PDA

View Full Version : Loud bearing/road noise sound from rear left wheel

Moya
25-02-2008, 11:37 AM
Just recently I had Teg DC2 rear brakes fitted on my EG. Wanted to get rid of the dodgy drums.

Since then, there's a very loud (specially at highway) bearing/grinding sound coming from the rear left wheel.

I'm not sure what is involved with the swap (handbrake cable, Hub assemblies, Brake lines??) so I'm not sure if the donar car had the problem, or just a minor error when fitting (or maybe lazyness? didn't re-oil hub bearing?).

At 10-50KM/hr you can hear it, but at 80+ it gets really loud almost like a loud droning canon exhaust. It happens at full throttle or 0 throttle, also happens at all times (straight line, braking, cornering).

Any thoughts on what it could be?

Thanks

teh_mechanic
25-02-2008, 08:48 PM
your donor dc2 probably had a worn wheel bearing,so now you have a worn wheel bearing.sound like a drone and gets louder the faster you go.sure check everything else around the area but my bet is on wheel bearing.

if you jack the car up and spin the wheel you will hear a metalic grind sound.if so,then its time to change the bearing

destrukshn
25-02-2008, 08:51 PM
sounds like wheel bearing.
if the dc2 hub and bearing was sitting there for a while, in the rain and what not, it would ruin the bearing.

Moya
26-02-2008, 09:28 AM
Thanks guys appreciate it

Rough cost for replacing the wheel bearing at a shop? She needs a service too so I'll get them to do both.

destrukshn
26-02-2008, 10:31 AM
$50-100bucks at most.