PDA

View Full Version : Buying an Injen Cai.

Miz_II_Die_IV
22-02-2008, 12:26 AM
Hi guys,
Im gonna purchase an injen cai soon. Just wanna know how may of you guys have got it installed yet. Also is it hard to do it yourself. Anyone in Sydney that has got it done... Ive looked up some of the DIY threads and was wondering if there is anything else i need to know before i go ahead... Also Is anyone satified with it.... Ive got a 06 Lux... so from what ive read im gonna have to take off my front bumper? True? Also read the thread on the Hyrdolock???? I live in Syd and sometimes there is heavy rain.... Should i be very concerned about it.... Also....With the injen It could be a CAI or a SRI??? What do u guys recommed???? Using it as a CAI or a SRI??? What are the differences... Noting that i have an AUTO! Thanks for the help guys???

T.T ^_^

hooyn
22-02-2008, 12:32 AM
i got one not too long ago, installed it with my friend it was cake really.
yes you will need to remove your front bumper, thats popping out the clips and undoing some screws as you see in the DIY's on here. SRI will be more responsive as the piping length to your engine is alot shorter than having the CAI which extends down behind you bumper.
downfall of SRI is it sucks the not so 'cold' air from the heated engine bay where as the CAI will be sucking incoming 'cold' air from outside.

imo you shouldnt have to worry about getting hydrolock as the pod would be enclosed between your bumper and the cover thing underneath your car.

heres a vid of the sound coming from my 04 lux ^^ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7POAC7SbkM

love the sound when WOT !!! ^^ hope this helps ?

Miz_II_Die_IV
22-02-2008, 12:53 AM
well if u havnt notice im a chick... gonna get a guy friend to help LOL... please dont laugh cos im a girl ( and yes... gonna try attempt to do it) if guys can so can girls... LOL...How long it take.... Anything i need to know....

tony1234
22-02-2008, 07:55 AM
Get a Comptech Icebox with K&N filter.:thumbsup:

power_of_dreams
22-02-2008, 09:59 AM
If you plan on buying Injen, get from US via eBay. Much cheaper.

Suntzu
22-02-2008, 11:45 AM
I have the Fujita. Its very similar to the injen. It doesnt have the option for short ram though. Not that you would probably use it.

I love the sound but its to loud and like a " Angry Elephant" so im sick of it.

I have now ordered a Comptech Icebox. It will give me the same performance but much quieter.

Im selling my fujita as a result.

Just a friendly warning. Im thinking you like to stand out anyway from your other posts, so in that case the Injen will service your needs, esp at 5000-7000rpm...

Crapdaz
22-02-2008, 02:13 PM
Don't bother going for SRI unless your going to have it enclosed with cold air feed, cause it drags the performance down and not consistent as it sucks hot engine bay air.

Find throttle response with CAI better in my experience.

So yes get a CAI + as Suntzu said you will hear the elephant stampede at 5000-7000rpm

EuroAccord13
22-02-2008, 03:05 PM
True to a sense, but recently we've just perform dyno and road testing on CAI and SRI.
Both have pros and cons..

CAI Pros:
Less heatsoak
Colder air = better combustion
Quieter

CAI Cons:
Slight loss of low end
Slight loss of throttle response
Risk of hydrolocking (but that is if you are stupid to drive through a flooded road)
Gets dirty faster
Might have too many bends in the piping for optimal flow

SRI Pros:
Better throttle response
No loss in low end

SRI Cons:
Louder
REAAAALLY BAD when you are stuck in traffic
Heatsoak in engine bay
But our tests revealed that as long as the car is moving, there will always be a vacumn created from under the car that will draw the heat out of the engine bay so heatsoak is more or less elminated. But of course if you are stuck in traffic, there will obviously be heatsoak.
Another note is, with an enclosed pod in the engine bay, the car actually makes less power but then again, it's on a dyno where airflow is at a minimum as opposed to real time street driving. An enclosed pod can prevent the engine from taking in more air hence less power.
So in short, an enclosed pod is good if you are going to be stuck in traffic, a heatshield will be good for street driving as it will allow better flow of air through and allow the heat to be sucked out through the vacumn created on the underside of the car.

I used to run the K&N Typhoon Intake system but I am now running an ART prototype intake with a few of my own modifications.
It is a hybrid system of a heat shielded SRI that can be converted into an enclosed pod with a cold air feed via the front bumper.

We also did flow tests on several filters, K&N came out top followed by Apexi.
On Dyno tests, K&N outflowed the Apexi by 2Kws..... Bottomline, bigger is better!!!!!!

hooyn
22-02-2008, 11:58 PM
well if u havnt notice im a chick... gonna get a guy friend to help LOL... please dont laugh cos im a girl ( and yes... gonna try attempt to do it) if guys can so can girls... LOL...How long it take.... Anything i need to know....

why would i laugh if your a girl ;D took me and my friend about 2 hours thats because first time for us. you will need 2 people to take off the bumper and a size 10 spanner.

the small clips are a bit tricky to pry open, you'll have to do that carefully ensuring you dun snap any of em (i snapped a couple ^^) mmmm

make sure you angle it properly and the battery back into place before you tighten the intake if you are going for the cold air. i stupidly put the battery back in first and the battery mount did not line up (you'll know what i mean if you try install it ^^ )

other than those few points everythings straight forward as there's a pictured instruction manual you get with it. goodluck !!

yfin
23-02-2008, 08:22 AM
Go an enclosed SRI pod or icebox. If you don't you will notice the low end loss much more in the auto given the long gearing.

Suntzu
25-02-2008, 09:50 PM
I just complete the swap from my Fujita CAI to the Comptech Icebox.

Its MUCH quieter. Less than half as loud at full throttle and almost silent at less than 70% throttle. Low speeed torque has improved at a cost of a tiny bit of top end power maybe, just maybe.

But ultimately at this point i'd say the Icebox has better performance and its nothing to do with peak power.

With the Fujita i was hesitant and reluctant to nail the throttle when out and about due to the cop attracting nature of the intake and associated elephant rampaging.

Now I feel free to hit the throttle as hard as I like. The performance is there, but not the cost and risk. So its quicker cause i access the full perfomance of the engine when i see fit.

At least that the verdict after a 20 min drive! Lol.

At the end of the day its a personal preference. Like choosing which alloys you like. At least I can say i have tried two types and actually know what the difference is.

Actually i can hear the tech kick in at 5000rpm now where as before it was too noisy. And just had a sucking sound over the cam change. More comments to come when i update my Mod Log.

gromit
26-02-2008, 01:40 AM
Suntzu wher did u source ur comptech CAI if u dont mind me asking? Can't find it being sold here in Oz after previous exhaustive searching...

tony1234
26-02-2008, 06:48 AM
I just complete the swap from my Fujita CAI to the Comptech Icebox.

Its MUCH quieter. Less than half as loud at full throttle and almost silent at less than 70% throttle. Low speeed torque has improved at a cost of a tiny bit of top end power maybe, just maybe.

But ultimately at this point i'd say the Icebox has better performance and its nothing to do with peak power.

With the Fujita i was hesitant and reluctant to nail the throttle when out and about due to the cop attracting nature of the intake and associated elephant rampaging.

Now I feel free to hit the throttle as hard as I like. The performance is there, but not the cost and risk. So its quicker cause i access the full perfomance of the engine when i see fit.

At least that the verdict after a 20 min drive! Lol.

At the end of the day its a personal preference. Like choosing which alloys you like. At least I can say i have tried two types and actually know what the difference is.

Actually i can hear the tech kick in at 5000rpm now where as before it was too noisy. And just had a sucking sound over the cam change. More comments to come when i update my Mod Log.
The Icebox is good isn't it!Get a K&N filter as well and i think you'll notice a little bit more power.

Suntzu
26-02-2008, 09:00 AM
I got it from here in 6 days http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AEOIBSA%3AAU%3A11&viewitem=&item=130181000583 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AEOIBSA%3AAU%3A11&viewitem=&item=130181000583)

Very professional ebayer.

I think i just sold my fujita for a fair price so im coming out of the swap ok.

The comptech isnt much stuff for the money though! Bit of plastic! Works good and sounds tough and WAY less ricey than CAI.

I will consider the K&N but im concernecd about the extra rubber in there you have to add and it being sucked in.

You reckon the K&N is a lot better than the comptech filter??

tony1234
26-02-2008, 09:46 AM
I got it from here in 6 days http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AEOIBSA%3AAU%3A11&viewitem=&item=130181000583

Very professional ebayer.

I think i just sold my fujita for a fair price so im coming out of the swap ok.

The comptech isnt much stuff for the money though! Bit of plastic! Works good and sounds tough and WAY less ricey than CAI.

I will consider the K&N but im concernecd about the extra rubber in there you have to add and it being sucked in.

You reckon the K&N is a lot better than the comptech filter??
To be honest i never tried the foam filter that came with it.I got the K&N from EURO03ACT(thanks Justin).If you go to the hardware and get the thickest rubber they have,the one they use for sealing windows from draughts,8mm.i think and cut it in half width ways,stick it on the top of the Icebox lid and also on the bottom of the factory intake,there is a lip of approx.5mm.on both the top and bottom parts of the intake,tighten it up and you'll be good to go.I've had mine done for approx2 mths.and all good,no sucking noises etc.Let me know what difference there is when you change the filters.:p

tony1234
26-02-2008, 09:51 AM
BTW i've just installed the Comptech headers,nice low to mid power range improvement.I highly recommend them.:thumbsup:

snYpz
26-02-2008, 10:04 PM
BTW i've just installed the Comptech headers,nice low to mid power range improvement.I highly recommend them.:thumbsup:

How's the sound like? I would love to get a set as well, but too bad im with NRMA insurance! :(

tony1234
27-02-2008, 06:27 AM
How's the sound like? I would love to get a set as well, but too bad im with NRMA insurance! :(
Sorry to hijack thread!!Headers are good,no change in sound from stock up to 4-5k then it sounds a little deeper than stock but never loud.BTW i'm still running stock cat back so that would explain it.Check with NRMA before you install them,should be OK as long as you tell them.