PDA

View Full Version : choking / squealing noise after cam belt done

Juzz18
28-02-2008, 07:53 PM
I have this problem with my car. My mate who is a honda mech changed my cam belt for me over the weekend. Now the car was tested fine and drove well. I've been driving it for a few days since and driving doesn't seem to be effected but i noticed a loud choking / squealing noise when starting it tonight. This was after a big drive so it seems it only happens when the engine heats up.

At first it sounds like it's a choking noise coming from where the drive belts are then it starts to squeal. My mate pulled it apart. checked all belts disconnected air con and power steering pulleies and belts and still same thing. Checked the tension on the cam belt and everything seems fine. Seems the noise is coming from crank and or water pump. when the car is off and he turns the pulley that the cam belt is on with a wrench it seems to sqeek but only at a certain point in the rotation. it is possible it's something really small but without a hoist and the tool to do the cam belt he was unable to diagnose further and he got no clue. He's done heaps of belts before and reckons he never herd of this noise.

I'm thinking a baring of some sort or the water pump in general.

I'm pretty sure im loosing coolant as well cause the reserve tank was low and the coolant was also do on the weekend. There might of been an air bubble in one of the hoses but with that said i haven't noticed any leaks underneith.

Anyone got any ideas?????

A-man
03-03-2008, 11:08 AM
um general rule of thumb is if ur in there changing the belt u do the water pump to... because its like all pumps u dont know when it will fail. any mechanic would tell u to do that

the other reason for doing that is coz were lazy and dont like re-work

what happens if u put some sort of crc or something on the belts it should go away then... if it does its just the belt

if it doesnt its somethings else.

the cooling system shouldve been bleed to stop heat spots from forming and if there is air in ur system u will use alot of water

best thing for that is to bleed the system properly and see how u go.

hope it helps a little

the reserve tank or overflow tank or whatever u want to call it works by dumping some water when the pressure gets to much and pushes the radiator cap up... and when it cools down it creates a vacumn and there fore the radiator is then replenished...

THIS WON'T WORK IF THERE IS AIR IN THE SYSTEM

:)

Juzz18
03-03-2008, 07:28 PM
hey. thanks for the reply. problem all fixed now!

Turned out 2 be 2 things:

bolt was loose on timing cover near the harmonic balancer.

and

timing belt tension wasn't done right at the belt was loose at the bottom end as well as hitting the cover.

i was lucky that it didn't slip and break a tooth or something otherwise i could of been up for big bucks!

A-man
03-03-2008, 07:46 PM
cool

just out of interest was the crank pulley left hand thread ?????

Juzz18
03-03-2008, 07:51 PM
umm not sure to be honest. i'm not soo technical when it comes to the mechaincs. only know the basics. i dont think so cause he would of mentioned it to me when he looked at it. i think he said one of the bolts on the timing cover that was loose was threaded and that explains the noise louder at times cause it was knocking it about.