PDA

View Full Version : D16 in my car...$$$?

mytoycivic
28-08-2004, 05:14 PM
ok lets not talk about costs of the engine itself right now...plz!:)
i am wondering if anyone will be able to give me estimates on total costs of the engine conversion of a D16a8 into my ED civic sedan.
now, the engine already has:
- engine (of course)
- gearbox/tranny
- wiring loom (still in tact)
- ECU

what other things will i need and what will it cost me to put the engine in my car (professionally) BTW the engine is in pieces (ie taken apart) so it will need to be built as well...
anyone? now i mean costs includiung re-building of engine to suspension/brakes and engineers certificate.
cheers guys
Tim :D

mytoycivic
28-08-2004, 05:16 PM
oh BTW anyone know of anyone who has done THIS conversion...ie put the ZC/D16a8 into their ED?
contact details would be appreciated (pref. email)
:D

bennjamin
28-08-2004, 05:57 PM
Craig is your best free advice Tim....just picture his conversion...without most of the hassle lol - and a fair bit cheaper :)

Or...give charlie at Good performance a visit and ask in engrish...

mytoycivic
28-08-2004, 09:54 PM
yep cheers!

primus
03-09-2004, 03:59 AM
Any answers?

mytoycivic
04-09-2004, 07:59 PM
i went to good performance today...spoke to charlie...to get everything done (incl. engine costs) will cost me $4250
thats bloody brilliant...if you consider that includes ALL engine components re-build and new components inluding computer, new shafts, CVs, AND rear discs from EF CRX!!!

bennjamin
04-09-2004, 08:39 PM
thats the mighty d16 engine all rebuilt blah blah installed ? ....so....take it :D:D:D

Setanta
04-09-2004, 08:55 PM
heheh - rear disks from a EF Civic/CRX are the same as the disks from a Aussie ED9 CRX... but it's still a good mod. You need to up the front disks too as they do more work than the rears.

Great price though and I've heard good stuff about Charlie. Time to go to it mate :)

mytoycivic
04-09-2004, 10:51 PM
actually i think it is from an ED9...my bad :( ah well so u think good go?

AUSVTEC
04-09-2004, 10:54 PM
Go for it tim, that sounds like a good deal mate. :thumbsup:
you should look into new disks as setanta said front and back. They make a big difference.
:)

mytoycivic
04-09-2004, 11:16 PM
ill go 4 back first...to pass blue slip
dont need engo cert. as it is australian made engine and only 100cc bigger than stock
YAY!!! :D happy man

Setanta
05-09-2004, 12:37 AM
ED9s, EF8s, EF9s, EE8s and EE9s all use the same rear disks (as do the Si EFs), so all should be good. :) Engine is only 100cc bigger - but it's output is 1/3 again over the existing motor - what does that do to engineering?

egSi
05-09-2004, 08:43 AM
****ing awesome man!!! 4grand that sounds too cheap for all the work your gettin done!!!!! lucky man!!

let us know how it goes, there are SOME people around here that DO love the D!! ;)

mytoycivic
05-09-2004, 09:38 AM
:D cheers

setanta...doesnt matter...charlie at GP centre told me that the RTA regs say that, if you upgrade your car to 15% bigger than stock engine in your car, then you dont need need an engineers certificate...PROVIDING the engine was BUILT IN AUSTRALIA!!!

you need to make sure that all the standard features that came with the gen 2 crx go on the car you are converting...for blue slip purposes :) this includes the rear discs...front discs are the same size in mine as they are in the crx! i plan to get some Green Stuff pads and probably some better caliper and get the front rotors machined

what u guys think???

i have it all planned out to do in late jan/early feb 2005! wish me luck ppl! :honda: D16a8 ED sedan will own!

Weq
05-09-2004, 03:57 PM
have u investigated how much an already swapped ED will cost u? im sure u could grab a b16a swapped one for under 8k. i think it would be a better option to sell ur current, and by something already swapped....

just some food for thought...?

Rufes1
05-09-2004, 04:01 PM
Why do you need to pass a blue slip?

mytoycivic
05-09-2004, 06:44 PM
Why do you need to pass a blue slip?

because i am changing the engine to a different one so it has to pass blue slip for rego purposes..

have u investigated how much an already swapped ED will cost u? im sure u could grab a b16a swapped one for under 8k. i think it would be a better option to sell ur current, and by something already swapped....

yes but with doing it myself...although it is going to cost me (slightly) more, i know what has 'been done' and that i wont have to do anything to it...

no offence to anyone out there selling an ED with D16/B16 in their car but i wouldn't trust the car and maybe the work that had been done. not because it may not have been a good job, only because i didnt see it done thats all...

i would rather spend the extra couple of $Gs doing it myself and knowing what is being done, exactly, rather than potentially jump into somone elses problems...

so yeh i have thought about it a lot, but nah i think i will stick with the swap on my li'l beast...for my own peace of mind!!!

also the self satisfaction of doing something yourself is worth it so much don't you think people???
:D :honda:

bennjamin
05-09-2004, 07:08 PM
*agrees*

bring on another D solider :D:D:D

mytoycivic
05-09-2004, 07:17 PM
yeh u would agree benn!!! seeing as how i am buying the engine from you ;) just kiddin

Weq
05-09-2004, 11:05 PM
i agree with the DIY approach, but ur not, lol :P
na i mean, yeah u have peace of mind, no probs, but its defaintly an investment which u dont get returns on. basically im saying, be committed to the D once u swap, selling isnt an option!

That said, i can see a turbod on the horizon :P

in other news, what made u pic the D instead of the B? did u get a quote on a B swap? how much? and did u mean they are rebulding the a8? if so, why not kick in another $500-1k and get her built for a lil boost?

egSi
06-09-2004, 07:26 AM
yeah another D bro thats what im talking about!! :D

mytoycivic
06-09-2004, 09:14 AM
i agree with the DIY approach, but ur not, lol :P
na i mean, yeah u have peace of mind, no probs, but its defaintly an investment which u dont get returns on. basically im saying, be committed to the D once u swap, selling isnt an option!

That said, i can see a turbod on the horizon :P

well i know i am not doing the conversion in my own garage but i am still geting it done to my own wants and needs...
and selling...hell no...i wouldnt dream of selling it once it was swapped, its just not going to be an option...thats the whole point of swapping it, so i can keep it for years to come :D

in other news, what made u pic the D instead of the B? did u get a quote on a B swap? how much? and did u mean they are rebulding the a8? if so, why not kick in another $500-1k and get her built for a lil boost?

so you think it wouldnt be much more than 500-1k for the engine to be set up for boost? i dont know...i dont really (at this point) want to get into all that! i mean the only reason is because of insurance really...i wont be able to afford the insurance if i go and turbo it...and i wont be turboing any car till i am 25...thats all...so it would be pointless to go and set that all up for 7 years time...may as well do it then if i still have the car...which i prob will :D

but a good suggestion none-the-less...thanks Weq

BTW...how much more would insurance be with a turbo??? because my brother has a Nissan 180sx with the SR20DET and its like $2500p.a. full comp...

egSi
06-09-2004, 10:02 AM
just get some bolt ons for your d16 dude, you might need boost quite yet ;)

tinkerbell
06-09-2004, 11:35 AM
charlie at GP centre told me that the RTA regs say that, if you upgrade your car to 15% bigger than stock engine in your car, then you dont need need an engineers certificate...PROVIDING the engine was BUILT IN AUSTRALIA!!!

when did honda open a factory in Australia? LOL!

BTW - what you say that charlie said is completely wrong.

the rules are that as long as the engine was 'australian delivered' and less than 15% bigger in capacity then no need for engineers certificate...

Mr. Focus
06-09-2004, 11:46 AM
yeah another D bro thats what im talking about!! :D

i'll second that!!! bring on the 'D' :wave:

Weq
06-09-2004, 12:37 PM
well i know i am not doing the conversion in my own garage but i am still geting it done to my own wants and needs...
and selling...hell no...i wouldnt dream of selling it once it was swapped, its just not going to be an option...thats the whole point of swapping it, so i can keep it for years to come :D

so you think it wouldnt be much more than 500-1k for the engine to be set up for boost? i dont know...i dont really (at this point) want to get into all that! i mean the only reason is because of insurance really...i wont be able to afford the insurance if i go and turbo it...and i wont be turboing any car till i am 25...thats all...so it would be pointless to go and set that all up for 7 years time...may as well do it then if i still have the car...which i prob will :D

but a good suggestion none-the-less...thanks Weq

BTW...how much more would insurance be with a turbo??? because my brother has a Nissan 180sx with the SR20DET and its like $2500p.a. full comp...
The reason ur brothers insurance is so high is because he has an import. Insurance depends on where u live and u should ring up for a quote. It all depends on NCB and location. I pay under 1800(21, full comp, rating 4). I dont see u getting it for much less with a swapped engine.

mytoycivic
06-09-2004, 10:16 PM
when did honda open a factory in Australia? LOL!

BTW - what you say that charlie said is completely wrong.

the rules are that as long as the engine was 'australian delivered' and less than 15% bigger in capacity then no need for engineers certificate...

yer i think thats what i was getting at :D but thanks for cleaning that up for me...
BTW Weq i know insurance is going to cost a bit more but not a whole lot more as this engine came in the ED...i still have to check it out though

Weq
06-09-2004, 10:29 PM
just to clarify, are they going to rebuild the D for u?

mytoycivic
06-09-2004, 10:39 PM
oh yeh everything exept piston rings...
and i need an external fuel pump...also it is going to cost a bit more with the eg ECU and dizzy, loom etc as i think he has to re-route it all

Weq
06-09-2004, 10:49 PM
u need an electrical fuel pump.. grab a walbro, pretty cheap off US ebay.
u need an EFI conversion so its all part of the process..
if its all accept piston rings, they arnt doing anything hardcore... well apart from a full gasket kit (which cant be a bad thing...) but they arnt going to rework the crank, clean up the cylinders n stuff.. still decent.

mytoycivic
06-09-2004, 11:07 PM
just cleaning the engine generally...no intense stuff...just enough that it will last the next 100k with the regular oil and filter change and occasional filter(s) changed :D

i think its pretty decent, when that INCLUDES the rear discs...
+++ i will get money for parts from my D15 (hint, hint) when i take it out in february

so including the engine rebuild...installation blah blah plus rear discs, prob machine front rotors and new pads...plus upgrade suspension prob looking at just over the 5k mark and then i will have a (pretty much) brand new car