PDA

View Full Version : Gsi power mods anyone?

Tegzieboi_BAR
28-02-2008, 12:52 PM
Hey guys i own a 94 Gsi n was hoping id get some ideas on how to get best powergains without spending too much cash. Ive got a K&N Pod with proper piping and heathield done already, planning to get an exhaust, about which i also have a question to ask. The standard Gsi exhaust is about 5mm under 2". I went to prolly the best exhaust workshop in adelaide n they suggested a 2" mandrell exhaust, as im looking for biggest improvements down low(as we all kno the power is pretty much non existant below 4grand), as well as a pretty quiet system. I kinda felt that 2" might b a lil small but they did seem like they knew what they were talking about. Is 2.25" a better option, coz i want biggest powergains, n if it means my cars gna b loud, well then it'll b loud.
Another thing, regarding the car's ECU, im planning to "Powerchip" it, but ive been hearing about the "Hondata" ECU system, anyone ever come across 1 n can give me any feedback?
Any mods, big or small, would be greatly appreciated, im kinda poor atm so if theres any small DIY mods please write them down n i'll give them a go. Cheers guys, any feedback much appreciated

dc2dc2dc2
28-02-2008, 12:53 PM
don't waste ur money
turbo is best option to go
little DIY won't do anything for a gsi.

ricki_kalsi
29-02-2008, 01:47 PM
Toda VTEC killer cams! :)

philBo
29-02-2008, 02:42 PM
don't waste ur money
turbo is best option to go
little DIY won't do anything for a gsi.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

tmy
29-02-2008, 02:48 PM
NEONS!

In regards to the zorst, from personal experience owning a S13 Silvia with 2' comparing it to a mates with 2.25' there was very minimal performance difference. Although completely different cars, so probable completely irrelevant information.

dudeling7
29-02-2008, 03:04 PM
go 2.25 how much is the exhaust going to cost? if around 800 i would reccommend getting a jap 60mm one either 2nd hand or new ones go for that as well.

DC4Integra98
29-02-2008, 11:45 PM
I was also in the same situation of gaining some kw from my DC4 but pretty much gave up in the end.

Many people supported and kept telling me to "sell and buy a DC2/DC2-R". In the end I think I 'riced' my dc4 instead of going for performance gains lol.
Moral: encourage those attempting to gain some kw or they will turn rice =)

ZeForce
01-03-2008, 12:21 AM
You live in Adalaide, forget about that Hondata or Powerchip bullshit, ProECU is the way to go :)

Jarkz
01-03-2008, 01:37 AM
I was also in the same situation of gaining some kw from my DC4 but pretty much gave up in the end.

Many people supported and kept telling me to "sell and buy a DC2/DC2-R". In the end I think I 'riced' my dc4 instead of going for performance gains lol.
Moral: encourage those attempting to gain some kw or they will turn rice =)

F*^k dude whack 1 of these things on then....
http://i6.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/ce/42/aca3_1.JPG

Or Anything for to prevent rice lol.

ricki_kalsi
03-03-2008, 12:57 PM
F*&K it!!! Poor some of this into your engine!!!

http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/9301/350mllabeltypebottlehs0hs0.jpg

Tegzieboi_BAR
05-03-2008, 12:27 AM
do they sell em at regular bottelos or what? haha
I frikken wish mate!

locote
05-03-2008, 04:08 PM
I had a GSi a couple of years ago...

I took it to the drags stock and managed a 15.6@88mph

after exhaust, 4-2-1 cheap header, 3inch SRI with k&n pod and SAFC2 best i ran was 15.1@90-91 mph
I had a set of crower 403s to go in it and a t3/4 setup aswell...

But i got my self a EG and stuck a B18c in it...
i reacon with the crowers and good tuner could have droped into mid 14s goin NA but i would have had to have got a better header and Skunk2 inlet manifold aswell...

Total all those NA mods up and its a more than just a few K???
Best way would have to strap the t3/4 to it and run 10 12 psi and would have been a quik car....

Moral of the story NA mods wont get u any quiker than a stock ITR maybe just a tad....

And for the cost of it all u might aswell go buy a ITR!!!!

So my motto for any one who wants to poor LOADS of $$$ into N/A mods for a GSI teg is BOOST IT OR LOOSE IT...

Sorry if i offended any one

94dc2tegz
05-03-2008, 04:36 PM
when you say 'i'm kinda poor atm' i assume u don't have much cash flow going but ur not stingy with ur car.

in that case best thing i could recommend is to get a job or another one!

cars are not cheap hobbies and just having the occasional DIY's and building up ur car with a lil elbow grease and a lot of hopes and dreams will get u no where except leave u constantly thinking of what to do next cuz ur never satisfied.

time and time again people say it over and over but i'll say it again
if your going to do it, do it properly.

otherwise u'd waste more money trying to correct ur past mistakes.

gL

Tegzieboi_BAR
05-03-2008, 06:15 PM
Cheers guys... i got a noob question here as ive never really got around 2 researching the differences between VTEC n gsi motors...

If i were 2 get a LS/VTEC conversion done... is it possible 2 put say a b18c head on my standard gsi block? What sort of benefits or power gains am i looking at n how much approximately am i looking at 4 a VTEC head n ECU(im assuming i'll need 1)?

Also, what r the major differences (if any) between the two blocks?

locote
05-03-2008, 06:23 PM
others that have done them will ad further..

But you will need a vtec ECU for starters, a LSVTEC oil supply kit, some how get the correct compresion( thinner gasket maybe).

and im sure theres a few other issues mods that have to be done to block head in order to put them together properly...
Im pretty sure the oil feeds to the head are an issue with a nonvtec block..

At the end of the day it will take more time and money to do than a 6-7psi DIY turbo kit, and performance wise will yield better bang for buck...

u want vtec buy a vtec teg or civic..
Want power from a B18A/B boost it...

ZeForce
05-03-2008, 06:57 PM
Cheers guys... i got a noob question here as ive never really got around 2 researching the differences between VTEC n gsi motors...

If i were 2 get a LS/VTEC conversion done... is it possible 2 put say a b18c head on my standard gsi block? What sort of benefits or power gains am i looking at n how much approximately am i looking at 4 a VTEC head n ECU(im assuming i'll need 1)?

Also, what r the major differences (if any) between the two blocks?

You can use either a B18c or B16a head, each have their own benefits but in the end it really doesnt matter. Would cost you roughly $1500 for complete head, gaskets, VTEC conversion kit, etc Also there is no need to replace your ECU if its OBD1 you can just chip it to run a different map. Powerwise a LSVTEC should be making similar power and torque to a B18c.

xntrik
06-03-2008, 11:59 PM
just turbo. no point staying NA in a GSI imo.