PDA

View Full Version : ED acceleration problems

kwayzivietnamese
29-08-2004, 09:09 AM
Hey ppl,
just wondering abit here...wen i open my throttle only abit in any gear...like under 2000, the car hesitates sometimes to go, like as if fuel is not comming in evenly and so causes the car to jerk abit sometimes...but if i open the throttle to max, it seems the fuel goes evenly and smoothly...its just down low that the car seems to have moments of "blanks" (no fuel going in so it tries to cut then go...)
And because of this, from a stationary start, the girl sometimes stalls on me if i dont feed it enough throttle...
Any help? :confused:

mytoycivic
29-08-2004, 09:17 AM
fuel pump may be an issue...i had same problem a while back and this sorted it out...
also you may have dirt in ur carbies, which can cause the same problem (sometimes)
try getting a carby cleaner (or 2) and see how it runs then because if ur engine is trying to burn dirt then it may do that 'jerk' movement.
one other thing may be water...ur engine can't burn water so it may be sucking a bit up and coughing as it cant burn it.

BTW do u run ur engine all the way to empty? because i find that with these old carby engines if there is dirt/water in the tank, running it all the way to empty will suck up all that sh!t and it wont be a pleasant drive

what i do with my ED is i make it that 1/4 of a tank is empty so i dont get all the sh!t from the bottom of my fuel tank

ur best bet may be to get a mech to check out ur fuel pump...maybe ur fuel filter and sparkies just to be sure
:)

Setanta
29-08-2004, 09:28 AM
Fuel pump, fuel filter (replace this first, it's cheaper) Distributor cap and rotor button (was an issue with my old ED at about 170K kms) - carby-cleaner can't hurt either.

kwayzivietnamese
29-08-2004, 01:36 PM
But the thing is i just had a major service which did the sparkers, fuel filter and all dat kinda stuff...like i did it under 2k ago...

mytoycivic
29-08-2004, 03:35 PM
try fuel pump

ECU-MAN
29-08-2004, 06:44 PM
the pistons in the carbys can get a bit sticky, cleaning them and a nice lube should sort them out. also like Setanta said, distributor cap and rotor button, even leads. thiese things can get overlooked in a major service

Rufes1
29-08-2004, 10:37 PM
Yes, def look at the needles in the carbies sticking, is a common problem in the ed's.
also give the carbies a good clean out with carby cleaner, can be a bit hard cause of the side draft nature but can be done.

kwayzivietnamese
30-08-2004, 07:04 PM
the pistons in the carbys can get a bit sticky, cleaning them and a nice lube should sort them out. also like Setanta said, distributor cap and rotor button, even leads. thiese things can get overlooked in a major service

How am i to clean the pistons in the carbys? Is there like a fluid i buy n put sumwhere? sorry im abit lost n new to honda engines...

ECU-MAN
30-08-2004, 10:16 PM
when looking at your carbyz youl notice there is a cylinder on each carby held down with two screws, carefully undo the screws and gently lift the cylinder cap off. watch the o ring, make sure you don't tare it, lift out the piston ( pay attention to how it comes out ) clean it with carby cleaner and clean the carby as well as the cylinder the piston floats in, give the piston a light coat of thin oil ( wont last long but helps ) and put it back in the way your took it out, make sure it moves freely in its housing and its clean. put the cylinder back on making sure the seal is ok and in place, do the same for the other carb and you should be right.

kwayzivietnamese
31-08-2004, 06:57 PM
Hehe for same strange reason today the car fixed itself.
I just took it on the m5 changing at 4 in each gear and sticking at 150km/h in fifth gear for quite a while...padstow to kingsgrove.
After this, i think i stretched the engines legs abit...hehe the old gal prob hasnt had a stretch for a long time if not never...but damn, after that pull, the car revs better n smoother, and it actually reaches redline alot quicker now as well! Haha :D I may say, my car is probably a virgin n has neva been thrashed... :p
Thanks for the input guys!

ECU-MAN
31-08-2004, 07:15 PM
its amazing what a good thrashing can do :)