PDA

View Full Version : Manual tranny conversion?

JohnnyBoy
24-10-2003, 01:56 PM
Hi guys,

i'm a little new here, but from what i can tell, this forum's pretty new too.. :P

anyways, what's a ball park figure for a 5th gen to get a conversion done from an auto to manual?

also, any recommendations for someone to do that type of work in Syd??

Cheers ppls.

Calvo
24-10-2003, 01:58 PM
if u speak to blaze, he's gettin a conversion done in his 4th gen, im sure he can give u a rough estimate on how much it would cost u for a 5th gen.
wat model 5th gen u got??
i got a manual 5th gen :D:D

JohnnyBoy
24-10-2003, 02:06 PM
i got a 94 VTI-S auto.. :(

bought it off my mum when she recently went out and bought a BMW..

So i know the engine and everything's in great knick. hasn't been in any accidents either..

and the only thrashing it's had was when i've taken it out for a spin.. :P

Oh, and the other gripe that i have with it is that it's burgundy.. eewww!!!

but beggars can't be chooser's i guess.. :(

Calvo
24-10-2003, 02:11 PM
haha yeh i bought mine off my mum aswell :D
its green tho, looks nice :P
where bouts in syd u from?

burgundy isnt that bad man!! u should see Poid's accord, ask him to show u a pic, or u can dig up a thread from ages ago with it in there. he's got a burgundy 5th gen, fkin phat aswell :D

JohnnyBoy
24-10-2003, 02:40 PM
i live down in Ultimo.. kinda between the fish markets and UTS..

yeah.. i guess.. burgundy's not too bad.. but still.. i would've much preferred a black or even the dark green.. :wink: is that what you've got??

Hmm.. Poid huh.. name rings a bell.. can't remember where from though.. anywho's..

My last car was a little 94 laser and that was manual.. sometimes i almost wish i still have that car.. scream up to a corner, throw it into 2nd, engine break, and slam the pedal and get all screwy coming out of da corner..

my GF use to hate the way i drove da laser.. she's much more content now, seeing can't throw around corner's as much.. :(

but then on other day's it's like, 'yeah.. i really ilke the whole leather interior, sunroof, power windows.'

i didn't dear putting a stereo in the laser, cause it was just so easy to break into.. but now it's all good.. thumping along, in my "going around corners at a snails pace Accord"

geez i can whinge can't i?? :P

Calvo
24-10-2003, 05:31 PM
haha
snails pace?? u obviously havent driven the car to the potential yet :D:D:D
but then again mines manual :P
which model 5th gen u got, the 94-95, or 95-96?
ive given a fair few cars a run for there money, and mines basicallt stock, just muffler, CAI and pod.

Poids a dude on these forums from canberra.

EDIT: ur accord would eat the sh!t outta a laser aswell

toE
25-10-2003, 12:03 AM
show us a pic of ur ride in the appearance forum johnnyboy...if you havent already...i've got a 94 EXi...manual :P

B|ade
25-10-2003, 10:04 AM
Hey man

You would probably be lookin at about $3000 for the conversion.

Give Honbits a call (they're in Sydney somewhere) and see if they've got your exact model manual tranny.

I'm pickin up mine from there for $1450 (including the gearbox, pedal box, cv joints, shifter assembly, etc, etc).

It's the labour thats gonna kill you man!

I'm sure you could find a place that'd do it for about $800

Just ask your mechanic if he can do it or knows neone that can!

JohnnyBoy
25-10-2003, 09:06 PM
Thanx boys.. You've all been very hospitable (spelling??)

Toe: yeah.. will pull out the camera 2morro morning and post up some pics.. let's hope the weather's good..

Calvo: Yeah.. i haven't pushed it hard at all. i just don't know.. don't feel quite at home handling the Accord compared to the Laser.. perhaps it's a bigger car, perhaps it's a longer and wider stance.. i just can't get "into" the car. Maybe i have'n't got the tyre pressure's right.. maybe cause it's not a manual?? Oh, BTW, it's the 94-95 model.

What muffler and CAI / pod you got in yours??

Yeah.. i was browing through the gallery section and i saw a pic of poid's.. pretty damn low.. mine scrapes at the moment when i leave my GF's driveway.. and i've tried every which angle, but it just doesn't help.. don't think i can go as low as poid's.. :?

Blade: where you from?? i didn't realise that cv joints need to be changed it's it's a manual conversion?? where you getting you're's done at??

Is there anything i need to be wary about if i was to do the conversion?? anything tricky?? cause i had a mate's friend do a conversion on a taurus, and apparently he hates it now.. i've never spoken to the guy personally, so i don't know details, but most people i speak with say don't convert it to a manual.. any good reason why not??

Calvo
25-10-2003, 09:12 PM
yeh once u get used to the car, it should go alrite, but mines manual. i find my dads auto is a bit sluggish (he's got the 96 5th gen Limited Ed). yeh i got 4 new tyres today and fk its so different, handles much better now and steerings so light.
i got a 3A Racing Muffler and Pod, and a Simota CAI. im actually selling a muffler in the for sale section which is the same as mine. take a look in the for sale section if ur interested.
hehe yeh poids accord is very low. think he said he just manages to put a coke can under it i think, cant remember wat he told me anymore. but yeh the accords r pretty low stock, im droppin mine bout 2in next mnth.

JohnnyBoy
25-10-2003, 09:42 PM
Hmm.. i'm gonna do a change of rims later.. trying to wear my rubber out more first.. i reckon i still got a good 20,000 kms on these set..

Though my GF's b'day's coming soon, and i book her and myself into the advance driving thing over at oran park. i tried my hardest, but they'll only let me do the level one.. Grrr...

so i'll see what's planned for that day.. and hopefully i'll wear that rubber out a bit, and then it'll be time to change rims..

What rim's has everyone got?? cause from the one's i've seen around, on other modded accords, most people tend to go for flat looking pretty plain one's with lot's of spokes..

Oh BTW, what's the biggest dimension rims i can fit in an accord without it rubbing or rolling guards, etc??

poid
25-10-2003, 11:00 PM
Nice to see another guy here :D

You'll be able to fit 18x8" rims (using 215/35 rubber, and rims that are +40 offset you'll have a few mm clearance between suspension and rims, and also guards and rims).

If you wanna go 19's, 19x8" rims using 215/35 rubber should also fit (not sure if they make rubber in that size though, they should) without guard mods. These rims will be a little larger than stock so will raise the car maybe 10mm or so. 19's may be a touch rough though.

The rims i have on are 18x8" Lenso Algis.

B|ade
26-10-2003, 04:43 PM
Generally you should only go over about 2 inches (rim size) from stock ... I reckon 17s or 18s would be perfect.

I've got 17 x 7.5 on mine and theyre ****in nice

Man, the cv joins on the manual are abit shorter (I think). You wanna be pickin up the manual cv joints cause its a ****in costly experience to shorten them (So I've been told anyway!).

Man, check out my website if you wanna see pics/details of/about my car:

www.accordturbo.com

I'm gonna get it done at Croydon Racing Developments in Silverwaters cause they are the guys that did my turbo setup and will be doin all my other performance work! You pay abit more man but you get your money's worth, the job that they do is excellent.

PIN01S
26-10-2003, 10:22 PM
hey blade i think i know the plce u talkin bout in silverwater cuz i work round that area... they do auto to maual conversions?.... i gotta check it out and get a quote... ohh u guys dun know me im new in this forum i drive a 94 gen 5 accord (dark green) EXi (bummer) all ive done to it is a sound system and some ricey stuff like neons...lol..

B|ade
26-10-2003, 10:35 PM
Yea theyre in Silverwater man

Well, they generally just do performance work but can do anything!

If I were you, I'd ask your mechanic if he could do it, or find a tranny place (have a look in the yellow pages) and give em a call.