and get it your colour instead of the dull green... hhehe.... worth a try.... try looknig up that thread im sure its there...

traumatized
22-02-2008, 08:04 AM
Hey Pauly,

Unfortunately this appears to be a common problem in the 03 euros.

Changing the lights in the console will not help as it is not a bulb issue it is infact the radio unit itself as this powers and controls the center console and radio and so forth.

You may be able to go to a wrecker to see if they have any consoles laying around that you can purchase for cheap so that will always be an option, even if the facial part of it is not in good nick just get it if it's cheap as you swap it with your existing one.

I must ask how far out of warranty is your car? as Honda sometimes will grant a good will warranty job which in most cases means that they pay for the part (mind you it they will only supply a reconditioned unit) and you pay for labour for fitting on the unit

I would suggest call Honda Australia and see what they have to say.

Hope this information has helped you.

Pauly
22-02-2008, 12:14 PM
My car does not have extended warranty. So i just have the standard 3 year warranty. So i would ruffly be 1 year and 8 months out.

Pauly
22-02-2008, 01:01 PM
Update:
Just called up honda australia, they told me to ring a honda dealer. I called up honda essendon, they told me that because i have not had my car serviced their before, when they send a PWA that honda australia will reject it.
Called honda austrlia back. Had to wait to get transfered to head office. Then after a chat with head office, were i told them that i reasearched about the problem and found that it was recalled in the us, they said that they will call the honda essendon dealership and will try get the car booked in for an assesment. But he said that my service history does not look good. This sorta shocked me, as my car has 62,000k's on it and it is a 2003 model. And all my services have been done at honda and filled in my log book. At every interval eg 10,000, 20,000 and so on. Except i have not done my 60,000k's service yet and that my last service was done about a year ago. But thats because i have only done 10,000k's in the last year.

Pauly
22-02-2008, 01:05 PM
Honda essendon called me back and said that if honda do not help out and pay to get my radio console checked then i will have to pay $200. Thats just to get it assesed. And then honda may or may not agree to give me a goodwill. And if i do not get a goodwill then i will have to pay for the whole new radio and labour and fitting.

So now im stuck with the decison to either,
- Book my car at essendon and i will most probably have to pay the $200 to asses my car.
And then hope that honda australia give me a goodwill to fix the radio, because if they dont i dont think i will get it fixed as i dont want to pay $1000 or more.
-Try find a 2nd hand radio at wreckers, and install it myself.

Essendon honda said its not a common problem, and that they need to asses why it broke. But the way i see it is, if you put a faulty part in the car then even if not under warranty you should atleast pay for a new part that is not faulty. I cant see how i caused it to brake as i only use it for the functions it was created for. The car is 4 and a half years old, and the components inside it should be made to last longer than that.

aaronng
22-02-2008, 01:14 PM
If all your services have been done at a Honda dealer, why not go back to that one for this "goodwiill" warranty repair?

Pauly
22-02-2008, 01:20 PM
im the 2nd owner of the car. I brought the car in nov 2006 The previous owner lived on the other side of the city and got the car serviced their.

Pauly
22-02-2008, 01:28 PM
does anyone know if there is a DIY on replacing the centre console.

tron07
22-02-2008, 02:05 PM
At every interval eg 10,000, 20,000 and so on. xcept i have not done my 60,000k's service yet and that my last service was done about a year ago. But thats because i have only done 10,000k's in the last year.

You need to service your car every 10k or 6 month which ever comes first..... if engine faulty, they will blame it to that.... but radio faulty they can blame that.

Pauly
22-02-2008, 05:10 PM
Im going to try get a price from the dealer on the cost of a new radio.

teh_mechanic
22-02-2008, 05:16 PM
im the 2nd owner of the car. I brought the car in nov 2006 The previous owner lived on the other side of the city and got the car serviced their.

other side of the city isnt really that far to go if it can save you $1000 by getting the job done on goodwill

Pauly
22-02-2008, 05:20 PM
If they give me goodwill i still have to pay for assessing, and the labour and fitting. Honda pay for the part only.

traumatized
22-02-2008, 05:27 PM
no the assessment should not be charged as there is a fault, however the labour they will charge you once they swap it over, not to assess the fault.

i would definately think about ringing up another honda dealer.

just keep in mind that they will charge you roughly 2hours of labour even though it technically will only take them 30min to take out the unit.

if you wish to diy follow the diy to change the console lights then you will be ok as this will give you a pretty good idea of what you will need to do to get the radio unit out.

Pauly
22-02-2008, 06:48 PM
if you wish to diy follow the diy to change the console lights then you will be ok as this will give you a pretty good idea of what you will need to do to get the radio unit out.

Yep i found that diy and its seems to be enough information for me to be able to change the radio.
Now im just going to try find a radio either 2nd hand from wreckers or new from elsewere.

EuroDude
22-02-2008, 06:53 PM
Or how about upgrading it to SatNav :p

Dunno whats involved though..

Pauly
22-02-2008, 07:39 PM
na i think it will be to much to change and adjust. Also price wise.

LXRY
23-02-2008, 07:21 PM
try Travis Honda in Frankston we have members in this forum who work there, although it's a bit of a drive from the other side of the city for you unless your like me who love to drive lol...

Pauly
25-02-2008, 03:44 PM
Anyone know the part number or were i can get the part number for the radio unit that powers the centre console in the euro. The part that will fix the dim light in my console.

tony1234
25-02-2008, 04:09 PM
Anyone know the part number or were i can get the part number for the radio unit that powers the centre console in the euro. The part that will fix the dim light in my console.
Ask the local Honda spares at a dealer,they'll know.I'd still go down the path of seeing the servicing dealer of your car and try and get it fixed under good will.