PDA

View Full Version : Service or Not to Service B4 trackday??

Riced_Civic
26-02-2008, 07:34 PM
im not sure if i should service my car B4 a track day cos its gonna be up for a service the next week anyways.

should just changing the break fluid and engine oil be enough for a track day??

EuroAccord13
26-02-2008, 07:52 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24579

A few pointers :)

Riced_Civic
26-02-2008, 08:24 PM
yeah ive read it, im just trying to see if its worth having 2 major services in 1 month casue of a track day..

bennjamin
26-02-2008, 08:29 PM
No. Just do 2 minor services before and after your track day.

That is , change the oil , oil filter and possibly brake fluid.
These will be worn out after a hard day at the track !

SHOGUNOVDDRK
26-02-2008, 08:29 PM
yeah ive read it, im just trying to see if its worth having 2 major services in 1 month casue of a track day..

its really your call...

If it were me (which i plan to do a track day this year)

I would be doing a before and after service...

Why?

To ensure damage isnt too severe (Driving an older car and all) aswell to be on the sure side :thumbsup:

If money isnt that flash then i guess not a good idea (though it should have been factored into cost for track day) but imho my vote is yes do both services :thumbsup:

aaronng
26-02-2008, 09:30 PM
If it was me, I'd service before the track day and then after track day, change the engine oil and filter once more.

AKmotorworks
27-02-2008, 01:03 AM
Before and After Dan, the way we do ours, so you can be 100% sure everything is ok afterwards aswell ;)

e240
27-02-2008, 11:51 AM
Just do it once before should be fine and then service the next time as scheduled. Unless you're going to be doing 100 odd laps at full bore all the time, it really won't make much of a difference.

you just need to make sure you use a good synthetic oil.

aaronng
27-02-2008, 12:10 PM
Just do it once before should be fine and then service the next time as scheduled. Unless you're going to be doing 100 odd laps at full bore all the time, it really won't make much of a difference.

you just need to make sure you use a good synthetic oil.

I used Motul 8100, went to Winton and after that, the engine was running with reduced power. It was also just a k24a with a lower redline compared to a B or k20a. Changed out the oil and it came out black and thick (oil doing its job catching/cleaning carbon). So I'd still change oil after trackday and not wait for the next service interval.

fatboyz39
27-02-2008, 01:17 PM
reduce power? How can you prove that?

Agree with E240, service the car before the trackday.

aaronng
27-02-2008, 01:25 PM
reduce power? How can you prove that?

Agree with E240, service the car before the trackday.

Butt dyno. My butt dyno is numb, but if I can notice a difference, then it is probably about 10-15kW's worth. To compare, I put an intake on and I felt ZERO difference. That is how numb my butt is.

Riced_Civic
27-02-2008, 05:07 PM
ok thanx guys i guess ill do 2 services just to be safe

aaronng
27-02-2008, 06:13 PM
ok thanx guys i guess ill do 2 services just to be safe

Also, if you push hard or ride the brakes a lot during the track day, it would be a very good idea to give the brakes a little bleeding after the trackday. You don't have to change all the fluid, but just enough to push out the overheated fluid in the caliper.

Riced_Civic
27-02-2008, 06:30 PM
kool thanx aaronng

fatboyz39
27-02-2008, 06:34 PM
brake pedal usually comes back after a day or 2.

e240
28-02-2008, 10:15 PM
I used Motul 8100, went to Winton and after that, the engine was running with reduced power. It was also just a k24a with a lower redline compared to a B or k20a. Changed out the oil and it came out black and thick (oil doing its job catching/cleaning carbon). So I'd still change oil after trackday and not wait for the next service interval.

I don't know what you do man...But I change my oil once every 2 Supersprints/Trackdays (Which are like a month apart) and it still comes out clean, and I run my car pretty hard + there's all that street mileage as well. Pulled the engine after a year of competition, its still very clean and healthy.

But, I've never been impressed with Motul :-p Never liked that oil, good when fresh and after a little bit, gets rough pretty early on. On my Civic, I run either Mobil 1 5w-50 or Redline 15w-50, my 2 other cars, its shell ultra 5w-40.

BlitZ
29-02-2008, 08:24 AM
fark oath u service car before track day.

Especially if its due for service the week after...

BlitZ
29-02-2008, 08:32 AM
brake pedal usually comes back after a day or 2.

but it will never be the same ever again ahahah..

Its like a cherry.. once its popped it aint as sweet, even with recovery

NAY
07-03-2008, 05:52 PM
Yeah do it before for sure.

Wouldn't worry to much about after. Maybe take a 1000km off before your next service.

I had an old dodgy toyota 'race car', put some cheap $20 oil in at the start of the season, did 60km a night for about 8 meets over the year. Regularly overheated every session for about the first 4. Never had a drama. 3 years later someone else still owns the car and it still attends track sprints, hillclimbs and motorkhana's on a regular basis. Think it might have had one oil change since then. Oil always looked good too.

Sure not quite as high tech as a honda, but revving an 25 year old pushrod toyota engine with poorly tuned sidedraft carbs to 7500rpm is my evidence :)

Drew
07-03-2008, 09:05 PM
Def. service before hand; get the logbook service done before...

Change oil and filter and if needed brake fluid after