PDA

View Full Version : Redline gearbox oil

del501
22-02-2008, 10:44 AM
Hey guys soz if this has already been discussed before, wanting to know which redline gearbox oil do i go for superlight, lightweight or heavy shockproof? as hte distributors here dont know whats best for the dc5r gearbox!! cheers guys

oconnor
22-02-2008, 11:51 AM
Has been discussed, and if I remember correctly - everyone says that Redline is NOT the way to go. Correct me if I'm wrong

TeMp
22-02-2008, 11:58 AM
Used light weight shock proof and like it alot. For both street and track as it got rid of my random second gear crunching!

This royal purple im using at the moment sucks in comparsion.

Listen to ppl who have actually tried this stuff themselfs. Not people who have heard from their dog's gf's mom's son.

del501
22-02-2008, 12:16 PM
cheers temp, yeh im about to purchase REDLINE LIGHTWEIGHT SHOCKPROOF, as in other threads this lightweight shockproof does the job no more grinding 2nd gear, let you guys know after i put it in.

Used light weight shock proof and like it alot. For both street and track as it got rid of my random second gear crunching!

Listen to ppl who have actually tried this stuff themselfs. Not people who have heard from their dog's gf's mom's son.

oconnor
22-02-2008, 12:24 PM

No need to be rude champ. The thread I read on this site, only yesterday, concluded that Redline should be stayed away from. Thought I would pass that on.

tectalk
22-02-2008, 12:30 PM
No need to be rude champ. The thread I read on this site, only yesterday, concluded that Redline should be stayed away from. Thought I would pass that on.

for ur info poeple on this site have tried redline and had MAJOR issues with it pm 45SET he will give u a run down as he has had first hand use with this oil.
cheers

e240
22-02-2008, 12:38 PM
I use a private mineral blend from a victorian firm...ULX or something.
80w-90...No issues in the gearbox for 1 season of supersprints.

preludacris
22-02-2008, 12:39 PM
not sure why ppl want to go aftermarket. OEM MTF 06 is smoooth as hell... why would u even want to use anything else? just coz it has a motul , or redline brand on it ?

civ04
22-02-2008, 01:00 PM
i can recommend redline mt90,i have used it in a whole range of front wheel drive g/boxes and had good results.

del501
22-02-2008, 02:47 PM
for ur info poeple on this site have tried redline and had MAJOR issues with it pm 45SET he will give u a run down as he has had first hand use with this oil.
cheers

45SET said redline is good " LIKE HOT KNIFE THROUGH BUTTER"

what gearbox oil did you use?

i experianced this problem when i first bought my r.... I use Redline lightweight shockproof gear oil.

the previous owner used this oil and had it in the car for about close to 15k km.... so it was dead, so i was getting the 2nd gear crunch. i changed it, and it was gone, cold, hot, high rpm, low rpm... felt like a hot knife through butter. the oil is about 10k old... so it'll need a change shortly, as i am getting the 2nd gear crunch on cold starts.

on a side note... if you want to set your seat up "correctly" have is so you can rest your wrist on the top of the steering wheel, with a slight bend in your elbows.... and so that you can fully depress the clutch.... with a slight bend in your knee.

hope this helps dude... if you try all the above (using a none OEM oil), changing seat possition etc etc it might be something inside the box... also how many ks on the car? this might give the guru's a better idea.

TeMp
22-02-2008, 03:38 PM

I apologise if i was a bit blunt but look at the above posts, its a good example about the problems of hear/say. :thumbdwn:

teh_mechanic
22-02-2008, 04:09 PM
i no its not an integra, but i put redline mt90 in my b16 civic lsd gearbox and its super smooth and got rid of random 2nd gear crunch.im very happy with the product

markoJEK1
22-02-2008, 04:19 PM
^ thats another example of the product been a topgrade oil, most people do like the redline products but others that have been unlucky like asset, caused his gearbox to eat itself because the oil lost all its values, I myself havent tried it as of yet, am using OEM Honda MTF atm, in my opinion the only trick of running the redline gearbox oil is that you have to replace it every 15,000km / 1 year, for it to function correctly and not cause any damage to the gearbox internals

teh_mechanic
22-02-2008, 04:37 PM
the oil was pretty expensive.$110 for 5 litres if i remember correctly.and it said on the bottle '1 million km life,never change again'.that scared me.dont know what they are talking about but no oil can last like that,especially under the high pressure experienced in a gearbox.....im with markoJEK1 on this one,its great oil,but it should be changed 20000kms or so

45SET
22-02-2008, 06:29 PM
45SET said redline is good " LIKE HOT KNIFE THROUGH BUTTER"

that was before it was it was "like a hot knife throught butter"... the butter being my gearbox.

My new gearbox runs on OEM... and no it wasn't my driving style that killed the gearbox... it was what was in it. After discussing with my mechanic (who races a DC5r) the Shockproof has little particals in it. Over time these tend to bond together, causing "chunks" of stuff... and yeah... chunks of stuff in your gearbox isn't a good thing. (the basics of what my mechanic told me)

I am very fussy with my car, and change engine oil every 5k KM, and gearbox oil every 20k KM.

To tell you the truth, the 2nd gear crunch is a flaw in the DC5r, short of getting your gearbox rebuilt (which i have done) there is no fix for it.

If you would wish to discuss this more (anyone reading this), please feel free to PM me and I can discuss it more if you would like.

Thanks

45SET

Dr.k20z1
23-02-2008, 11:51 PM
+ a note on 45SET's notes.. what i did to get rid of the crunching and noises from gearbox and clutch was.. sprayed wd40 where it was making the noise.. and it got rid of all the crunching and everything!

i think the gearbox is just gettin dry of oils and grease.. thats personally what i think..

so no fix of crunching? i say just keep spraying it with wd40! hehe.. if it comes back.. spray it more.. if u got an injen its easy to spray into the gearbox!

my 2c

hui
24-02-2008, 12:18 AM

agree :thumbsup:

oconnor
24-02-2008, 10:45 AM
I apologise if i was a bit blunt but look at the above posts, its a good example about the problems of hear/say. :thumbdwn:

:thumbsup: no probs, I see what you mean champ

bennjamin
24-02-2008, 11:02 AM
+ a note on 45SET's notes.. what i did to get rid of the crunching and noises from gearbox and clutch was.. sprayed wd40 where it was making the noise.. and it got rid of all the crunching and everything!

i think the gearbox is just gettin dry of oils and grease.. thats personally what i think..

so no fix of crunching? i say just keep spraying it with wd40! hehe.. if it comes back.. spray it more.. if u got an injen its easy to spray into the gearbox!

my 2c

you sprayed WD40 into your gearbox ? :thumbdwn:

OR do you mean, you sprayed into the FRONT of teh gearbox (where teh rubber boot is) into the clutch housing ?
Your problem is the release bearing is shot and needs replacement.
fix it

Dr.k20z1
24-02-2008, 02:22 PM
sorry im noob at the gearbox's hahah yeah the front! release bearing? mm.. how much wud that be.. :( i hope it isnt much.. cos im so broke.. haha thanks for letting me know beno

+ where can i get it done?and the part for it?

cheerss

edit.. i know u said that its that.. but ever since i put wd40 in no gear problems nothing.. all gears are real smooth and go in fine.. before that.. it was shocking.. so yeah.