PDA

View Full Version : Short Ram Intakes

dupac->
28-02-2008, 03:17 PM
Was looking for some recomendations on whats good for a Short Ram Intake to buy.

Lately it's been pissing down in Sydney for WEEKS and floodings of some roads around and i really cant be bothered Hydro Locking the motor with my CAI. If worse comes to worse i can always put my stock air box back on.. but rather not coz i like the sound lol

any suggestions?

DC4Integra98
28-02-2008, 03:34 PM
simota short rams are very good for their price/quality

dupac->
28-02-2008, 03:36 PM
where to buy simota?
who sells?

DC4Integra98
28-02-2008, 03:42 PM
where to buy simota?
who sells?

Sorry didn't notice you were in Sydney. However usually you can find these systems on eBay or from one of the sellers in the traders section.

TJsol
28-02-2008, 04:06 PM
dude.. Edge automotive sells em! he a trader on OH!

pm 'edgeauto' they might b able 2 help u out..

dupac->
28-02-2008, 04:11 PM
cheers.

any other recommendations?

blahZ
28-02-2008, 04:13 PM
autojoy has them

dupac->
28-02-2008, 04:26 PM
wheres that?

blahZ
28-02-2008, 04:30 PM
up your bum

TJsol
28-02-2008, 04:33 PM
up your bum

bahahahaha...

ther arnd sydney bro! google it! lol..

dupac->
28-02-2008, 04:45 PM
lol stupid hai.

kn1ghtm4r3
28-02-2008, 04:51 PM
dun think theres a real need to worry about hydrolocking bro lol not unless u drive in puddles that are like insane LOL

What about hydrolock? Hydrolock occurs when the filter element becomes submerged in water causing the engine to actually suck in water. Water doesn't compress, so instead your piston rods will, obviously causing severe engine damage and costing lots of money.There is a simple solution though, if you are running a CAI, don't drive through puddles that you don't know the depth of! You aren't going to hydrolock an engine just because of a large rainstorm, it is standing water that is the biggest foe. If you live in rain susceptible area, or you are very worried about it, a CAI is probably not for you, you'll want to look at the alternatives.

stolen from a website lol

Jarkz
28-02-2008, 04:52 PM
www.australianauto.com.au

They might still sell cheap CF replicas of J's S/R intakes.

There in Melb though.

Riviera
28-02-2008, 05:06 PM
dun think theres a real need to worry about hydrolocking bro lol not unless u drive in puddles that are like insane LOL

What about hydrolock? Hydrolock occurs when the filter element becomes submerged in water causing the engine to actually suck in water. Water doesn't compress, so instead your piston rods will, obviously causing severe engine damage and costing lots of money.There is a simple solution though, if you are running a CAI, don't drive through puddles that you don't know the depth of! You aren't going to hydrolock an engine just because of a large rainstorm, it is standing water that is the biggest foe. If you live in rain susceptible area, or you are very worried about it, a CAI is probably not for you, you'll want to look at the alternatives.

stolen from a website lol

would hondas engines well not just honda, even have enough vacuum to suck that much water up.... and the only way its
going to reach the CAI is if the water is above the door sill level... i know i wouldnt drive through a puddle that deep

dupac->
28-02-2008, 05:13 PM
well have you seen the flooded roads ?

lol

my area is full of them

hoxton park road and the road next to it.

north liverpool road

cowpasture road.

im on hoxton park rd alot and always see floods in heavy rain
lol

joe jdm toy got hydro locked on hoxton park rd.

i dont care about hte rain but there was alot of roads going under water in my area. even on normal roads where the drains are blocked.

i cant really slam on the brakes in traffic or chuck a U turn when i feel like it
lol

the air filter would sit about 10cm inside the front bar...

dupac->
28-02-2008, 05:16 PM
10cm from the ground that is if it were to sit outside !

blahZ
28-02-2008, 05:17 PM
relaxxxxxx your ball sacks

shoot me a PQ cos i showed you where to get a simota :wave: :p

dupac->
28-02-2008, 05:19 PM
lol i cant give out pq hahha dont have enough points.

dzyn3
28-02-2008, 05:25 PM
du, you can't hydro lock your motor if you just cruise through it, using no throttle.
and it won't hydrolock your motor.
well shouldn't, done it many times, the water has a fair whack to travel before it goes into your intake manifold.
just cruise through it in neutral, and don't hammer it.
and if you have to, use very light throttle.

dupac->
28-02-2008, 05:30 PM
yeah.. dont even wanna risk it

but if its deep enough it would smother the air filter letting no air in and the car will stall.

even with no throttle.

well all depends on how deep and how slow u cruise through it.

my dad went into one and had to reverse out
LOL so deep

RMN15N
28-02-2008, 05:33 PM
du, you can't hydro lock your motor if you just cruise through it, using no throttle.
and it won't hydrolock your motor.
well shouldn't, done it many times, the water has a fair whack to travel before it goes into your intake manifold.
just cruise through it in neutral, and don't hammer it.
and if you have to, use very light throttle.

if you have a cold air intake.. i dont suggest you do this,
once the airfilter is locked with water, even if you do manage to get thru the other side , when you accelerate the water will be sucked out of the air filter into your manifold.

i thought the water i was going thru was shallow, i touched it about half a metre
While i was in neutral then was like **** that its to deep, so i reversed on a tiny bit of the throttle by then its to late, air filter submerged and water has been pushed in bending my con rods.

GG

fatboyz39
28-02-2008, 05:39 PM
short ram intake+ velocity stack + filter....one good combo.

RMN15N
28-02-2008, 05:44 PM
short ram intake+ velocity stack + filter....one good combo.

good way to save you some money, :thumbsup:

not as affective tho. but better safe then sorry.

kn1ghtm4r3
28-02-2008, 05:59 PM
well have you seen the flooded roads ?

lol

my area is full of them

hoxton park road and the road next to it.

north liverpool road

cowpasture road.

im on hoxton park rd alot and always see floods in heavy rain
lol

joe jdm toy got hydro locked on hoxton park rd.

i dont care about hte rain but there was alot of roads going under water in my area. even on normal roads where the drains are blocked.

i cant really slam on the brakes in traffic or chuck a U turn when i feel like it
lol

the air filter would sit about 10cm inside the front bar...

best option is to move houses lol. ahahah never go that way :thumbsup: if jdmtoy got gg then i guess sri or stick ur stock airbox back in lol

or the dodgy old pipe n pod from sca or something lmao

fatboyz39
28-02-2008, 05:59 PM
good way to save you some money, :thumbsup:

not as affective tho. but better safe then sorry.

affective? well we gain ~5kw atw back 2 back....................

Dy_
28-02-2008, 07:02 PM
short ram and box it out! feed some cold air into the box with flexi piping. when it rains take the flexi pipe out.

dsp26
28-02-2008, 07:08 PM
OR... if you want to keep your CAI and are only worried about hydrolock.. then spend only like $50 and get a bypass filter... it replaces the couple that joins the 2 piece cai.. if yours is one piece then get the angle grinder out.

but yeah cruising past a puddle isn't a good idea.. had it happen before... luckily i has idling... , engine stalled before anything dangerous happened but engine made a loud bang, i think it backfired/went lean.... luckily i had a metal mesh filter... water went straight back out....

Benson
28-02-2008, 08:12 PM
yeh your not suppose to full throttle through i puddle of water. I dont see why a car would hydro lock unless more than 50%throttle. When it rains, drive normal and nothing will happen to the car. Don't go more than 20% throttle and no vtec'ing. Happy days

dupac->
28-02-2008, 08:20 PM
i think im beyond puddles.

pools of water more like it.

blocked drains makes the water go all over the road couple cm's deep to.

rather not risk it dirving in it at all..

cant afford a new block everytime this happens lol.

whats you guys definition of a puddle? lol

RMN15N
28-02-2008, 08:36 PM
my wallets unhappy.. but i am *puts on a smart arse face*
ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh..

btw i didnt even 50% throttle it when i was tryin to get out of the water,
it just stalled and i tryed cranking it .
*shrugs

best bet is not to drive near "puddles" again

dupac->
28-02-2008, 08:43 PM
lol
ur puddle was the size of a olympic pool joe
hahaha

dsp26
28-02-2008, 08:57 PM
i think im beyond puddles.

pools of water more like it.

blocked drains makes the water go all over the road couple cm's deep to.

rather not risk it dirving in it at all..

cant afford a new block everytime this happens lol.

whats you guys definition of a puddle? lol

then get an SRI or mod one to fit the stock airbox, bottom of the airbox has drilled holes allover it (spare box) and airflow is great.. actually felt the difference from just unmoded box...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/dsp26/DSC00020.jpg

dupac->
28-02-2008, 09:00 PM
yeah probs gonna go down that track.

what i was planning was mod my resonator for the cai.. but then im thinking if water does get in the resonator theres no way of it getting out

but yeah
gonna get sri for nice summer days
lol

55EXX
28-02-2008, 09:03 PM
could you some how make a by pass valve that only when you need to go thru puddles that it opens a valve higher in the engine bay to suck air there? even if you have to get out open it up that way. that will allow it to suck minimal air for light throttle thru there. wouldn't take much to hole cut the piping weld some 2" pipe and have a air tight screw top or plug. you could even if you wanted buy a foam uni filter like those used on itb trumpets and keep it in your boot etc to cover it for longet runs. that would definately lower to vacuum pressure at the submerged pod to stop water from getting carried all the way up.

rawr
28-02-2008, 09:05 PM
my simota makes a funny noise lmao..

I hit a puddle once :) braked.. guy on the left did the same thing and went into my lane and my door scratched my mirror.. lucky it was in the concerto =)

Feverpitched
28-02-2008, 09:06 PM
could you some how make a by pass valve that only when you need to go thru puddles that it opens a valve higher in the engine bay to suck air there?

I guess you could use a 2 piece CAI and just disconnect the lower pipe when you start seeing lakes on the road. Just remember to keep a spare gym sock in the car so you can use it as a makeshift filter until you get home :cool:

xtat1k
28-02-2008, 09:18 PM
my wallets unhappy.. but i am *puts on a smart arse face*
ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh..

btw i didnt even 50% throttle it when i was tryin to get out of the water,
it just stalled and i tryed cranking it .
*shrugs

best bet is not to drive near "puddles" again

see what happens when you listen to soulja boy too much. lol
call me up in the middle of the night to come rescue you!

DU just use stock intake arm and a pod for the time being until weather stops being shit.

Dy_
28-02-2008, 09:28 PM

DU just use stock intake arm and a pod for the time being until weather stops being shit.

that sucks!

SRI ftw.

dupac->
28-02-2008, 09:31 PM

lol
u drove through the pool bro!

hahahaha
and joes front bar floating away..

narh i want sri for fun too!

change it up abit!

back on topic
reccommended sri's please
lol

xtat1k
28-02-2008, 09:37 PM
AEM has sri's, have a look at them !

dupac->
28-02-2008, 10:00 PM
fck man.. dont be lazy
link me to something
HAHAH!

Feverpitched
28-02-2008, 10:10 PM
SRI's are SRI's.

You won't notice much (if any) difference between one over another. The filter is something I'd look at upgrading to something decent though.

xtat1k
28-02-2008, 10:17 PM
Stock has less restriction though.

http://www.autoanything.com/air-intakes/60A2054A0A0.aspx

google is your friend ducac u lazy mofo.

Dy_
28-02-2008, 10:47 PM
Du, i got a mate selling a simota whale penis intake! just remembered.

rayb3na_
28-02-2008, 11:11 PM
hrmms alot of people are saying ease off on the throttle when hitting a puddle.. when i ease off the gas the puddle slows my car down and the front starts getting fishy? or is that just me?

solution: VTEC BEFORE AND THROUGH PUDDLE! you will be travelling fast enough for your car to skip over the puddle! =DD **sarcasm** please do not try this!!

rawr
29-02-2008, 12:10 AM
^^ wheels lose grip so car will become fishy.. brakes will also not work as well as there is no grip on tires :)

kazam
29-02-2008, 02:42 PM
AEM SRI!!!!!!!!!!

ftw.

xtercii
01-03-2008, 02:25 AM
shit didn't know hydrolocks would happen this easily...and there are quite a few cases in sydney already...

Jarkz
01-03-2008, 04:41 AM
Just had a good look at that site i gave you...

This wasn't on there last time i looked wtf?
http://www.australianauto.com.au/HTML/Images/SIM-PT617-2%20aero%20form%20kit.jpg

Looks pretty snazzie...

I'm sure that pipe could spin around and :p

dupac->
01-03-2008, 03:10 PM
i just got myself a BLOX velocity stack, and just need to get a pipe made for the short ram.
ill post pics when done.
lol

bigjo5
02-03-2008, 08:33 PM
obvioulsy if the aifitler is fully submerged no matter what its gonna suck in water anyways doesnt matter if its 10 % or 50% throttle

lilwilliam
02-03-2008, 09:01 PM
PVC piping du :P
or u could try auto excel across the road from st johns bowling.

redinteg
04-03-2008, 04:42 PM
Get the angle grinder out cut your Cai off to make it into an SRI and join it back together with a suitable joiner and some hose clamps. Cai for for good weather or stick the filter on the short part for crap weather.

Riviera
05-03-2008, 09:41 AM
yeah probs gonna go down that track.

what i was planning was mod my resonator for the cai.. but then im thinking if water does get in the resonator theres no way of it getting out

but yeah
gonna get sri for nice summer days
lol

there is a plug int eh bottom of the resonator u could permanantly remove
that or cut out a larger hole in the bottom side and install a one way rubber
flap sorta thing so it flushes out, doesnt come back in lol

dupac->
06-03-2008, 07:55 AM
PVC piping du :P
or u could try auto excel across the road from st johns bowling.

sif pvc piping!
hahah boo to you william!

Get the angle grinder out cut your Cai off to make it into an SRI and join it back together with a suitable joiner and some hose clamps. Cai for for good weather or stick the filter on the short part for crap weather.

narh rather keep my existing cai in one piece. lol good idea though i was thinking the same thing, but better off just buying the sri

there is a plug int eh bottom of the resonator u could permanantly remove
that or cut out a larger hole in the bottom side and install a one way rubber
flap sorta thing so it flushes out, doesnt come back in lol

yeah i was thinking of different ways.. but if you make it water proof.. its close to air tight so wouldnt help much in the sucking air part of it
lol. probably just as restricted as an air box.

might try it one day though.