PDA

View Full Version : what gearbox oil???

wolf
28-08-2004, 09:26 AM
well i checked my gearbox oil because im hearing that screeching noise you tend to get when the oil starts to run low and found that i had automatic transmission fluid in it, now after calling the mechanic i use he said that is because thats the oil you use on those japanese front wheel drv cars bla bla bla (i personally am never going back to that mechaninc) but i was wondering if n e of thats true? are you supposed to use the thicker stuff or the thin crap thats in there? i gots a 93 eg hatch btw d13b lol go the breeze

smoknhothonda
28-08-2004, 09:42 AM
Well I do know that some model manual falcons and commodores do use auto trans fluid in manual gearboxes.

I have a 95 2.2L VTEC accord and the oil specified for my gearbox is 10W-40 10W-30 engine oil....

MrPlow
28-08-2004, 12:07 PM
use engine oil ... synthetic stuff works best i was told because its more slippery!

wolf
28-08-2004, 12:20 PM
yeah i searched in the tech threads and found some info but out of curiousity auto trans fluid definatly wouldnt do the job? cause i already bought some mtf stuff that castrol recomends for my car its thin stuff probebly the same as engine oil just a shit load morse expencive lol

JSL
28-08-2004, 12:25 PM
yeah i searched in the tech threads and found some info but out of curiousity auto trans fluid definatly wouldnt do the job? cause i already bought some mtf stuff that castrol recomends for my car its thin stuff probebly the same as engine oil just a shit load morse expencive lol

Or you can find something called Castrol Syntrax Only synthetic transmition oil that you can get locally pretty easy..

Weq
28-08-2004, 01:45 PM
dude, what car do u have? go upt the honda dealer spare parts and grab some proper MTF. i mean FFS, its ur gearbox! it will cost u ~13 for a 1L bottle.

PhatSol
28-08-2004, 04:59 PM
dude, what car do u have? go upt the honda dealer spare parts and grab some proper MTF. i mean FFS, its ur gearbox! it will cost u ~13 for a 1L bottle.

Read above, he drives a breeze. But i agree, go to your Honda dealer. Its cheap enough :)

SPEEDCORE
28-08-2004, 07:13 PM
Look personally I would not use engine oil.......

PLEASE do not fool yourselves! MTF is engine oil but with other additives and such which make it suitable to use in your transmission, it is NOT straight oil for your crankcase.

As for using synthetic motor oil because it is "slippery", this is not true. From what many people have experienced.... it is too slippery, and grinding is evident even with fresh oil.

Funny this thread came up today cause I changed it in the G/F's EK........ did not use MTF this time as a trial run of castrol VMX80...... so far it seems to be performing better than the last time I did the gearbox oil with MTF..... alot better.

PhatSol
28-08-2004, 07:56 PM
Just out of intrest, has anyone tried Redline MTL?

.::F[L]Y::.
28-08-2004, 09:41 PM
redline or motul is good i think...jus abit expensive but a mate of mine used redline and he npticed a big difference

ECU-MAN
28-08-2004, 09:47 PM
Look personally I would not use engine oil.......

PLEASE do not fool yourselves! MTF is engine oil but with other additives and such which make it suitable to use in your transmission, it is NOT straight oil for your crankcase.

As for using synthetic motor oil because it is "slippery", this is not true. From what many people have experienced.... it is too slippery, and grinding is evident even with fresh oil.

Funny this thread came up today cause I changed it in the G/F's EK........ did not use MTF this time as a trial run of castrol VMX80...... so far it seems to be performing better than the last time I did the gearbox oil with MTF..... alot better.

5 years ago honda never had MTF, so it was FEO in manual gearboxes, never posed a problem.

SPEEDCORE
29-08-2004, 11:09 AM
Oh I'm not denying that fact.... the point of the matter is that people have experienced problems with putting 10w-30 grade engine oil (not FEO) into their honda transmissions.

Who knows..... maybe honda ordered FEO to be made in such a way that is was a universal lubricant for their cars, from engine to transmission.

There was even speculation at one stage that when Honda MTF first came out that it was just rebottled FEO (which would not surprise me).

Interestingly enough... you now see Honda MTF "Plus".

ECU-MAN
29-08-2004, 06:16 PM
hahhaa. I heard that as well about MTF when it came out. scary thing is I think it was true, got no proof though. back in the mid 90's FEO was made My Ampol to Honda Australia's sprecifications. I was told that it took Ampol 6 or so attempts to meet Hondas specifications after testing before production could commence. back then I think FEO was 10w30 as well then thay changed it to 20w40 and this posed issues when used in Manual Boxes, so MTF was born. then they changed the name of FEO to HMO now its back to FEO, some where between all that FEO-R was introdeced and then canned and where back to plain old FEO.

BlitZ
27-09-2004, 07:17 AM
10w-30 engine oil should be fine..
its whats recommended,.

SiR JDM
27-09-2004, 02:09 PM
I was told to put engine oil ONLY by my mechanic just the other week.. and hes a pretty reputable mechaninc here in melb

ECU-MAN
27-09-2004, 04:04 PM
I was told to put engine oil ONLY by my mechanic just the other week.. and hes a pretty reputable mechaninc here in melb
Honda MTF is what yur should be putting in as your 1st options then FEO if you cant get MTF

civic_99
27-09-2004, 11:29 PM
just use engine oil same shit

civic_99
27-09-2004, 11:31 PM
read ur honda manual it says u can use engine oil

BlitZ
28-09-2004, 07:14 AM
mind u this is hodna specific here..
GPC uses only mobile 1 .. and only in hondas...

ECU-MAN
28-09-2004, 09:11 AM
just remember MTF is now 70w80, feo is 10W30, both are suitable for pre 2000 cars

FANATK
01-10-2004, 01:21 PM
for manual boxes Castrol VMX 80

me n my bro use that

flipmods
03-10-2004, 01:59 AM
I don't know but I just went to buy some the other day at a spare parts place and they said only Honda sells that gearbox oil so I just went straight to honda and paid the extra, You never go wrong with the Honda stuff, might be a bit expensive but I am pretty sure they research the best stuff before putting their name on the line. (extra $15 won't kill you, but a new gearbox will) Just my thoughts. :)

Catcha
03-10-2004, 02:38 AM
Go Redline you can't go wrong..........