PDA

View Full Version : static noise need advice

r-r-redEuro
27-02-2008, 07:24 PM
Ive got some static or fuzzy noise when i turn my sound system on, once volume goes about 1/3 - the music overtakes the static, but anything under that i can hear the static noise, is there any way of getting rid of it ?

btw im not using a headunit its x2 subs + x2amps+ x2 6x9 + x2 6 1/2" splits on the stock headunit, installation people who did for me said you cant get rid of it unlesss you use a headunit and my friend agreed.

i got a feeling they are saying that and being dodgy and did a the earthing poorly.

So is it possible to get rid of the static noise without using a headunit ? i even bought this expensive converter to get rid of the engine noise and static (LC6) that set me back $285, i got rid of the engine noise but still static :S

advice please
thanks, from the noob peter.

Limbo
27-02-2008, 07:56 PM
if you spent $285 on a converter why not buy a headunit.
You can get one for under $300.

ANyway, you usually need to set a good earth on your stock headunit. Put a fresh earth and also use a thicker wire than what is currently there. Also make sure the engine is properly earthed.

r-r-redEuro
27-02-2008, 08:15 PM
if you spent $285 on a converter why not buy a headunit.
You can get one for under $300.

ANyway, you usually need to set a good earth on your stock headunit. Put a fresh earth and also use a thicker wire than what is currently there. Also make sure the engine is properly earthed.

i guess, im pretty sure i got thick wires. my mate goes they are really thick, and i didnt just want aheadunit, if i wanted an aftermarket unit it has to be a screen, doubledin. which im saving up for later. lol

but is it possible to lose the static/fuzzy noise without leaning towards the path of using a headunit and using the stock euro headunit ?

solitz
27-02-2008, 08:21 PM
u also check the earthing points on the amps themselves? also are the RCA cables running next to the speaker wires themselves? (normally they run RCA on one side of the car the speaker cables on the opposite side)...thats a common form of interference that is heard through the speakers

r-r-redEuro
27-02-2008, 08:39 PM
okay thanks for that, do you guys know a good audio place to go to so they can get my car checked out, the place i went to i think they are so dodgey i dont wanan go back.

EuroDude
27-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Its the Stock head unit causing the noise. Mine has the same hiss. Reason being its a BTL audio system that uses a balanced (opposite) + and - to power the speakers, instead of + and 0volts like a normal sony/kenwood/etc.. head unit.

In a totally stock euro, you cannot hear the noise. Once you add an Amplifier, the noise is present. I tried many things including a noise filter, it helped but the sound quality suffered.

I believe you can get a BTL->unbalanced converter now, some TSX owners are using them.

r-r-redEuro
28-02-2008, 12:46 AM
Its the Stock head unit causing the noise. Mine has the same hiss. Reason being its a BTL audio system that uses a balanced (opposite) + and - to power the speakers, instead of + and 0volts like a normal sony/kenwood/etc.. head unit.

In a totally stock euro, you cannot hear the noise. Once you add an Amplifier, the noise is present. I tried many things including a noise filter, it helped but the sound quality suffered.

I believe you can get a BTL->unbalanced converter now, some TSX owners are using them.

Thanks for your help, what did you end up doing ? getting a headunit ? or still have that static noise ? hmm if its no hassle to you, can you give me some info about that BTL-> unbalanced converter ?

In kind regards peter,

tron07
28-02-2008, 07:25 AM
Hi red,
where you get you installs.... pm me and we can have a mini meet and I can see what sort of improvement can be done to your setup.... it could be your gains set to high, thus amplifing all the noise from the HU. Or the SNR from the HU is not good enough.

EuroDude
28-02-2008, 08:13 AM
If you set the gains to very low, you can still hear the hiss/static noise but its not as loud, but then the max volume will be too low.

The hiss stays at a constant volume no matter what Volume the HU is set to. When you play music above Volume 7, the music floods the hiss and becomes inaudible. Unless you pause the music.

There is a possible fix by attaching capacitors to the head units' speaker wires but I havent tried it. Read what mercman has to say:
http://www.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=374853

tron07
28-02-2008, 10:09 AM
attaching caps will filter out the high frequency... loss of details...

EuroDude
28-02-2008, 10:27 AM
It depends on the uF of the Caps, plus the caps wont be inline, they will be attached between the + and - of the speaker wires.

What you basically need to do is use a cap to stop the HU from creating noise by introducing a small amount of load onto the speaker wires.

r-r-redEuro
28-02-2008, 08:48 PM
the thing is i dont want to add a headunit in i like the stock look :( and tron i'll pm you VERY SOON about having a mini meet so you can check it out for me, and also eurodude you wanna check it for me as well =P we can do a " double "group buy of ANYTHING to fix this hiss/static noise

EuroDude
28-02-2008, 09:20 PM
I'm not really bothered by the hiss anymore so i'm not fussed about resolving it at this point. But if I find a fix I'll let u know.

A Line Filter (or perhaps a pre-amp?) will work, but you need to buy a decent one that wont introduce other noises (the cheap one I got for $50 removed almost all the hiss but caused slight static popping at mid-high volume).

Are you using the stock speaker wires as the audio input for your Amp(s)? Or do you have a high level -> low level (RCA) converter that plugs into the CD Changer port?

tron07
29-02-2008, 08:17 AM
Using a david navone LOC should be able to solve the problem, but then you already got Audio Control device, and AC stuffs are usually pretty good quality. I have their line driver last time.

RtN
05-03-2008, 12:29 AM
Hey!! I've got a similar problem too! hmm where the static stays constant volume and has the noise when either the Head Unit turns on/off and also when disc changes, etc! But yes when the volume is turned up.. it drowns the static!

tron07
05-03-2008, 09:07 AM
thats probably the floor noise being pick up by the RCA and amplified... try lowering the gains.

r-r-redEuro
06-03-2008, 07:30 PM
well my problem is, the static is only on when the volume is on 1 - 7, anything above that overrides the static, when i turn it down to 0 no static. or off, when i change cds i think it stops hveant noticed. but im getting used to it now.

RtN
06-03-2008, 09:38 PM
Oh haha I've solved my problems.. it was just the gains were way too high... haveyou tried it yet mate?

EuroDude
07-03-2008, 09:09 AM
Turning down the Amp's Gains lowered the hiss, but you lose high volume.

Basically you need to set it so when the head unit is set to VOL 35/40, the amp should be at its loudest volume that your ears can take, or the maximum Volume you want your system to be capable of.

Limbo
07-03-2008, 12:37 PM
Dsire for sound did my system no issues

r-r-redEuro
08-03-2008, 08:23 PM
hmm, i dont know how to tune my system, i havent tried how loud the sound system can go, once it goes past 13 with windows up my eyes start to hurt, with windows down when it goes past 17 it starts to hurt. lol

its.not.ali
09-03-2008, 01:23 PM
i had the same problem, and turned my gains down... the gain just amplifies the signals sensitivity... doesnt crank out more power!! it just gets a lot louder at a lower headunit volume...

by using the full volume control (0-100%), you will eliminate hissing...

set your gains appropriately and you will notice the difference!!

i had my max volume at like 30 and had hissing...
now my max volume goes to 50 and no hissing...

EuroDude
10-03-2008, 08:57 AM
^ no, that is a different hiss problem.

The hiss you are taking about is when the Gain on the Amp is too high, where the hiss gets louder when you turn up the volume.

The hiss the Euro (and possible the new Civic) have is a hiss that does NOT get louder when the volume is changed. The hiss is audible even at Volume 1. There is no hiss at Volume 0. If your Gains are too high on the Amp, the hiss is louder, but changing the Radio volume doesn't change the hiss volume.
The DC2 and other honda's dont have this problem.

mr İharisma
10-03-2008, 03:41 PM
Yeah the Mazda 3's have this problem as well. Its from the headunit. Most people just put up with it. I would be interested to hear from someone who has a RF 3sixty.1 or .2 to see if it has the same problem as the LC6. Normal low level converters always do it... :(

cutchorama
17-03-2008, 01:38 PM
I have had this exact same issue for a while now. I am powering to 12" subs, splits and 6×9s from 2 amps and the stock headunit. My LOC is also the Audio control LC6.

I have been testing each part of my car thoroughly to get rid of the hiss.

Some interesting finds I have found:
Hiss is there even when car is not running (not caused by engine noise)

Plugging an alternative audio source (ipod) straight into the amp via RCA completely removes all hiss (hiss is induced BEFORE amps)

Disconnecting the LC6 and using the RCAs that are run down the side of my car for my alternative audio source (ipod) = Still no hiss :D

Running LC6i from my new aftermarket HU (infill G4) in the boot of my car powered from 240V with power inverter to 12V (So I'm not powering anything from my car battery except for my amps) and the hiss is there.

Therefor I assume my LC6 is producing noise. I want to use a Sven4 LOC to compare the 2 but I'm not sure how to wire the 4 speaker level input to 6 RCA output as the Sven4 only has 4 RCA out.

Anybody in Brisbane care to lend me any type of LOC to borrow :D

EuroDude
17-03-2008, 02:26 PM
So with the honda radio totally disconnected and using an aftermarket HU, you still have the hiss? That doesnt sound right :p

Im not using an LC6 or anything, but I still get the hiss. Im using the stock speaker wires directly from the honda radio as high level inputs into my amp.

I'm convinced its the honda radio causing the hiss since the hiss goes away when you change the Honda Radio volume to 0.

cutchorama
17-03-2008, 04:39 PM
Yes, even when running from a different HU the hiss is still there. Mind you the infill G4 does have a hardrive because it is a computer which might not produce the best sound quality. Nevertheless my hiss is still there and I urge rrred to try an alternative audio source. You can even run your ipod through the lc6 as it is speaker level output.

cutchorama
17-03-2008, 09:40 PM
Going through my audio, I was also thinking of other possible solutions. I don't totally understand the ground loop problem, but if the LC6 is using the same factory ground as the OEM HU, could this cause noise? If this is the cause, what would be the best way to test/ find a solution?

EuroDude
17-03-2008, 09:59 PM
Yeah to me it sounds possible. The honda radio uses a Balanced Tied Load system so noise surfacing after attaching aftermarket gear is probably expected.

tron07
18-03-2008, 09:03 AM
David Navone LOC... I thnk kiwi got it...

mr İharisma
20-03-2008, 02:54 PM
I wonder if the RF 3sixty filters the noise better? It is the same in the Mazda's as well, must be something to fix it :D

r-r-redEuro
20-03-2008, 03:34 PM
You can even run your ipod through the lc6 as it is speaker level output.

ARE YOU SERIOUS ?! COOL IM GOING TO PLAY WITH MY CAR NOW LOL

ive got close to no hiss ( its like JUST hearable with windwos up and on volume 1) as i tuned the system to lower gains but if i turn up the volume to about close to 15 its about half way power as before it was at 7 for half way. btw wheres your LC6 at mines in the boot, so its hard to play through ipod unless i do a playlist lol.

cutchorama
20-03-2008, 04:03 PM
Haha my lc6 is under my seat. Tonight I am going to power and earth my HU + LC6 + amps from the same point and see if there is hiss. If there is I will go out, buy a jaycar LOC (one that doesn't need power) and see if the hiss is still there :)

I can't wait to try it

mr İharisma
20-03-2008, 04:10 PM
Yes do let us know how it goes!

Dude you can use a Belkin in car ciggy adapter ( $35 ) and run a really long 3.5mm jack cable from the ciggy adapter to the LC6. Ipod sits up front with you, signal goes to get processed :)

ICACHA
20-03-2008, 08:17 PM
factory head unit is the piece of sh!t not the LOC's, but the only LOC that will get rid of the noise from the crap deck is the SVEN4, invest $130 into one of them and never look back... rest of the chat is not worth talking about, its just a fact that the head is crap and theres nothing you can do about it. lucky the euro is a bloody great car. :)

cutchorama
20-03-2008, 10:43 PM
factory head unit is the piece of sh!t not the LOC's, but the only LOC that will get rid of the noise from the crap deck is the SVEN4, invest $130 into one of them and never look back... rest of the chat is not worth talking about, its just a fact that the head is crap and theres nothing you can do about it. lucky the euro is a bloody great car. :)

You would think it is the stock HU but I still get the same hiss when using an aftermarket HU with speaker output. I tested my set up tonight using the G4 and LC6 using the same live and ground as my monoblock and it still had the same hiss.

The LC6 SHOULD be able to run the G4 perfectly. I either have:

1. LC6 is inducing it's own noise (highly doubt as it is meant to be top of the line) - Solution, get the Sven4

2. Stock HU + G4 are both producing noise (likely as stock HU isn't meant to be amplified and G4 is a computer with power supply + hard drive) - Solution, external USB sound card for my G4 and run RCAs

3. Bad ground for amps or ground length too long (possible as stock HU ground through factory ground point in dash where amps ground through chassis) - Solution, find a common ground point/ ground loop isolator

I will go through and try to isolate where the noise is coming through. I will try different LOCs and HUs (hopefully both speaker output and pre amp output). If it comes down to it and the LC6 is inducing noise/ not filtering hiss, I will probably rather spend $200 on an external USB sound card rather than fit another LOC.

If anybody else can see something I may have missed, please let me know :)

ICACHA
21-03-2008, 11:19 AM
give chris at audioexpress a buzz, hes in brisvegas and can solve it for you. bit hard to see what you have done over a forum...

r-r-redEuro
22-03-2008, 11:11 AM
well im running the LC6 aswell, i get the hiss aswell but i put my gains on lower so its not noticeable. what i reckon its the lc6. i went to another audio shop and they told me to go back to where i got it from and get the lc7 thats a new one.

but if you try it and find a solution to solve the hiss with the lc6 im interested =)

curik
23-03-2008, 03:02 AM
Just change the headunit, my static noise is gone after using an aftermarket headunit now. And also the sound quality is MUCH better with the new headunit. My setup is Focal Access Splits front and Focal Access 6x9 rear. No more noise, tighter bass and crisper sound even with EQ off. I see you have a point in wanting to keep the stock HU but also consider if you get an aftermarket HU you can plug your ipod or mp3 there

cutchorama
23-03-2008, 10:35 PM
well im running the LC6 aswell, i get the hiss aswell but i put my gains on lower so its not noticeable. what i reckon its the lc6. i went to another audio shop and they told me to go back to where i got it from and get the lc7 thats a new one.

but if you try it and find a solution to solve the hiss with the lc6 im interested =)

I don't think that it is a fault with the LC6 considering you and I have a very similar set up and a similar problem. It is more likely to be a ground loop. Do you ever have a whistle through your tweeters that changes pitch with RPM?

LC7 is the exact same as the LC6 except with iPod input. You can get a Dension unit which does this straight into your HU that will use your steering wheel controls.

What I think the hiss is coming from is the difference in potential between the stock HU, the LC6 and your amps. I'm not sure how long you ground is from your amp + LC6 but because it's not grounded where your HU is, this might be causing the hiss. I'm thinking of going the cheap way out and buying an external sound card for my G4 and running RCAs instead of using any LOC. I will try to find out how to fix the problem first but at the end of the day, stock HUs are simply not designed to be amplified.

RtN
24-03-2008, 01:26 PM
I dunno if this would help, but i've found a site that seemed thorough!

http://www.acuraworld.com/forums/f74/engine-noise-amp-speakers-49906/

r-r-redEuro
24-03-2008, 09:48 PM
I don't think that it is a fault with the LC6 considering you and I have a very similar set up and a similar problem. It is more likely to be a ground loop. Do you ever have a whistle through your tweeters that changes pitch with RPM?

LC7 is the exact same as the LC6 except with iPod input. You can get a Dension unit which does this straight into your HU that will use your steering wheel controls.

What I think the hiss is coming from is the difference in potential between the stock HU, the LC6 and your amps. I'm not sure how long you ground is from your amp + LC6 but because it's not grounded where your HU is, this might be causing the hiss. I'm thinking of going the cheap way out and buying an external sound card for my G4 and running RCAs instead of using any LOC. I will try to find out how to fix the problem first but at the end of the day, stock HUs are simply not designed to be amplified.

it might be, my set up is, the lc6 is pretty much next to my amps. i'll take a photo of it tommorow and show you guys. if i change my head unit id want a double din of some sort =/. thats why.

g_kn
25-04-2008, 06:02 PM
run the RCA Cables seperate from the battery cable

ouch
09-02-2012, 07:51 PM
bump this thread up.

i was wondering if anyone can help me with my static. when the gains are up (any gain) there is static. the higher the gain, the louder the static. there is static as soon as the HU turns on and keeps constant until the music drones it out.

and how does one tell when the speakers are pushed into clipping?

ouch
15-02-2012, 10:05 PM
someone help?

CRXDEL501
15-02-2012, 10:08 PM
someone help?

check your ground cable and power cable arent too close together from your amp. that can cause static

FongPei
17-02-2012, 01:00 PM
someone help?

Hey man, i had this problem on my Pioneer Headunit a while back. First things first, try a better quality aux cable.. if you haven't. What i did was take out my headunit again, check that all the connections were soldered and stable, then retaped them again. Go for thicker electrical tape because it does get hot behind the headunit and you don't really want bad connections.. could shortcircuit your car. Hope this helps =]

As with the clipping, don't go there =P just invest in a higher powered amp and save yourself frustration later!

Drifter995
17-02-2012, 06:47 PM
Afaik, It's either interference or a grounding issue.
Make sure your amp is grounded properly, make sure it's metal contact (so you don't have the cable attached to paint. if it is on paint, file the paint down, and put the cable back)
As for interference: make sure your power cable and rca's are in different sides of the car... Doesn't always make it happen, but it can be a caused sometimes.
Power and ground together won't do much.. it'd be signal interference.

But yeah, check those things, come back and tell if it's still there. If so, check the headunit.

ouch
19-02-2012, 09:01 PM
ive also got alternator whining when i accelerate - do these come hand in hand?

Drifter995
20-02-2012, 02:42 AM
Sounds like power cable too close to rca's and or bad ground.